How to voice over VCR cassette tape using video camera or tape recorder.
Thread poster: Rob Albon

Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 22, 2003

Hello,

I need to do quick and cheap dubbing of video cassettes. Not working with grammy material here, just the facts, ma\'am type of stuff.

Is there some way to use a cassette tape recorder to record the target language material to be dubbed, then record it over the video audio at appropriate spots in the video while retaining the video picture, or perhaps use a video camera to record the target language material then record it to a the video cassette again overwriting the audio but retaining the video picture?

I\'m limited in resources here, video camera, cassette deck cassette recorder and VCR, but the client just wants the audio, isn\'t to detail oriented (its for in-house use).

Thanks!

[Edited at 2003-05-22 10:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:44
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Real cheapo approach May 22, 2003

The lowest-tech approach I can think of: use a standard cable to connect VCR player and VCR recorder but cut the audio line(s) in this cable. Connect a mike (via a pre-amp as necessary) to the audio input of the VCR recorder, using the \'open\' audio lines in the cable in order to avoid potential problems.

A somewhat more high-tech approach would involve a capture card and video editing software. Not too expensive if your client can live with not-so-good quality.

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
Use the camera as a mic May 22, 2003

Albon, you can use the camera as a mic, you can connect its audio output to the video input of the VCR. But that\'s the easy part of the problem. You\'re going to need a highly sophisticated VCR for dubbing as you have to make a recording on an audio channel without deleting the video. An SVHS could do the job but these are expensive. A capture card and a video editor software could do the job too. Again, use the camera as a mic and connect its audio output to the computer either through the sound card or capture card and than take that track and use it to replace the original sound.

HTH

2003-05-22 10:41 Albon wrote:

Hello,

I need to do quick and cheap dubbing of video cassettes. Not working with grammy material here, just the facts, ma\'am type of stuff.

Is there some way to use a cassette tape recorder to record the target language material to be dubbed, then record it over the video audio at appropriate spots in the video while retaining the video picture, or perhaps use a video camera to record the target language material then record it to a the video cassette again overwriting the audio but retaining the video picture?

I\'m limited in resources here, video camera, cassette deck cassette recorder and VCR, but the client just wants the audio, isn\'t to detail oriented (its for in-house use).

Thanks!

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is a pre-amp? May 22, 2003

Klaus,

Thank you for your response. What is a pre-amp?

2003-05-22 10:41 Albon wrote:

Hello,

I need to do quick and cheap dubbing of video cassettes. Not working with grammy material here, just the facts, ma\\\'am type of stuff.

I\\\'m limited in resources here, video camera, cassette deck cassette recorder and VCR, but the client just wants the audio, isn\\\'t to detail oriented (its for in-house use).

Thanks!

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
pre-amplifier May 22, 2003

2003-05-22 13:15 Albon wrote:

Klaus,

Thank you for your response. What is a pre-amp?

A pre-amp is a pre-amplifier, in case the mikrophone signal needs amplification or matching to the VCR input.

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
have a look May 22, 2003

You\'d need such a S-VHS for dubbing which you can find in the link. As an frequent ebayer I know that you can always find them on e-bay. Please note the audio dub button on the front pannel. Yet a capture card is cheaper and more versatile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3024313827&category=21166

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies. May 26, 2003

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was able to make a copy of the original video tape with voice over. I hooked up two vcrs to my dual audio cassette tape deck (JVC TD-W354) which has a microphone input and mixer. I purchased a microphone and used it to mix in voice while recording the audio from the video to an audio cassette tape. I then hooked up a second vcr and recorded while playing back the video from the video cassette tape and the audio from the audio cassette tape I had made of the voice over. Results were quite satisfactory.

[Edited at 2003-05-26 10:11]

EstEnter  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
time frame for a similar job Sep 12, 2004

Dear Rob,

I wonder if you still remember how much time this kind of work took you (dubbing a video tape), excluding the technical preparations.
Or anybody else? any experience?

We have 4 hours of video-taped material (group discussions) and we need to produce an "oral translation" fitting the original (also a cheap version, for in-house use).
How much time would all the pre-listening, preparation, actual interpreting take? 2,3 times more hours than the original has?

Thee is very little time to deliver the job so I have the schedule the time very carefully.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Barbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to voice over VCR cassette tape using video camera or tape recorder.

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs