https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/104500-ms_word_compare_and_combine_documents.html

MS Word - compare and combine documents
Thread poster: María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 14, 2008

Hello everybody!

I use MS Word Professional Edition 2003 (11.5604.5606). I'm not sure the number in parentheses is part of the version, but there it is, just in case

My dilemma is as follows:

A few weeks ago, I localized a text from Peninsular into Chilean Spanish. Of course, I used the Change Control feature.

Today, the agency got back to me with the following message:
... See more
Hello everybody!

I use MS Word Professional Edition 2003 (11.5604.5606). I'm not sure the number in parentheses is part of the version, but there it is, just in case

My dilemma is as follows:

A few weeks ago, I localized a text from Peninsular into Chilean Spanish. Of course, I used the Change Control feature.

Today, the agency got back to me with the following message:

"I am sending you the old script with changes introduced by the end client. We need to include these changes in your version and adapt the language to Chile if necessary. Please use Change Control."

The problem is that the "old script with changes," that is, the NEW one, has exactly the same number of pages as the previous one and no changes are highlighted. I think the best way to proceed would be to accept all changes in my own version and then combine both documents. I already tried this, but the resulting file does not show me any changes.

I would highly appreciate it if someone would give me a few tips.

Thank you very, very much

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-05-14 16:30]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:39
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
maybe you dont have to do anything May 14, 2008

.... I already tried this, but the resulting file does not show me any changes.

Actually it's more like "you can't do anything". If there's no differences between X and Y, you can't change X to Y - or, it's already been done.

I would talk it over with the client - it's quite possible they mixed up different versions of the one and the same document. Hopefully they still have the original mails from the sides involved with the correct attachments.

regards

Vito

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sound advice! May 14, 2008

I already contacted my client and they will provide a new copy of the file with the changes highlighted -if any.

Thank you very much, Vito!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
English to Hungarian
+ ...
investigate further May 17, 2008

I'm not really sure about a couple of things here (Change Control? You mean track changes?), but you can certaily check if you were indeed sent the exact same text twice, or there are some differences you didn't notice.
Word itself has a "compare documents" (?-my word is not English) feature in Tools(maybe you used that, I can't tell), and there are standalone apps just for that.
Plustools can do it (maybe it uses MS Word's utility, not sure) and google will give you a long list of
... See more
I'm not really sure about a couple of things here (Change Control? You mean track changes?), but you can certaily check if you were indeed sent the exact same text twice, or there are some differences you didn't notice.
Word itself has a "compare documents" (?-my word is not English) feature in Tools(maybe you used that, I can't tell), and there are standalone apps just for that.
Plustools can do it (maybe it uses MS Word's utility, not sure) and google will give you a long list of others. I never used any but it should be straightforward. MS word may have messed up and failed to spot the changes, you can use a different app to make sure.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word - compare and combine documents

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »