jarry (X)  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 00:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2002

Time accounting vs. time recording

See:http://www.proz.com/glossary/214827

I am constantly amazed at the indiscriminate reliance some people place on Google hits (the more the better apparently). What is really needed, as in this case, is subject knowledge, especially knowledge acquired in an environment where the term under review is used on a daily basis.

I would like to clarify the issue as follows:

Tijdverantwoording = time accounting
... See more

I am constantly amazed at the indiscriminate reliance some people place on Google hits (the more the better apparently). What is really needed, as in this case, is subject knowledge, especially knowledge acquired in an environment where the term under review is used on a daily basis.

I would like to clarify the issue as follows:

Tijdverantwoording = time accounting

Tijdregistratie = time records /recording.

The difference between these two terms is that fee earners (such as I was when working for Ernst & Young for 22 years) have to account for every hour of their time by completing time sheets (time records) which are then processed by the firm\'s accounting department to bill the clients served by these fee earners.

This is yet another example of a term which needs to be understood to be interpreted correctly. Time accounting is indeed the only correct term in this context.

Google hits are very well but they need to be understood, and interpreting them in the relevant context is essential.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-08 11:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-08 17:26 ]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
To which question are you referring, Jarry? Jun 8, 2002

Could you post the link to the url?

[addsig]

jarry (X)
South Africa
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Urenverantwoording: see http://www.proz.com/glossary/214827 Jun 8, 2002

Evert, the question was \"urenverantwoording\" (see URL above)

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
welcome to the real life Jun 9, 2002

All I can say is that you feel you are always right at all cost just because you\'ve always done it this way at a certain company. We all appreciate your considerable knowledge, but they\'re must be room for others too. Furthermore, I feel the forum is really neither the place to air your views on any particular question, nor to belabour your point on Google hits. As far as I can see, both entries were valid, and it\'s really up to the asker to decide. You have to bear in mind that different co... See more
All I can say is that you feel you are always right at all cost just because you\'ve always done it this way at a certain company. We all appreciate your considerable knowledge, but they\'re must be room for others too. Furthermore, I feel the forum is really neither the place to air your views on any particular question, nor to belabour your point on Google hits. As far as I can see, both entries were valid, and it\'s really up to the asker to decide. You have to bear in mind that different companies use different vocabularies to indicate certain concepts, indeed, even create their own vocabularies. Who am I to say, but I don\'t feel that\'s necesarily wrong, what it is, is real life: where language is \'wielded\' by cultural architects (to stay in tune with yet another question posed in this vein).

Marijke
Collapse

Meturgan
Meturgan
Hungary
English to Dutch
+ ...
Reopen the case Jun 9, 2002

I agree wholeheartedly with you Jarry, as I most of the time do. I would suggest to the Moderator to reopen the case if, like in this case, an obviously mistaken translation has been put in the glossary.

With kind regards,

Meturgan

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
forum is *the* place Jun 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-09 08:44, MarikaJoan wrote:

[ ... ] Furthermore, I feel the forum is really neither the place to air your views on any particular question, nor to belabour your point on Google hits.

What is the forum for then? And if you can\'t discuss views on issues raised by questions here, where can you do it? In any case, your response to Jarry\'s comments only serves to enhance the va... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-09 08:44, MarikaJoan wrote:

[ ... ] Furthermore, I feel the forum is really neither the place to air your views on any particular question, nor to belabour your point on Google hits.

What is the forum for then? And if you can\'t discuss views on issues raised by questions here, where can you do it? In any case, your response to Jarry\'s comments only serves to enhance the validity of this forum as the place to discuss these issues!!

Quote:

As far as I can see, both entries were valid, and it\'s really up to the asker to decide. You have to bear in mind that different companies use different vocabularies

Yet that doesn\'t mean that urenregistratie and urenverantwoording are synonymous. On the contrary. One refers to the mere fact of recording information, while the other refers to the responsibility of a person to record his/her time and *account* for it.

Collapse

Bart B. Van Bockstaele
Bart B. Van Bockstaele  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:30
Dutch
+ ...
Context, Begrip, Kennis, Onderzoek Jun 9, 2002

Google is een bijzonder krachtig hulpmiddel bij het vertalen. Maar net als alle andere hulpmiddelen kan het ook verkeerd worden gebruikt.

Een woord vinden via Google of een ander zoekprogramma betekent niet dat dit woord \'bestaat\', algemeen wordt gebruikt of juist is.

Wat moet je bijvoorbeeld denken van \"bladzeide\"?

Een woord dat meer voorkomt dan e
... See more
Google is een bijzonder krachtig hulpmiddel bij het vertalen. Maar net als alle andere hulpmiddelen kan het ook verkeerd worden gebruikt.

Een woord vinden via Google of een ander zoekprogramma betekent niet dat dit woord \'bestaat\', algemeen wordt gebruikt of juist is.

Wat moet je bijvoorbeeld denken van \"bladzeide\"?

Een woord dat meer voorkomt dan een ander is niet noodzakelijk beter. De combinatie bladzijde tekst komt bijvoorbeeld 9700 keer voor in Google.

De combinatie pagina tekst komt maar liefst 242000 keer voor in Google.

Nochtans is \"bladzijde\" een veel \"Nederlandser\" woord dan \"pagina\" en wordt het allerminst als verkeerd beschouwd.

De combinatie keer meer als komt 441000 keer voor in Google.

De combinatie keer meer dan komt 426000 keer voor in Google.

Het lijkt dus dat \"keer meer als\" meer voorkomt dan \"keer meer dan\". Maar de vraag was verkeerd. Hier wordt er enkel gezocht naar teksten waarin de drie woorden voorkomen. Die woorden kunnen op willekeurige plaatsen in de tekst voorkomen.

Dit is beter:

De combinatie \"keer meer dan\" komt 1120 keer voor in Google.

De combinatie \"keer meer als\"komt 42 keer voor in Google. Heel wat minder dan \"keer meer dan\", maar het is toch nog altijd veel. Toch zullen er maar weinig mensen beweren dat \"keer meer als\" juist is. Iemand die het Nederlands minder goed kent, kan hieruit echter wel besluiten dat \"keer meer als\" een goede woordkeuze is.

Het feit dat woorden of combinaties van woorden voorkomen, betekent echter nog niet veel. Ze moeten ook passen in een brede en een beperkte context. Het Engelse harddisk wordt in het Nederlands vertaald als harde schijf. Het wordt ook vertaald als vaste schijf.

In een brede context is vaste schijf ronduit verkeerd. Waarom? Harddisk betekent letterlijk harde schijf en dat is er ook de echte betekenis van. Harde schijven zijn (bijna altijd) metaalplaten. Ze zijn hard, in tegenstelling tot floppy disks of flodderschijven die uit een soepel, buigzaam plastic zijn vervaardigd. Het betekent echter geenszins dat vaste schijf altijd verkeerd is.

In een beperkte context kan vaste schijf wel degelijk juist zijn, bijvoorbeeld als je het hebt over de externe schijf in tegenstelling tot de interne vaste schijf. Hoe zwaar en onverplaatsbaar een externe schijf ook mag zijn, hij kan nooit een vaste schijf zijn omdat hij eenvoudig aan een andere computer kan worden gekoppeld.

Maar daar stopt het niet. Nogal wat mensen zweren bij hoog en bij laag bij vaste schijf. En zij hebben het dus lang niet altijd over fixed disks maar vaak ook over harddisks. Hun terminologie is verkeerd, maar zoiets gebeurt nu eenmaal. Of je vaste schijf vertaalt door fixed disk of door harddisk moet dus niet alleen uit de context blijken maar ook uit de reële betekenis van de tekst. Dit heeft niets met interpretatie te maken, maar alles met begrijpen wat de auteur schrijft.

Vandaar dat mensen die beweren dat een vertaler de tekst niet moet begrijpen en ook het onderwerp niet hoeft te kennen, gevaarlijke gekken zijn. Vandaar dat teksten die zijn vertaald door hulpmiddelen als Trados (\"never translate the same sentence again.\") potentieel gevaarlijke teksten zijn. Een vertaler die het onderwerp iets minder goed kent, kan ravages aanrichten en levens kosten.

Om die reden kan ik het niet eens met de stelling dat time accounting de enige juiste vertaling is van tijdverantwoording. Als er geen context is, als het zelfs een alleenstaand woord is, dan is time accounting ongetwijfeld de beste vertaling. EN volgens de vraagsteller was er geen context:

urenverantwoording

Geen context

Maar in de laatste reactie:

Als het over formulieren ging, had ik time sheets gebruikt, maar het ging dus over de handeling. Dat had ik natuurlijk wel even kunnen aangeven in de context.

Er was dus wel degelijk context.

Maar er is meer. In veel bedrijven zal men nooit zeggen dat je je uren moet verantwoorden. Zeker in grote bedrijven met sterke vakbonden, is dat verdraaid gevaarlijk. Daar zal men veeleer zeggen dat je je uren moet opschrijven ter analyse van het arbeidsproces (in gewonemensentaal: wat spook je daar de hele tijd uit?).

Verder is het ook zo, dat het verrekt moeilijk is je tijd (uren) te verantwoorden als je ze niet opschrijft en erbij vermeldt wat je dan hebt gedaan. De neutrale timesheet kan dan in een programma voor time accounting (boekhoudprogramma voor tijdgebruik) worden ingevoerd.

Met andere woorden, de stelling dat Tijdverantwoording = time accounting is betwistbaar. Time accounting kàn tijdverantwoording betekenen maar dat hoeft helemaal niet. Als je werkelijk ondubbelzinnig wilt zijn, dan moet je het hebben over Time Justification.

Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
Google Jun 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-08 09:10, jarry wrote:

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-08 09:10, jarry wrote:

I couldn\'t agree more. Expert knowledge is the key to a good translation. Any good translator knows his limits

Quote:

[ ... ] Google hits are very well but they need to be understood, and interpreting them in the relevant context is essential.

For example, this would also appear in Google as a hit for \"time recording\": \"... it\'s important to keep in time. Recording music in a professional studio ...\". Obviously, when you take the trouble to locate the hit in the text and assess it, you realise it has nothing to do with \"time recording\" at all. ▲ Collapse

jarry (X)
South Africa
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google hits and the right to speak one's mind! Jun 9, 2002

Marijke wrote:

Quote: All I can say is that you feel you are always right at all cost just because you\'ve always done it this way at a certain company. We all appreciate your considerable knowledge, but they\'re must be room for others too. Furthermore, I feel the forum is really neither the place to air your views on any particular question, nor to belabour your point on Google hits.(unquote)

It is typical of you, Marijke, isn\'t it to launch a personal att
... See more

Marijke wrote:

Quote: All I can say is that you feel you are always right at all cost just because you\'ve always done it this way at a certain company. We all appreciate your considerable knowledge, but they\'re must be room for others too. Furthermore, I feel the forum is really neither the place to air your views on any particular question, nor to belabour your point on Google hits.(unquote)

It is typical of you, Marijke, isn\'t it to launch a personal attack on me when all we are doing is to discuss the merits of Google hits.

Marijke wrote:

Quote: As far as I can see, both entries were valid, and it\'s really up to the asker to decide. You have to bear in mind that different companies use different vocabularies to indicate certain concepts, indeed, even create their own vocabularies.(unquote)

I was fully in agreement with the answer chosen by the asker! Which goes to show that you are so focused on discrediting me in every way you can that you are blinded by your own prejudice towards me.

Marijke wrote:

Quote: Who am I to say, but I don\'t feel that\'s necesarily wrong, what it is, is real life: where language is \'wielded\' by cultural architects (to stay in tune with yet another question posed in this vein).

Do you really think that I could stay in business as a (very successful) freelance translator without staying in touch with developments in terminology and language generally? I am very proud of my background at E&Y and the training I had there. It has really made me into what I am today.

To return to the subject under discussion, I would agree wholeheartedly with Chris that subject knowledge is the key to a good translation, not Google hits. It is no coincidence that so many translators today are lawyers, accountants, scientists, medical practitioners, to name but a few. They are in a position to apply their intimate knowledge of a subject to a translation, instead of messing around with Google hits without knowing precisely what they mean.
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Cheer up Jun 11, 2002

Beste mensen,

Uit een column van Koelman (Metro):

\"Het geschater werkte als een bevrijding. Volkomen tevreden hing Peper nu in zijn zwartlederen fauteuil op wieltjes. De gedachte hoe het voltallig gemeentebestuur zijn hard geworden snot van de penning schraapte, ontspande hem. Hij zag die besmuikte koppen al voor zich. Stelletje sukkels. Hij schoof zijn handen triomfantelijk achter zijn hoofd en leunde achterover. Alles suisde en voelde licht. Iets brak
... See more
Beste mensen,

Uit een column van Koelman (Metro):

\"Het geschater werkte als een bevrijding. Volkomen tevreden hing Peper nu in zijn zwartlederen fauteuil op wieltjes. De gedachte hoe het voltallig gemeentebestuur zijn hard geworden snot van de penning schraapte, ontspande hem. Hij zag die besmuikte koppen al voor zich. Stelletje sukkels. Hij schoof zijn handen triomfantelijk achter zijn hoofd en leunde achterover. Alles suisde en voelde licht. Iets brak door, alsof het altijd al op de loer had gelegen. De gloed van het grote gelijk, overstelpend en reusachtig.

Peper verroerde zich niet, maar het was zijn eigen lichaam dat bewoog. De zitting van zijn fauteuil schuurde traag langs billen en onderrug. Hij gleed nog verder weg. Wervel voor wervel, rib voor rib. De fauteuil ratelde en botste tegen de deur achter hem. Pepers billen ploften op het pluche vloerkleed en nog net zag hij hoe het eikenhouten bureaublad als een reusachtige zonsverduistering tussen hem en het plafond doorgleed.\"

Is Jezus beter dan Mohammed?

Onlangs las ik een \'vrije tribune\' over dit onderwerp en heb een paar passages uit de context gerukt en wat aangepast:

Het doel van de dialoog in deze fora is niet het bekeren van de ander tot het eigen grote gelijk, evenmin als het gezamenlijk ontwerpen van een religieus Esperanto (eenheidsgodsdienst boven alle religies) of het erkennen van een grootste gemene deler.

De bedoeling is veeleer dat vertalers betere vertalers worden.

Dit omvat twee samenhangende dimensies:

- dialoog kan leiden tot een sterkere verankering in de eigen traditie en gemeenschap;

- zonder dat ze totalitair en gesloten worden.

Vrucht van de dialoog is immers ook de ontwikkeling van een gemeenschappelijk kritisch bewustzijn.

Dit wordt enerzijds door vele tradities in dialoog gevoed, maar is anderzijds niet los verkrijgbaar van een eigen traditie.

De ware scheidingslijn binnen de dialoog loopt dan niet langer tussen de verschillende meningen, beschouwingen enz onderling, maar tussen totalitaire toeschouwers en bescheiden deelnemers.

Laat ons dus gewoon bescheiden dialogerende deelnemers blijven.

En daar mag best wat discussie bij komen kijken. De wereld zal niet vergaan.

Maar een fout blijft uiteraard een fout

Cheer up,

Evert

[addsig]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Google hit count - interpreting it in the relevant context is essential

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »