English -> Flemish, Pagemaker, Framemaker
Thread poster: Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2002

What are the chances that the two recent jobs posted as English > Flemish for Framemaker and Pagemaker are one and the same (albeit posted by different agencies)?

The Flemish/Dutch question aside, and without getting into specifics about rates or comments that would better be aired in the Blue Board section, I wanted to just ask a couple of things. I should mention that my background in translating has been largely in academics until recently. That is to say, for the last 10 years I
... See more
What are the chances that the two recent jobs posted as English > Flemish for Framemaker and Pagemaker are one and the same (albeit posted by different agencies)?

The Flemish/Dutch question aside, and without getting into specifics about rates or comments that would better be aired in the Blue Board section, I wanted to just ask a couple of things. I should mention that my background in translating has been largely in academics until recently. That is to say, for the last 10 years I have been doing translations with fellow academics mostly for my own research or on collaborative projects with peers. So I am still learning the ropes of the freelance world. I have seen other complaints in this forum about people wanting bargain-basement prices, and I have noted that some of these agencies are located in places like El Salvador. But an agency based in Illinois, wanting translations for a Belgian audience and requiring software which costs hundreds of dollars...and on top of that expecting some proofreading of previously translated material (and who knows what that looks like!?!)...is it out of line to ask for a slightly higher rate than translating a complete 800 word text in, say, Microsoft Word?Is there a difference in this between the US and Europe (maybe accepted one place but not the other)? Een goed paard is zijn haver waard, of course, but how do you convince an agency of that...or is it better to just write such agencies off?

Apologies if this is off-topic, or otherwise out of place.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

English -> Flemish, Pagemaker, Framemaker

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »