Off topic: Thanksgiving
Thread poster: Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2003

Friends,

Okay, so we didn't beat the Spanish in October 1575, but we are celebrating a Thanksgiving of our own over her in the States. This is just a quick note to say that in addition to being thankful for health and family, I appreciate the interesting things I have learned here, and the nice people I have been able to get to know, as well as the help with a phrase or two that has me stumped. Thank you. (Or in the way my Brabants speaking grandmother would say it...Gij zijt bedankt!)

For the Americans among us, I hope you are surrounded by good friends and family today, and root for the Packers.

Sincerely,

Jason

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Turkey and gravy-flavoured soda Nov 27, 2003

Did you buy any of the turkey and gravy-flavoured soda they are selling this year to celebrate the event? According to a news programme in the UK this morning, a bottle of the stuff - said to be unpalatable even by the manufacturer - sold on ebay for 70 pounds yesterday...

Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jones soda Nov 27, 2003

I haven't since it is only sold in a couple of places. Jones makes some of my favorite sodas, but I admit that this is a little beyond what I would consider trying.

Here is one of several ebay auctions going on right now for the stuff:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3256604803&category=13915

-JR

Anne Lee wrote:

Did you buy any of the turkey and gravy-flavoured soda they are selling this year to celebrate the event? According to a news programme in the UK this morning, a bottle of the stuff - said to be unpalatable even by the manufacturer - sold on ebay for 70 pounds yesterday...

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:20
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
’s Lands wijs, ’s lands eer Nov 28, 2003

Ik weet niet helemaal zeker of er verband bestaat tussen Thanksgiving en “onze” dankdag.
Bij ons in de kerk vieren / houden ze standaard een bid- en dankdag in lente respectievelijk voorjaar.
Mijn ooit eens aan het sanhedrin (zoals we de kerktop wel eens noemen vanwege de “machtspositie”) gestelde vraag of er dan niet te hoeft te worden gebeden en gedankt voor de boerenkool die ’s winters mooi doorgroeit en het werk dat wordt verricht tussen november en maart, leverde al even standaard fronsende blikken op “Hoezo boerenkool? Was je daar al tussen vandaan dan?” Goed beschouwd gaf Bartje er blijk van roeping tot een kerkelijke functie te hebben toen hij het vertikte om voor bruine bonen te bidden.
Soda is hier overigens een reinigingsmiddel, en Turkije opeten, daar denkt ook al niemand aan.

JTLingos  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Turkey soda Nov 29, 2003

That sounds really gross. I'm glad I read about it AFTER Thanksgiving. Do you know of anyone who has actually tried the stuff?

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Turkey soda would be a turkey Nov 29, 2003

To talk turkey, it seems to be Turkey AND Soda. This and surely is not to no end.
Please keep your end up and try eventually the Turkey berry to wash down the Turkey cock, Turkey bird, Turkey buzzard, Turkey vulture, Turkey pout or Turkey hen.

Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
survival Nov 30, 2003

Henk Peelen wrote:

Ik weet niet helemaal zeker of er verband bestaat tussen Thanksgiving en “onze” dankdag.
Bij ons in de kerk vieren / houden ze standaard een bid- en dankdag in lente respectievelijk voorjaar.

The standard story of the origins of Thanksgiving - as celebrated in the US these days - can be read here: http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g007.html. However, many cultures and communities around the world have traditionally celebrated a harvest festival in the autumn to give thanks for a successful crop. Although pagans may thank the elements, Christians thank the Lord and Norsemen thank Urda, the uniting factor is the celebration of the survival of the community through the impending winter.

Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some Connections Nov 30, 2003

There are some ties...

The Pilgrims lived first in Leiden for 10 years. When the pilgrims (who called themselves 'Saints') became concerned that their children were being influenced by the lifestyles of the Dutch folks around them they decided to leave. One well-known account bemoans the fact that their children were learning to speak Dutch. There were a number of Dutch people on the Mayflower, both Saints and Strangers (what the non-pilgrims were called).

To this day the most common hymn song in America this weekend was "Prayer of Thanksgiving" which is also called "We Gather Together", the hymn and lyrics straight outta a 16th century Dutch hymnal.

Canadians used to celebrate Thanksgiving the same weekend as we Unistatians do, but they moved it to October a while back. In the Republic of the Marshall Islands the exact same day we celebrate is celebrated as Komolol Day (Literally Thnsgiving day), but the focus is obviously not on the Pilgrims, but on things important to the Marshallese folks.

Of course, there are plenty of clueless Americans overseas who are bewildered that it is hard to find Turkey in parts of Europe in November, but these are in that rare group who also wonder what various European cities will have for celebrations on July 4th. (Dublin actually does have an incredible 4th of July festival.)

-JR

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Thanksgiving

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs