impôts?
Thread poster: emynwing (X)
emynwing (X)
emynwing (X)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 7, 2002

Voici un sujet qui peut fâcher, mais j\'avoue que ça me laisse perplexe...

J\'habite aux Etats-Unis, j\'ai un compte bancaire ici mais j\'en ai gardé un en France. J\'ai des clients aux Etats-Unis et en France. A qui je paie des impôts? Par exemple, si j\'ai un client aux Etats-Unis mais que je me fais payer en France (et vice-versa)?

Merci pour votre aide.

Lou

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Bonjour Lou Oct 7, 2002

Il me semble que tu dois choisir un domicile fiscal. Et déclarer tes revenus, mais pour cela tu dois être autorisé(e) à exercer.

En général c\'est le pays de résidence, mais j\'imagine que si tu passes autant de temps dans les deux pays tu devrais pouvoir choisir en fonction des lois fiscales de chacun. En France c\'est le Centre des Impôts qui pourra te renseigner.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
French to English
Not just taxes Oct 8, 2002

If you are invoicing clients (wherever they may be in the world) and you have not determined where your business struture is based, then it sounds like you have not yet formalised a business structure at all.

As and when you get round to doing it, prepare yourself for many more obligations than just tax : compulsory medical, social and retirement contributions are much heavier than tax contributions.

Marie-Pierre Lessard (X)
Marie-Pierre Lessard (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to French
+ ...
let's not forget sales tax Oct 8, 2002

I am Canadian translator living in Denmark, and I only know the rules of those two countries. However, the basic principals of legislation are usually the same in Western countries.

You need to establish yourself as a business owner and possibly get a registration number (like a social insurance number, but for businesses). You might also have to collect sales tax. If your clients are abroad, they will not have to pay sales tax, but you will still have to declare how much yo
... See more
I am Canadian translator living in Denmark, and I only know the rules of those two countries. However, the basic principals of legislation are usually the same in Western countries.

You need to establish yourself as a business owner and possibly get a registration number (like a social insurance number, but for businesses). You might also have to collect sales tax. If your clients are abroad, they will not have to pay sales tax, but you will still have to declare how much you have collected (even if it\'s 0$).

If you reside in the US more than 6 months/year, you probably have to pay taxes in the US only (that\'s the way it is in Canada and Denmark).

You will have to declare your revenues in one currency, even though your clients might pay you in many currencies. I don\'t think that the location of the bank accounts matter, as long as you declare you revenue. In order to know what exchange rate to apply, you should contact the proper government agency in the US. In Denmark, every month, a standard exchange rate is calculated for \"exporters\". When I registered as a business, I also registered as an exporter.

When you emigrated to the US and received your green card, you probably filled forms to change your address and your residency status in France. The French government must then have told you if you were still liable to pay taxes in France.

You really know to inform yourself by contacting the proper government agencies. Make phone calls, search your State/federal government Web sites (I have no idea how the tax system functions in the US). The longer you\'re breaking the law, the higher the penalties might be!

Marie-Pierre Lessard

English > Canadian French
Collapse

Marie-Pierre Lessard (X)
Marie-Pierre Lessard (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to French
+ ...
Bookkeeping and receipts Oct 8, 2002

Before registering my business, I learned the basics of accounting in Denmark. There are laws that regulate bookkeeping, and you should learn what are the requirements for invoices and receipts in your country of residence. In Denmark, receipts must include a number of details to be acknowledge by the tax authorities. If you really want that tax deduction, you should know what to ask for.

By law, invoices might need to include certain informations as well.

<
... See more
Before registering my business, I learned the basics of accounting in Denmark. There are laws that regulate bookkeeping, and you should learn what are the requirements for invoices and receipts in your country of residence. In Denmark, receipts must include a number of details to be acknowledge by the tax authorities. If you really want that tax deduction, you should know what to ask for.

By law, invoices might need to include certain informations as well.

Knowing the basics of accounting has allowed me to save a bundle in accounting fees. The bookkeeping requirements for a freelance translator are minimal. Our income isn\'t really high, we basically have to calculate revenues minus expenses. I learned bookkeeping by reading the law on bookkeeping and by borrowing current manuals for business students at the library.

There are pieces of software that might facilitate your tasks. Try Customer Pro-File by Land Software at http://www.landsw.com. It is not accounting software, but it might meet your needs. (Hopefully, the URL is still valid.) I think that Translation 3000 is meant for that purpose as well (http://www.translation3000.com).

I hope that you will find my input both relevant and useful. Feel free to contact me personally, but keep in mind that I am not based in the US or in France.

Marie-Pierre Lessard

English > Canadian French

http://www.proz.com/translator/4451
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Pardon Oct 8, 2002

Navrée, je viens de me rendre compte que j\'aurais dû répondre en français.

En gros vous devez créér une structure appropriée et respecter les obligations comptables, fiscales et autres qui s\'appliquent pour le statut que vous adopterez dans le pays ou vous êtes basé. Vous aurez sans doute aussi à verser des charges sociales obligatoires pour une couverture sociale (médicale, retraite, décès, etc.). Vous aurez tout intérêt à effectuer des cotisations complé
... See more
Navrée, je viens de me rendre compte que j\'aurais dû répondre en français.

En gros vous devez créér une structure appropriée et respecter les obligations comptables, fiscales et autres qui s\'appliquent pour le statut que vous adopterez dans le pays ou vous êtes basé. Vous aurez sans doute aussi à verser des charges sociales obligatoires pour une couverture sociale (médicale, retraite, décès, etc.). Vous aurez tout intérêt à effectuer des cotisations complémentaires, mais cela commence à faire beaucoup et peut venir plus tard !

Si vous exercez une activité professionnelle et présentez des factures sans avoir créé une structure, vous allez vers des ennuis. Mon conseil? Renseignez-vous auprès des autorités dans le pays où vous résidez et consultez un juriste et/ou un comptable.

Sans plus de précisions, les infos qu\'on peut vous donner ici ne seront que très vagues et pas très utiles non plus.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-08 19:33 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

impôts?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »