urochs
urochs  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:55
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2005

I've recently set myself up in France translating as a "Travailleur Independent". My question:

Must I charge my clients VAT on translations?

Merci d'avance!

Nick Marder

p.s. welcome to answer in French; I just don't have a French keyboard on this thing--hence this is in English!

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 09:55
English to French
+ ...
You probably should Dec 22, 2005

If you don't charge VAT, you won't qualify for a refund of the VAT you pay on business expenses. Just take a look at the VAT you pay on your phone bill, you'll see my point.

Also, that VAT business is a little tricky. You HAVE to charge it if you make 100,000 F (dunno the euro figures, sorry) a year or more. Below that threshold, it's your decision. Well, I would charge it, if only to get that refund and to avoid getti
... See more
If you don't charge VAT, you won't qualify for a refund of the VAT you pay on business expenses. Just take a look at the VAT you pay on your phone bill, you'll see my point.

Also, that VAT business is a little tricky. You HAVE to charge it if you make 100,000 F (dunno the euro figures, sorry) a year or more. Below that threshold, it's your decision. Well, I would charge it, if only to get that refund and to avoid getting in trouble if I do make 100,000 when I thought I wouldn't.

My two eurocents

Sarah
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TVA en France

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »