Thread poster: Nadezhda Osipova
Nadezhda Osipova
Nadezhda Osipova
Local time: 10:12
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 10, 2003

Hello.

Tell me if I\'m a translator of English-Russian-French and plan to live for about one year in the Netherlands is it possible for me to become a freelancer and how does it work?

Please, reply in English I\'m not that good yet in Dutch.

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
Immigration laws are strict in the Netherlands Jan 11, 2003

and rightly so, as the place is very small, already overcrowded, jobs are scarce and it is very expensive to rent a place. It is definitely not paradise as there is an undercurrent of lots of illegal, and therefore poorly paid people, who do not qualify to benefit from the Dutch system. If you are an EU citizen, you can, of course, live where you want within the EU. If you are a freelance translator and are online, you might as well work right from where you are now as this is what freelancing i... See more
and rightly so, as the place is very small, already overcrowded, jobs are scarce and it is very expensive to rent a place. It is definitely not paradise as there is an undercurrent of lots of illegal, and therefore poorly paid people, who do not qualify to benefit from the Dutch system. If you are an EU citizen, you can, of course, live where you want within the EU. If you are a freelance translator and are online, you might as well work right from where you are now as this is what freelancing is all about, you have the best of both worlds!

Good luck!

Marijke

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-11 05:45]
Collapse

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
come on down! Jan 24, 2003

Presuming you\'re legal to work in the EU, there\'s nothing to stop you setting up as a freelancer. You don\'t need to do anything other than get yourself set up with a phone, fax and internet connection and start working!

If you haven\'t worked in the Netherlands before, you\'ll need to go down to your local tax office and get a tax/social security ID number (known as a sofi-nummer). You can\'t pay taxes, get a VAT number (unless you operate through a limited company - exp
... See more
Presuming you\'re legal to work in the EU, there\'s nothing to stop you setting up as a freelancer. You don\'t need to do anything other than get yourself set up with a phone, fax and internet connection and start working!

If you haven\'t worked in the Netherlands before, you\'ll need to go down to your local tax office and get a tax/social security ID number (known as a sofi-nummer). You can\'t pay taxes, get a VAT number (unless you operate through a limited company - expensive to set up in NL) or get health insurance without a sofi-nummer.

If you\'re not sure about your immigration status, check out the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service at www.ind.nl.
Collapse

Nadezhda Osipova
Nadezhda Osipova
Local time: 10:12
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details on my status in NL Jan 27, 2003

To be exact I plan to study in the Netherlands for about one year. It will be legal and with work permission (not more than 10 hours a week).

What I\'m mainly interested in is how it works when someone is self-employed. How do I give info on my income and pay taxes?

Neon

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
tax returns Jan 27, 2003

In a nutshell, you need to keep accounts of income and expenditure from your freelance activities. At the end of the tax year (the same as the calendar year), you need to file a tax return with the tax authorities. This is basically a summary of your gross income, your deductible expenses, your personal tax allowances and - the bottom line - your tax liability.

Find more info on www.expatica.com.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to be freelancer in the Netherlands

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »