Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:36
English to German
+ ...
May 2, 2003

Hi,

I am just working on a PPT file which contains a lot of embedded objects.

Is there any possibility to copy/paste the whole file into word without having to click on each and every emb. object and slide?

TIA!

Regards,

Sonja

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
NO AFAIK May 2, 2003

I have tried to do so, but this won´t work.

I was able to copy some parts of the text to Word, but not to copy them back.

Even if I selectes all slides and press CTRL+C, only the first one was placed in Word - as an embeded graphic!

Therefore I went to work with Trados on PPT instead.

Kind regards

Jerzy

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Why? May 2, 2003

Hi Sonya,

Why on earth would you want to copy PowerPoint slides into Word? The only reason which I can imagine is maybe to get an accurate word count. I avoid this problem by always charging by the hour for PPT translations. All of my customers accept this.

And anyway I agree with Jerzy that it\'s impossible to copy everything in one go to Word.

If I\'ve missed the point please educate me

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:06
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Will the client accept your word as to the number of hours? May 2, 2003

PowerPoint is editable soft copy. So just translate directly in that format only. As for wordcount you can always copy and paste in a separate word document. The clipboard allows 24 copyings. Just go to word file and paste all. Clear the clipboard and come back to PowerPoint file and copy the next 24 entries and repeat the copy paste activity. Somewhat cumbersome but it works. Send the clint the copied word document along with the PowerPoint finished file. In that way the client is sure that he ... See more
PowerPoint is editable soft copy. So just translate directly in that format only. As for wordcount you can always copy and paste in a separate word document. The clipboard allows 24 copyings. Just go to word file and paste all. Clear the clipboard and come back to PowerPoint file and copy the next 24 entries and repeat the copy paste activity. Somewhat cumbersome but it works. Send the clint the copied word document along with the PowerPoint finished file. In that way the client is sure that he is just paying what is due and nothing more. Whereas in charging by the hour, I don\'t know. Do you use a cumulative stop watch and stop it whenever you go out for meals, running an errand for the little woman and so on?

Quote:

On 2003-05-02 12:06, RKKerns wrote:

Hi Sonya,

Why on earth would you want to copy PowerPoint slides into Word? The only reason which I can imagine is maybe to get an accurate word count. I avoid this problem by always charging by the hour for PPT translations. All of my customers accept this.

And anyway I agree with Jerzy that it\'s impossible to copy everything in one go to Word.

If I\'ve missed the point please educate me

Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
My clients have learnt to trust me May 2, 2003

.. without me having to use a stopwatch. I work for at least 10 clients on a regular basis on PowerPoint translations and none of them have ever queried the number of hours I have charged for a job. And they all accept that with PowerPoint I can\'t tell them in advance exactly how long a job is going to take.

Quote:

... Whereas in charging by the hour, I don\'t know. Do you use a cumulative stop watch and stop it wheneve... See more
.. without me having to use a stopwatch. I work for at least 10 clients on a regular basis on PowerPoint translations and none of them have ever queried the number of hours I have charged for a job. And they all accept that with PowerPoint I can\'t tell them in advance exactly how long a job is going to take.

Quote:

... Whereas in charging by the hour, I don\'t know. Do you use a cumulative stop watch and stop it whenever you go out for meals, running an errand for the little woman and so on?

Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I've learnt... May 2, 2003

.... is that there doesn\'t seem to be a way to copy a PPT file - for whatever reasons one wants to do that - into Word. At least not the easy way.

Thanks for your comments on this.

Regards,

Sonja

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:36
German to English
+ ...
Same here May 2, 2003

I find that the average is about 4 slides per hour (from German, anyway - those slides tend to be wordy) unless the formatting is particularly tricky or the slide really full of text. Once the customers know that, they can estimate how much the job will cost.

Quote:

On 2003-05-02 13:20, RKKerns wrote:

.. without me having to use a stopwatch. I work for at least 10 clients on a regular basis on PowerPoint transl... See more
I find that the average is about 4 slides per hour (from German, anyway - those slides tend to be wordy) unless the formatting is particularly tricky or the slide really full of text. Once the customers know that, they can estimate how much the job will cost.

Quote:

On 2003-05-02 13:20, RKKerns wrote:

Quote:

... Whereas in charging by the hour, I don\'t know. Do you use a cumulative stop watch and stop it whenever you go out for meals, running an errand for the little woman and so on?

Collapse

gamingman (X)
gamingman (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
From within PowerPoint... May 2, 2003

... select File - Send - Microsoft Word.

Next steps are intuitive.

Hope this is something you meant.

Quote:

On 2003-05-02 07:15, sonjav wrote:

Hi,

Is there any possibility to copy/paste the whole file into word without having to click on each and every emb. object a... See more
... select File - Send - Microsoft Word.

Next steps are intuitive.

Hope this is something you meant.

Quote:

On 2003-05-02 07:15, sonjav wrote:

Hi,

Is there any possibility to copy/paste the whole file into word without having to click on each and every emb. object and slide?

TIA!

Regards,

Sonja

Collapse

Jose Trujillo
Jose Trujillo
Peru
Local time: 05:36
English to Spanish
Torture May 2, 2003

I think charging according to time is the best alternative. I accepted a power point translation and it had a lot of objects (something I did not notice at the begining). It was really a torture and, worst of all, I told them I would charge them according to the number of words. At the end, I realized it was not fair but as I stated that way of charging I could not break the treat. Bad luck and lack of experience.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Possible with Wordfast May 2, 2003

It is possible to work with PPT files from within Ms-Word if you use Wordfast (without any expensive or complicated add-ons

Wordfast will extract the text (not embedded objects, though) and notes and after translation throw them back to PPT where they belong.

(BTW, Wordfast does the same with Excel and Access.)

So, if you pre-translate the PPT file with Wordfast and then delete everything except the source
... See more
It is possible to work with PPT files from within Ms-Word if you use Wordfast (without any expensive or complicated add-ons

Wordfast will extract the text (not embedded objects, though) and notes and after translation throw them back to PPT where they belong.

(BTW, Wordfast does the same with Excel and Access.)

So, if you pre-translate the PPT file with Wordfast and then delete everything except the source segments in the resulting document (one Find&Replace go in Word, described in the Wordfast manual), you\'ll be left with what you are looking for!
Collapse

smorales30
smorales30  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about... May 3, 2003

File > Properties > Statistics

Not sure if the words in the embedded objects are included...

Silvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying a PPT file into Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »