Mobile menu

converting scanned documents into Word/WordPerfect
Thread poster: Dana Carciumaru
Dana Carciumaru  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:07
Romanian to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2003

Can anybody tell me if scanned documents can be imported into Word or WordPerfect so I can overwrite (work directly on the document, instead of having to type it in)?

Direct link Reply with quote

OneDocument, S.L.
Local time: 13:07
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Try using OCR Apr 25, 2003

You can use a OCR (optical character recognition) software to extract the text from a scanned image, and then edit it using word. I use ABBY fine reader 6 (, around 120$), and it really works! If you have any question on how to use it, contact me.

[ This Message was edited by: mig_2kk on 2003-04-25 20:31]

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
OCR Apr 25, 2003

A OCR System is part of Office Professional XP. It works fine.

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:07
Danish to English
+ ...
OCR and scanned documents Apr 25, 2003

Most scanner these days have a build-in OCR program that will work just fine with word processing, but if you are interested in one of the best OCR programs, the FineReader is in my opinion the best. Scansoft also have a couple of good ones. Most of them have foreign language recognition. Some can scan/read directly into Microsoft Word.

Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
English to Panjabi
+ ...
I must be a dud... Apr 26, 2003

On 2003-04-25 22:43, 1964 wrote:

As much as I know XP has no OCR component but you may integrate to your OCR program or choose a scanner (If you have one).That is an OCR program integration facility.

Or am I mistaken?

By the way You may try finereader free. For 20 days (or approx. so) full functional.

It is really very good.

if it (XP) has.

Finereader is definitely a very good software, but you can try a few free ones as well if they serve your purpose. (e.g. Simple OCR (ie if I remember correctly)

Alison Schwitzgebel
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
doc morph is a free, online ocr system offering excellent results Apr 26, 2003

however, I\'d be wary about using it for highly confidential texts.....

Check out:

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 07:07
German to English
OCR not always perfect! Apr 27, 2003

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration when attempting to use OCR software. If your hard copy isn\'t really clear (that is, if it\'s a fax of a copy of a fax), your scanning results will not be satisfactory, and you\'ll spend as much time fixing the errors as you would spend just starting from scratch.

Some times of formatting likewise don\'t always scan optimally, and you may find all sorts of text boxes, tables, etc. which will have to be manipulated to get the translated text to fit.

That said, I should state that I frequently scan documents for use with CAT tools, and most of the time it isn\'t too much of a headache.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

converting scanned documents into Word/WordPerfect

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs