Sizing print of JPEG files
Thread poster: Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Latin to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2008

My software is Windows 2000 Professional.

Sometimes I receive files in the JPEG format. When I open the file the image on the screen is fine, but when I give a print order in order to get a hardcopy to translate from, either directly or after saving the document to My Pictures, I get just the top left sixth of the image. filling the whole page as if I needed to print on a bedsheet sized piece of paper. Going (in either case) to "print" and then "options" and using the slider to red
... See more

Sometimes I receive files in the JPEG format. When I open the file the image on the screen is fine, but when I give a print order in order to get a hardcopy to translate from, either directly or after saving the document to My Pictures, I get just the top left sixth of the image. filling the whole page as if I needed to print on a bedsheet sized piece of paper. Going (in either case) to "print" and then "options" and using the slider to reduce image size, I get exactly the same image but smaller (i.e. the remainder of the document is still missing: I still get the upper left sixth, but not as big, the rest of the page being blank).

I normally deal with this problem successfully by saving the file in My Pictures, then converting it to PDF, then giving a print order with the instruction "format to page size". But I recently had a JPEG document that wouldn't convert properly for some reason, and had to ask my client to send a PDF file.

My question is NOT about converting JPEG to PDF -- which with this one exception I have had no trouble with -- but RATHER whether is there a step where I can send a JPEG file to print, either directly from the incoming attachment, or after saving it in My Pictures, and in doing order it fit to page so that I get on one page the whole screen?

[Edited at 2008-03-21 02:22]
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:04
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Get IrfanView Mar 21, 2008

Get the free IrfanView - www.irfanview.com - my favorite image viewer. Another excellent free image viewer is XnView - www.xnview.com . They both are much faster, more versatile and support more formats than the built-in graphic viewers in Windows (whichever version). And what you need is achieved with a click of the mouse in the p... See more
Get the free IrfanView - www.irfanview.com - my favorite image viewer. Another excellent free image viewer is XnView - www.xnview.com . They both are much faster, more versatile and support more formats than the built-in graphic viewers in Windows (whichever version). And what you need is achieved with a click of the mouse in the printing settings dialog.Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:04
English to German
+ ...
Import into Word Mar 21, 2008

Try importing the *.jpeg file into Word, where you can resize it easily as required for printing.

That is the method I use.

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
Free image editor Mar 21, 2008

Try with Irfanview - free and powerful application where you can, in print option, choose position and fit page according to your needs.

BR,
Nataša

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
A different approach . . . Mar 21, 2008

Personally, I use the GIMP image manipulation program for this kind of task. GIMP is a free, open-source application available for download at http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/.

It has most of the functionality of Adobe Photoshop, including the ability to size images for printing and crop images. That last feature is very helpful when you need to copy images out of documents in JPEG -- o
... See more
Personally, I use the GIMP image manipulation program for this kind of task. GIMP is a free, open-source application available for download at http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/.

It has most of the functionality of Adobe Photoshop, including the ability to size images for printing and crop images. That last feature is very helpful when you need to copy images out of documents in JPEG -- or in many other image formats -- and paste them into your translation.

Unless you're into photography or graphic arts, however, GIMP may be a more powerful and complicated tool than you need. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but if you do much digital photography, you may find it has collateral benefits. I first started using it to support my photography hobby and then discovered its usefulness in translating JPEG documents.

[Edited at 2008-03-21 16:15]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
XnView (or others) Mar 21, 2008

Thomas Ochiltree wrote:

Excellent. Win2k was the best OS ever designed. Every now and then I'm tempted to upgrade my WinXP down to trusty old Win2k (but some of my programs won't run on it).

...but when I give a print order in order to get a hardcopy to translate from, either directly or after saving the document to My Pictures, I get just the top left sixth of the image.

Yep, what the other folks had said. My preferred image viewer is XnView. It is totally illegal to use it if you're gonna use it to help you make money, but it is freeware for home and personal use. Great program.

IrfanView isn't bad either (it has a cult following, but let's not go there). Gimp is also good, but why use a flame thrower to light a candle?

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Latin to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies Mar 21, 2008

As for saving as a Word document, I am not given that option: I can save as JPEG or as bitmap. I normally save as JPEG in My Pictures, then convert to PDF, which has a nices sizing function. I guess from the answers there is no simple command that can order a JPEG file to size to the printed page (as one can order a PDF file to do). Again, thanks for the replies.

Andrew Günther
Andrew Günther
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Polish to English
+ ...
JPEG Apr 28, 2008

Try Adobe Fireworks CS3 or Adobe Photoshop CS3. ( not free )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sizing print of JPEG files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »