Recommended reference works?
Thread poster: Clive Wilshin
Clive Wilshin  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2002

Dear Colleagues,

I am primarily a Russian-English translator, but I also offer French-English. However, I am woefully under-resourced in terms of reference works for this pair.

Apart from Le Petit Robert and the wonderful on-line granddictionnaire, what are the reference works no translator of French should be without? In particular, I would appreciate the recmmendation of a good French-English scientific and technical dictionary.

Thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:33
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Termium Nov 10, 2002

I don\'t translate from French myself, but the French forum here often refers to Termium, a Canadian government sponsored online dictionary which our colleagues seem to find useful. I just checked it out and it seems quite expensive to me - US$25 per month or US$225 per annum, but you can get a free 7-day trial. If you\'re interested, try

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Robert and Collins Nov 11, 2002

In this thread

Robert & Collins had a lot of votes. I don\'t have it yet (it\'s coming on December), I only have Harrap\'s that has been criticized a lot.

Termium is very useful for technical terms, particularly when they are different from Europeans, as it\'s Canadian.

I think you can have a first idea following the KudoZ questions, and seeing when it gives the right answer (or the only answer). Then when you\'ve got your idea try it, as Jack says.

It depends on the translations you have to do.

Another one is EURODICAUTOM. Useful, doesn\'t always agree with TERMIUM.

Sorry I don\'t have the links, I just installed Windows and every thing in my computer, it\'s empty (Don\'t worry for me, I have them in a CD, not copied yet).

And I\'m sure you\'ll have more answers tomorrow

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-11 09:31 ]

Local time: 03:33
English to French

Here is the link :

it is free and very useful.

The Ernst Dictionary is the reference for technical terms in general but is expensive.

It exists in Cd version.

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
Ernst: Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik Nov 11, 2002

a well-known support not only for Germans!

David Sirett
French to English
+ ...
There isn't one... Nov 11, 2002

a \"good French-English scientific and technical dictionary\", that is. I used Ernst when I was a salaried translator, and it was pretty lousy, outdated even then (years ago). You find lots of stuff, but it seems so unreliable on what you know that you can\'t trust it on what you don\'t! (German-English and German-French versions may be better.) Routledge is more recent, but almost useless. Termium, Grand dictionnaire and Eurodicautom, despite their failings, are better for sci/eng/tech and cover other disciplines as well. Otherwise, monolingual dictionaries in each language in your fields of interest.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommended reference works?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs