Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Layout issues translating .svg files - any ideas?
Thread poster: Adrian Garcia-Landa
Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:46
German to Swedish
+ ...
Other way around Apr 10, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

What I mean is that this translator, even if devoid of visually creative sill/talent, can adjust TEXT that was, say, in Helvetica 9pt over 12pt, into Arial 9 pt over 11.5pt, for it to cover exactly the same area, if the text has swollen a bit in translation, provided some software enables them to do it.

Rewrite your text until it fits the art direction, never the other way around (at least not in jobs where design quality counts for anything).

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's what I meant Apr 10, 2017

Joakim Braun wrote:

What I mean is that this translator, even if devoid of visually creative sill/talent, can adjust TEXT that was, say, in Helvetica 9pt over 12pt, into Arial 9 pt over 11.5pt, for it to cover exactly the same area, if the text has swollen a bit in translation, provided some software enables them to do it.

Rewrite your text until it fits the art direction, never the other way around (at least not in jobs where design quality counts for anything).

To create a new publication from text content plus a bunch of pics and make it look great, is a job for a creative art director. After it has been created so, and translation has offset the text to some extent, realigning it in the space it occupied before, especially having a computer that allows instant trials and errors, is closer to painting by the numbers.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
The usual way Apr 10, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

An important "gray area" between translation and DTP is "restoring the layout after translation". This does NOT involve learning graphic design, but merely learning to use DTP tools to format the translated text in order to make it look as much like the original as possible.

I see no gray area between translation and DTP in terms of restoring the layout after translation. Without graphic design (and information design & technical communication) principles or basic knowledge, a translator, however proficient in a DTP program he or she is, will not know how to implement an appropriate target-language layout to the document.

Unlike math, chemistry and other exact sciences, document layout is not predicated upon universals: each language has a document, book or brochure layout tradition that has to be considered, accounted for and applied as best as possible.

Put it another way, no amount of knowledge about Photoshop will make you a better photographer.

The gray area is in terms of the service offered. A customer wants their publication both translated AND looking like the original. This may involve one or two separate vendors.

If it's one, it is more likely to have a translator who can "dupe" text formatting (supposedly s/he won't fidget with illustrations) than a DTP operator who is capable of translating.

What I mean is that this translator, even if devoid of visually creative sill/talent, can adjust TEXT that was, say, in Helvetica 9pt over 12pt, into Arial 9 pt over 11.5pt, for it to cover exactly the same area, if the text has swollen a bit in translation, provided some software enables them to do it. No Michelangelo required here.

Henrique, we agree on that last part: agencies, DTP departments and the like only want the translator, whoever he is, to just adjust text and they'll take care of the rest.

I'm just pushing my two careers into a happy medium, which has a bit of information design, technical writing, graphic design and translation.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Layout issues translating .svg files - any ideas?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »