Valentini

Alfa Trans (X)
Alfa Trans (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:15
English to Finnish
+ ...
THANK YOU! May 20, 2006

Thank you, Valentini.

I am twice as happy because we won in Athens, Greece, as it's my second home country. Congratulations on a fine show to all my friends in Greece!

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:15
English to German
Bold and very funny performance! May 20, 2006

Hello Finland,

Although my own "twelve points" went to Romania, I want to congratulate you on winning the Contest.

Heavy metal greetings

Marion

Alfa Trans (X)
English to Finnish
+ ...
LORDI rules! May 20, 2006

Thank you, Marion. It was the first time we won, so you can imagine our feelings.

I must admit that when I first saw them I was a bit shocked. But ever since they have managed to convince everybody and even elderly women nowadays claim that there is something magic about them and their music. LORDI has really won almost everybody to their side. It is all just a show. Behind the masks they are really amiable people.

The song is melodic hard rock with an extremely catchy
... See more
Thank you, Marion. It was the first time we won, so you can imagine our feelings.

I must admit that when I first saw them I was a bit shocked. But ever since they have managed to convince everybody and even elderly women nowadays claim that there is something magic about them and their music. LORDI has really won almost everybody to their side. It is all just a show. Behind the masks they are really amiable people.

The song is melodic hard rock with an extremely catchy tune. LORDI put on the best show since ABBA in 1974, a heavily made up monster hard rock band along the lines of KISS. It was the winning combination this time!

[Edited at 2006-05-20 22:46]
Collapse

Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 11:15
Finnish to English
Kaksi mummoa May 21, 2006

Kaksi huononäköistä mummoa katseli euroviisukarsintaa kiikkutuoleissaan. Toinen hetken päästä tokaisi: "On se hyvä että se Loiri jaksaa vielä yrittää, mutta hirveen näköseks se on ittensä ryypänny."

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Poor music - music of the poor May 21, 2006

En ole katsonut sitä karsintaa. Olen niin köyhä että minun täytyy itse soittaa musiikkiani.

Matthias

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
A matter of taste May 21, 2006

Whatever Setti and Matthias say (I can't tell because Finish sounds like Melmac to me), subjectively, they are of course right, because this is all a matter of taste.

The most important thing, though, in my opinion, is that we all had a lot of fun last night. I did, and Lordi contributed to the fun. Hallelujah!

Alfa Trans (X)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Every Finn should be proud May 21, 2006

LORDI was not only the first Finnish group to win the Eurovision Song Contest, they also made another record: they got the most points in the history of the Eurovision Song Contest. Hard Rock Hallelujah got 292 points altogether.

Finland got 12 points from Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Poland, the United Kingdom, Iceland and Greece : )
Thank you everybody who voted Finland in these countries, you showed great broad-mindedness.

We got ten points from Andorra, C
... See more
LORDI was not only the first Finnish group to win the Eurovision Song Contest, they also made another record: they got the most points in the history of the Eurovision Song Contest. Hard Rock Hallelujah got 292 points altogether.

Finland got 12 points from Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Poland, the United Kingdom, Iceland and Greece : )
Thank you everybody who voted Finland in these countries, you showed great broad-mindedness.

We got ten points from Andorra, Croatia, Ireland, Lithuania, Germany and Spain : ) Your liberality is a great asset. Thank you for your support!

Slovenia, Latvia, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia and France gave Finland eight points. You are modern and receptive people, thank you!

We had lost our faith in ourselves. Nobody believed that this could ever happen and it happened in such a dramatic way!

Not to worry, Marion, Setti told a nice joke and Matthias said that he is so poor that he has to make his own music. Of course, everybody has the right to their own opinion! It does not bother us at all. We are proud of LORDI in any case.

[Edited at 2006-05-22 07:25]
Collapse

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Batman's fan club May 21, 2006

Whatever Setti and Matthias say (I can't tell because Finish sounds like Melmac to me)

Jaha... Just in order to have our guests from outside this lovely planet understand us: I only said that i didn't watch that contest, because I am so poor that I have to play all my music myself.

And after having seen some photos, I even understand what Setti meant when he wrote:
Two ugly grannies watch the Eurovision Song Contest in their rocking chairs. After a while, one of them says: "'Tis really good that that Loiri still manages to try. But how awful she looks after all that boozing!"

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
Nice one May 21, 2006

MatthiasQKirsch wrote:

And after having seen some photos, I even understand what Setti meant when he wrote:
Two ugly grannies watch the Eurovision Song Contest in their rocking chairs. After a while, one of them says: "'Tis really good that that Loiri still manages to try. But how awful she looks after all that boozing!"

He he, that's a good one, thanks Matthias!!!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just for the sake of non-finns May 21, 2006

There is a well-known Finnish actor and singer called Vesa-Matti Loiri, for a photo pleaseview: http://www.yle.fi/teema/sininenlaulu/artikkeli.php?id=324

So the lady in the joke thought Lordi = Loiri, and that the booze had had such an effect!

I voted for Lithuania's We are the winners. It was mighty funny. But I'm proud of having forcasted the success o
... See more
There is a well-known Finnish actor and singer called Vesa-Matti Loiri, for a photo pleaseview: http://www.yle.fi/teema/sininenlaulu/artikkeli.php?id=324

So the lady in the joke thought Lordi = Loiri, and that the booze had had such an effect!

I voted for Lithuania's We are the winners. It was mighty funny. But I'm proud of having forcasted the success of the Russian song, somehow the Finns managed to mess up things this time.
After all the piece doesn't sound too bad when one has heard it a few times, but please tell me do they advocate satanism or not? I don't get the message.
Booze or not, Lordi's success boosted the Finnish ego a lot. Someone has already suggested the erection of a monument in honor of Lordi!

Regards

Heinrich
Collapse

Alfa Trans (X)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Nothing to do with satanism May 21, 2006

LORDI were the centre of attention from the beginning. They were immediately targeted by different groups, mostly conservative and religious ones, accusing them of satanism. Some people really don't have a sense of humour. LORDI even have a song called "Devil is a Loser", so they cannot be satanists. When Mr Lordi was asked about this, he said: "We have nothing to do with satanism. If I had to choose between the devil and God, I would certainly choose God."

I think LORDI is closer
... See more
LORDI were the centre of attention from the beginning. They were immediately targeted by different groups, mostly conservative and religious ones, accusing them of satanism. Some people really don't have a sense of humour. LORDI even have a song called "Devil is a Loser", so they cannot be satanists. When Mr Lordi was asked about this, he said: "We have nothing to do with satanism. If I had to choose between the devil and God, I would certainly choose God."

I think LORDI is closer to being childish than satanic. Some people can be so ignorant, intolerant and narrow-minded, they would have burnt them alive like witches if possible. I heard there were three Greek associations who wanted publicity for their cause and demanded one day before the Contest that LORDI be banned from the Contest because the group is not in line with the European heritage and traditions. If these associations had been serious about it, they would have acted two months ago and not on the previous day...

After LORDI the Eurovision Song Contest will never be the same again. They have changed it for the better. Now there's some hope for the Contest. Without LORDI it would have just repeated the same old pattern forever. It needed renewal.

LORDI charmed everybody in Athens not only with their music making, but with the ease with which they communicated with journalists and people of all ages.

[Edited at 2006-05-22 07:30]
Collapse

Vicky Alyssandraki
Vicky Alyssandraki
English to Greek
+ ...
Hi-Hi! Jun 15, 2006

Setti Mulari wrote:

Kaksi huononäköistä mummoa katseli euroviisukarsintaa kiikkutuoleissaan. Toinen hetken päästä tokaisi: "On se hyvä että se Loiri jaksaa vielä yrittää, mutta hirveen näköseks se on ittensä ryypänny."

Se on hyvää!! Mäkin huomasin, että ne ovat jonkin verran..."Uuno Turhapuuro-näköisiä"!! Congratulations Ateenasta!
Vicky

Annira Silver (X)
Annira Silver (X)  Identity Verified
Finnish to English
British comment Jun 15, 2006

My ex-neighbour in Britain sent a typically British comment:

Congratulations on Finland's Eurovision success. It's nice to hear traditional country music sung by such wholesome young men.

Annira

[Edited at 2006-06-15 11:25]

Alfa Trans (X)
English to Finnish
+ ...
LORDI's press conference Jul 5, 2006

Finnish monster rockers Lordi have given their first press conference after bringing Finland an historic first Eurovision Song Contest win, 45 years after the very first Finnish participation. After failing to rise above sixth place in all that time, a first place has been a long time in coming. Altogether, Finland won 8 sets of top marks, 6 sets of 10 points and 6 sets of 8. In a strange twist, Finland scored exactly the same number of points in both the final and the semifinal, topping both ta... See more
Finnish monster rockers Lordi have given their first press conference after bringing Finland an historic first Eurovision Song Contest win, 45 years after the very first Finnish participation. After failing to rise above sixth place in all that time, a first place has been a long time in coming. Altogether, Finland won 8 sets of top marks, 6 sets of 10 points and 6 sets of 8. In a strange twist, Finland scored exactly the same number of points in both the final and the semifinal, topping both tables.
Shortly after the end of the show, Lordi entered the press hall to huge cheers (especially from the Finnish contingent amongst the press!) and the sound of the winning entry Hard Rock Hallelujah. Mr Lordi, flanked by the rest of the group on both sides, took centre stage wearing a traditional blue fur-lined hat.

"How weird is this? How cool is this?! We feel great!" started Mr Lordi. "What a weird experience! We're all the way from Lapland, Finland... Wow, it's nice. I'd like to thank all the hard rock fans, all the Kiss fans, all those who aren't narrow-minded. To think, the Eurovision Song Contest... Think about it!" He continued by singing a jubilant line borrowed from sixth-placed fellow competitors Lithuania: "We are the winners of the Eurovision!" before launching into a question and answer session.

Did you ever dream of winning the Eurovision Song Contest, or was it your worst nightmare?
It doesn't feel like a nightmare! We didn't think about entering the Eurovision Song Contest. The Finnish Eurovision board called us last year to join and we said yes! We thought about it at first then just said: Let's do it! We had an album coming out in February and we looked at it as good promotion. It's weird, it's great...

What kind of impact will this have on the Eurovision Song Contest?
It's a victory for rock music, Finland and Lordi. And for open-mindedness! A lot of Eurovision fans are in minorities, just as we are in a minority. Heavy metal bands think we are rock, rock bands think we are heavy metal. But finally, Finland has won. We hope this shows that there are different genres of music as well as pop and ballad. There's rock, hip-hop... all varieties of music can be in the Eurovision Song Contest. We hope more rock and metal groups are encouraged to join, and maybe over the next few years different kinds of styles can enter the contest.

Could you tell us what is under the masks?
What masks? I started the band 14 years ago, and 12 years ago I had the idea of monsters. These are our working outfits. It's a bit like Father Christmas - if I took off the mask it would spoil the illusion. These are the characters and we leave them on the stage. It builds the mystery: this is Lordi!

Sweden gave you twelve points. Any advice for Carola?
Thank you Sweden! The people love our rock music there, and Carola was great. She was very nice, and she understood that what we are all about is entertainment.

Anna Vissi said that Finland was her favourite. What do you think of Greece's song?
I've already spoken to the Greek media and told them it was my favourite melody. I gave them my compliments! It's not that far from Lordi's style, but maybe with different lyrics.

Are you rockers or Finns, first and foremost?
A Finn is a Finn, and the Finns are proud of us. We're representing Finland, ourselves and rock music! We're equally Finnish and rockers.

What were your expectations before the contest?
We hoped to make the top five, but the top ten would have been great. We aimed to get Finland's best result. Just making the final was great. But rock music, Finland winning... wow!

Have you had any trouble with the ladies?
Ladies run into trouble when they meet us! We spend three hours in make-up to look pretty for them!

How do you plan to capitalise on the victory? What next?
This is just a side-path for us. It sure looks good at the end of the path: victory! We're going to get back to normal now, with rock tours, and the next album. Maybe more people will buy it now. There could be lots more fans.

What can we expect next year?
(Head of delegation) We are proud to host the 2007 contest. It will be a pleasure! I want to thank the Greek hosts for the brilliant show and friendly welcome, I want to thank the hard work of the band: hot under the costumes but very warm beneath their skins! And of course I have to thank the Finnish broadcaster YLE.

What has Helsiki got to offer for next year?
Finns and Greeks have a lot in common; Finns are a deeply honest and hospitable people. Everyone is welcome in Helsinki! Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Will your win change the contest?
We only ask: no copycat acts please! We did this to prove that people can be open minded, and it doesn't matter what you look like. If you like the song, you like it, and if you don't, you don't. You have to look beyond the image.

Does your entry represent the dark or the light side?
I can only stress (for the millionth time) that we have nothing at all to do with satanism and devil worship. There are all these misconceptions... You only have to look at the lyrics of the song to see that it's not about the devil: Hard rock hallelujah. It's as serious as a horror movie, it's entertainment. No one would be stupid enough to choose good over bad; put it this way, who is cooler: Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader?

The contest is popular in Australia; would you be willing to travel that far on tour?
We'd love to visit Australia! Kiss have already done Australian tours too. It wouldn't be too far at all!

Why do you think kids love you?
We're like their action figure toys, their comic book characters. I don't feel a day over twelve! But amongst our fans we have kids, adults, older people - everyone.

You mentioned that you would have a holiday from Monday - is that still on the cards? I can't see it happening now!
How can you be sure? We'll get back home first and see what happens... The contest has been a bit of a holiday compared to touring - we usually do three hours on stage, and here it was just three minutes on stage!

Lordi then left and was promptly mobbed by photographers and press. The band is expected to be at the aftershow party in Euroclub - but will they appear unmasked, and would anyone recognise them if they did?

The winners' press conference can be seen at
www.esctoday.com/news/read/6205?PHPSESSID=19fe2764b6b1541fb8485deb01a7b2ad' rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http:// www.esctoday.com/news/read/6205?PHPSESSID=19fe2764b6b1541fb8485deb01a7b2ad
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »