Windows can't detect my network although computer indicates it is working
Thread poster: Buzzy
Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 18:54
French to English
Aug 22, 2008

Hello all,
Suddenly in the last couple of days Firefox and IE have stopped being able to connect to my internet service on my laptop although the icons at the bottom of the screen report that the network is up and running.
I've had a good look round the web forums and have reinstalled the wireless adapter and removed Windows Service Pack 3 - but still the same problem. I'm on a Toshiba A10-S811 laptop (pretty ancient I know but it was all still running OK 2 days ago), Windows XP wit
... See more
Hello all,
Suddenly in the last couple of days Firefox and IE have stopped being able to connect to my internet service on my laptop although the icons at the bottom of the screen report that the network is up and running.
I've had a good look round the web forums and have reinstalled the wireless adapter and removed Windows Service Pack 3 - but still the same problem. I'm on a Toshiba A10-S811 laptop (pretty ancient I know but it was all still running OK 2 days ago), Windows XP with a D-link adapter, Avast antivirus. Fortunately the desktop is still working fine.
Could it be something to do with Windows security updates? I don't seem to be able to uninstall them to check... I've tried deactivating the firewall and that makes no difference either.
Anyone had a similar problem or got any advice? Thanks in advance.
Buzzy
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:54
English to Japanese
+ ...
Just a hunch.. Aug 22, 2008

Hi,

If everything is working fine on your computer, I doubt the other side -- Wireless access point. Do you have an access point configured at home, or do you participate in a secure wireless network available from your ISP? (I live in the US and so I'm not familiar with France's networking environment.) In the latter case, it's not a bad idea to contact your ISP or the company which offers a wireless service to see if there are similar reports coming in from your area, or if anyt
... See more
Hi,

If everything is working fine on your computer, I doubt the other side -- Wireless access point. Do you have an access point configured at home, or do you participate in a secure wireless network available from your ISP? (I live in the US and so I'm not familiar with France's networking environment.) In the latter case, it's not a bad idea to contact your ISP or the company which offers a wireless service to see if there are similar reports coming in from your area, or if anything has been changed. If it is your own access point, then it might be that it is time to go.... (My cable modem died on me a week ago, and took me a whole day to determine which one --- modem, router, access point. adapters... -- was fried. So, I have a fresh memory. How annoying it was!)

There are a couple of things you can try. If you have a home wireless network, you can try to cold boot (hard reboot) your equipments. This is also a good opportunity to see if they are working properly.

There is another test you can try if you live in a somewhat congested area --- where there are many wireless netwoks in your range. Assuming the adapter is working properly, please have it scan the air to refresh the wireless network list.

To do this,

A) if the adapter software tool is not installed:

go to Start > Connect To > Show all connetions, and then click wireless Network Connection. That will bring up another window "Wireless Network Connection. Then click "refresh network list".

B) if the adapter software tool is installed, lauch that tool and navigate to a place where you can scan the network.

Also it is good to check if the adapter is not disabled, but I doubt it is the case.

If you cannot see your access point but the others, then something is wrong with the accesspoint. If you cannot see anything -- hmm, it could be either your adapter or accesspoint (provided that there is only one in your range). Anyway, it will give you some clues.

Good luck!
Rie
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:54
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree with Rie Aug 23, 2008

It could well have to do with your access point, high-speed modem, etc.

Usually when this happens in my home, it's because my ISP is suffering a service outage or because someone unplugged my cable modem or wireless router.

In some cases, nothing was disconnected but the networking hardware needs resetting for some reason. Unplugging the modem from the AC power (from "the mains" as they say in Europe) and then replugging them sometimes solves the problem.

[Edited
... See more
It could well have to do with your access point, high-speed modem, etc.

Usually when this happens in my home, it's because my ISP is suffering a service outage or because someone unplugged my cable modem or wireless router.

In some cases, nothing was disconnected but the networking hardware needs resetting for some reason. Unplugging the modem from the AC power (from "the mains" as they say in Europe) and then replugging them sometimes solves the problem.

[Edited at 2008-08-23 15:13]
Collapse

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Rie and Steven for taking the time to reply Aug 23, 2008

This is a busy weekend (fortunately, fun not work) so I haven't tried anything new yet. As the desktop is having no problems connecting I suspect I may have to reset something on the laptop hardware. The laptop simply can't detect any networks - not even the neighbours'. Will have another look soon. If anyone else has any pointers in the meantime, all ideas welcome!

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
The problem has now sorted itself out Aug 27, 2008

Just in case it helps anyone else with the same problem, my laptop has now decided - after a week! - to connect to the network (I had been putting off calling the provider's helpline because I'm busy trying to finish a job, using the desktop computer, for the end of the week). Firefox and IE still couldn't connect though, so I disabled the firewall, connected and then turned the firewall back on, all seems OK. Don't know why it happened but at least it's sorted! Weirdly even once I was connected... See more
Just in case it helps anyone else with the same problem, my laptop has now decided - after a week! - to connect to the network (I had been putting off calling the provider's helpline because I'm busy trying to finish a job, using the desktop computer, for the end of the week). Firefox and IE still couldn't connect though, so I disabled the firewall, connected and then turned the firewall back on, all seems OK. Don't know why it happened but at least it's sorted! Weirdly even once I was connected, Windows still said it could only detect my neighbours' wireless network...Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows can't detect my network although computer indicates it is working

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »