Virus alert \"support@microsoft.com\"
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
Member (2003)
German to French
May 21, 2003

Hello,

I just received a mail from \"support@microsoft.com\" subject \"Re:Approved (Ref. 3394-65467)\", with an attached file \"screen_temp.pif\". Norton Antivirus did\'nt \"say\" anything, but I made the update for virus definitions and it then \"told\" me it is a virus.

Have a nice day!

Sylvain

Direct link Reply with quote

Matthew Coulson  Identity Verified
Albanian to English
+ ...
More info about this mass-mailing worm May 21, 2003

Thank you Sylvain. For more information, see http://www.internetwk.com/breakingNews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10000265

Matt

Marina Zinno  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
for sure! May 21, 2003

here is what my company says about it:

Users may have received unexpected e-mails from support@microsoft.com with various subjects and attachments. This e-mail belongs to an e-mail worm called W32.HLLW.Mankxmm. The W32.HLLW.Mankx@mm worm, also known as W32.Sobig.B@mm and W32/PalyhMM was accessed to medium risk by the major anti virus companies.

Henrique Magalhaes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks a lot for warning the community. May 21, 2003

2003-05-21 14:21 sylvainl wrote:

Hello,

I just received a mail from \"support@microsoft.com\" subject \"Re:Approved (Ref. 3394-65467)\", with an attached file \"screen_temp.pif\". Norton Antivirus did\'nt \"say\" anything, but I made the update for virus definitions and it then \"told\" me it is a virus.

Have a nice day!

Sylvain

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 11:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Virus May 21, 2003

I also received a similar warning as Marina did from my internet provider. So guys be aware!

Saludos,

Dinorah

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Removal May 23, 2003

If you think that your system can be infected:

F-Secure has created a special removal tool to remove the active Palyh infection and all its traces. The tool is available from

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/f-sobig.zip

I recommend the use of for instance Mailwasher/Mailwasher Pro to read mail at server level before choosing which ones to download. Mailwasher is free, and can be found here: http://www.mailwasher.net/

davidgreen
German to English
virus alert Nov 7, 2003

this is an old topic but today I received an email from "info@microsoft.com" and the subject was "jobs at proz.com". The attachment ended in mp3.scr and was a virus.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Usual MO Nov 7, 2003

Hi David,
David Green wrote:

this is an old topic but today I received an email from "info@microsoft.com" and the subject was "jobs at proz.com". The attachment ended in mp3.scr and was a virus.

Most recent e-mail worms use random combinations of sender, recipient and reference line.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus alert \"support@microsoft.com\"

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs