Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
May 15, 2003

After sending an invoice as Word rtf attachment to a German client (I\'m in the US), I was told that it consisted of hieroglyphs. I used my browser and my e-mail account on the server. According to my brother\'s advice, I used Outlook and everything seems to work fine. However, some (but, of course, not all) messages that were perfect in the browser now have the replaced characters in Outlook.

Is there any consistency with this phenomenon, or do I just have to live with the fact that it could go either way?

TIA

Heike

Direct link Reply with quote

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:49
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try to send it in .doc, not RTF May 15, 2003

It happened to me once, my customer asked to send it in .doc instead of RTF and it was fine.

Laura

[ This Message was edited by: Laura G. on 2003-05-15 18:46]

William Stein  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Varies from country to country May 15, 2003

Unfortunately, a lot still depends on the recipient\'s e-mail system, since the character codes haven\'t been standardized in all countries and all systems yet.

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
To avoid such problems... May 16, 2003

it´s better to use .pdf files for invoices (plus, they can´t be changed - well, at least easily). That way you make sure they always look the way you see them in your computer (that´s hardly the case with .doc or .rtf files).

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback May 16, 2003

Thanks to everyone!

I\'ll check out tools to create pdf files tomorrow and try to avoid rtf files in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(Mis-)Representation of special characters (umlaut) in e-mail/attachments

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs