How do you send very heavy files via the net?
Thread poster: alx
alx
alx  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
English to French
+ ...
Sep 20, 2002

Something like 212MB worth of text and images that won\'t be attached even compressed. Is Winzip the right tool or anything else?

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:23
English to French
+ ...
221MB, hénaurme ! comme aurait dit Balzac...ou est-ce San Antonio :-) Sep 21, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-09-20 20:43, alx wrote:

Something like 212MB

Salut

Autres options :

Diviser le fichier en une dizaine de morceaux et avec l\'ADSL ça ira - longuet pais faisable

Mieux :

Copier le tout sur un CD - courrier express chez le client ou collaborateur dans les 24heures - clean et plus professionnel - sans perdre des heures à télécharger un truc aussi énorme - sans être sûr qu\'après avoir passé un temps fou à télécharger, le fichier va s\'ouvir correctement

fcl
fcl
France
German to French
+ ...
FTP Sep 21, 2002

either your client gives you an FTP upload right on his site, or you install an FTP feature on your website and give your client a download right.

HTH,

Francois

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Ma réponse... Sep 21, 2002

était UltimateZip. J\'avais fait une erreur de message.

Bonne chance

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Ou alors mettre les fichiers sur un coin de site.. Sep 21, 2002

Un grand coin quand même..

C\'est généralement ce que je fais dans des cas comme ça, les boîtes aux lettres ne peuvent pas contenir des fichiers aussi gros de toute façon, sauf exception.

Ou alors comme dit François directement sur le site du client par ftp.

Surtout ne pas tout mettre dans le même fichier - il y aurait de grandes chances que ça plante à
... See more
Un grand coin quand même..

C\'est généralement ce que je fais dans des cas comme ça, les boîtes aux lettres ne peuvent pas contenir des fichiers aussi gros de toute façon, sauf exception.

Ou alors comme dit François directement sur le site du client par ftp.

Surtout ne pas tout mettre dans le même fichier - il y aurait de grandes chances que ça plante à l\'ouverture.

Sinon comme le dit Jean-Luc la gravure sur CD si c\'est possible serait encore le plus \"pro\".

Florence

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-21 11:49 ]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
e-mail attachments are 33% larger than the actual files attached! Sep 21, 2002

Mime encoding, which is needed for attaching 8-bit files to 7-bit e-mail messages, bloats the file by 33%, which is an additional argument in favour of either FTP or HTTP transmissions.

In other words, Alexandra, if you sent your files via e-mail, you\'d have to transmit (and your client would have to download) 282 MB instead of 212.

So I would definitely look for some storage space on the net, many providers have very reasonable offers.

... See more
Mime encoding, which is needed for attaching 8-bit files to 7-bit e-mail messages, bloats the file by 33%, which is an additional argument in favour of either FTP or HTTP transmissions.

In other words, Alexandra, if you sent your files via e-mail, you\'d have to transmit (and your client would have to download) 282 MB instead of 212.

So I would definitely look for some storage space on the net, many providers have very reasonable offers.

And it is always a good idea to split the whole thing into smaller chunks (5-10 MB) when zipping, to avoid having to retransmit everything if the connection is lost in the middle of the transfer.

As to zipping (packing), as far as I know, the RAR format has a better compression factor (makes files smaller) than the industry standard ZIP format. Most commercial packers can handle both.
Collapse

Claudia Esteve
Claudia Esteve  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try whalemail Sep 22, 2002

Bonjour Alexandra,

Some time ago I had a customer with whom I dealt through a site called \"whalemail\" (www.whalemail.com). You can buy as much \"size\" as you need (your problem would be solved with $23.00 dollars approximately). When I had to use it it was free and very reliable, so I\'m not sure how it would work now. You might want to weigh which one is cheaper, either sending a CD by courier or t
... See more
Bonjour Alexandra,

Some time ago I had a customer with whom I dealt through a site called \"whalemail\" (www.whalemail.com). You can buy as much \"size\" as you need (your problem would be solved with $23.00 dollars approximately). When I had to use it it was free and very reliable, so I\'m not sure how it would work now. You might want to weigh which one is cheaper, either sending a CD by courier or this.

I hope it helps,

CLaudia
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
www.Xdrive.com Sep 22, 2002

Here\'s another company offering storage space; I used to have an account with them in the golden days of the Internet when everything was free .

www.xdrive.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you send very heavy files via the net?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »