Mobile menu

Adobe Acrobat 5.0: how to spellcheck? How to break up long file? How to \"undo\"?
Thread poster: angibi

angibi  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2003

I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0: I can modify the text of PDF files, but only one line at a time. This is probably normal. But:

- how can I use the spelling check function?

- If a file is too long and therefore too heavy, can I create various smaller files?

- I don\'t know how it is called in English, but can I \"cancel the action I just did\", like in Word with the curved leftwards arrow?

Direct link Reply with quote
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
By the way... Apr 8, 2003

How can I copy/cut and paste a section of a pdf file into de same pdf file?

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
PDF is not an editing format Apr 9, 2003

By definition, PDF is not an editing format, it is a final output format.

Although with Acrobat you can edit text, this is limited to one line at a time with no text flow; so it\'s only ok to edit a few words here and there.

The same goes for copy/paste; you can do this within 1 line at a time, not across several lines of text.

For the same reason there is no spell checking.

You can save a PDF file as RTF (depending on the program that originated it in the first place, there will probably be carriage returns at the end of every line), then do the editing in Word.

Or, if you need to retain the format, get the original layout files from the client.

Some plug-ins allow you to improve on the rtf exporting, like Iceni Gemini (www.iceni.gemini).

To split a pdf file in several chunks, use the Extract Pages command, in the Edit menu: it will extract the number of pages you define from the current file and save them as a separate file. Remember to work on a copy of the original file for safety, and to check the \"delete from current file\" option in the Extract Pages dialog box.

To Undo, use the Undo command in the Edit menu, or Ctrl+Z.

Quite a lot has already been said about working with Acrobat in these forums: try a search to see past threads about this.

p.s. on spellchecking: the spellchecking feature available in Acrobat refers to text input in comments/notes only, not to actual page contents.

[ This Message was edited by: Roberta A. on 2003-04-14 06:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat 5.0: how to spellcheck? How to break up long file? How to \"undo\"?

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs