Thread poster: Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:37
Polish to English
+ ...
May 21, 2008

Can anyone help me? I'm working on several large documents (editing and proofreading); the documents have extremely copious footnotes. I need to provide a keystroke count which will include:

1. the main body of the text
2. the track changes therein
3. the footnotes
4. the track changes in the footnotes.

Does anyone know of a programme which will allow me to do this? The footnotes really are too substantial to copy and paste into a separate document. I
... See more
Can anyone help me? I'm working on several large documents (editing and proofreading); the documents have extremely copious footnotes. I need to provide a keystroke count which will include:

3. the footnotes

Does anyone know of a programme which will allow me to do this? The footnotes really are too substantial to copy and paste into a separate document. I have to confess that I'm also looking for a free downloadable programme because I don't have enough of this type of work to justify a large expenditure.

Since the entire job was set up and contracted on the basis of a keystroke count, charging for it on an hourly basis isn't an option.

All help and advice most gratefully received!

Thank you in advance.
Caryl

P.S. Dear Moderators - if I've posted this to the wrong forum, please would you move it for me?

[Edited at 2008-05-21 11:49]
Collapse

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
not too sure I understood May 21, 2008

but if you make a wordcount without checking the "include footnotes" box, you will have a x count

then if you check it, a y count

then substract x from y and you should have the number of words corresponding to the footnotes

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 21, 2008

Thank you very much, Albert!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try this May 21, 2008

Caryl Swift wrote:
I need to provide a keystroke count which will include:
3. the footnotes

For some of that, try this:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/CompleteWordCount/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keystroke counts in footnotes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »