nke
nke
Local time: 07:11
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Aug 23, 2008

Hello!

Please see this as an SOS.

I have Windows XP Pro and Office 2003. I am trying for the first time to use microsoft pre loaded Gujarati font Shruti and Hindi font Mangal which is what my client requires. I normally use Kruti 2000 fonts which I purchased years ago and are working fine. But the Shruti and Mangal fonts only type in English.

I have ticked both the boxes in the Supplemental languge Support in the Regional and Language options in the
... See more
Hello!

Please see this as an SOS.

I have Windows XP Pro and Office 2003. I am trying for the first time to use microsoft pre loaded Gujarati font Shruti and Hindi font Mangal which is what my client requires. I normally use Kruti 2000 fonts which I purchased years ago and are working fine. But the Shruti and Mangal fonts only type in English.

I have ticked both the boxes in the Supplemental languge Support in the Regional and Language options in the control panel; I have tried turning my keyboard settings to Gujarati. Nothing seems to work.

I looked up microsoft website and read about Multilinguage User Interface (MUI) pack. Looked to download it but cannot find it on microsoft website; only the patches for it. I downloaded the patches and that does not work either, as I do not seem to have the basic pack.

As you may have gathered, I am no techie! Please can someone help. Many thanks!

Nke

[Edited at 2008-08-23 04:57]

[Edited at 2008-08-23 04:57]

[Edited at 2008-08-23 04:59]
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
English to Japanese
+ ...
This page may help you... Aug 23, 2008

Hi,

I had provided international OS support in the past, but this is one of the few (well, maybe many) languages that I have never touched... Hope native speakers of your language pairs will provide more info, but there are some places you can start at:

I read that you have trouble installing IME (Input Method). If this means you cannot find Gujarati IME in the dropdown list, this page tells you to obtain it from a websi
... See more
Hi,

I had provided international OS support in the past, but this is one of the few (well, maybe many) languages that I have never touched... Hope native speakers of your language pairs will provide more info, but there are some places you can start at:

I read that you have trouble installing IME (Input Method). If this means you cannot find Gujarati IME in the dropdown list, this page tells you to obtain it from a website.

http://www.kidsfreesouls.com/gujblogging.htm

If you read a section under Download INDIC IME1 V5. it explains how to set it up. And here is the site you can download IME from:

http://www.bhashaindia.com/Community/CommunityHome.aspx

It looks very professional and they might have more information.

If you already have installed IME, then please ignore this message.

Good luck!
Rie
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Language Bar Aug 23, 2008

Try this out:

On the task bar:
Language bar:
change language to HI

Then try typing in mangal font.

And if you don't see HI in your language bar then:

Go to Control Panel >
Regional and Language Options >
Languages tab >
Details >
Settings >
... See more
Try this out:

On the task bar:
Language bar:
change language to HI

Then try typing in mangal font.

And if you don't see HI in your language bar then:

Go to Control Panel >
Regional and Language Options >
Languages tab >
Details >
Settings >
Add>
Input language: Hindi
Keyboard Layout: Hindi Traditional

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 08:11
English to German
+ ...
try i-leap Aug 24, 2008

Hi! This comes with integrated office solutions and you will also really see what your are typing. You can export fonts to real office 2003 along with the font. BR Brandis

Vimal Panchal
Vimal Panchal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:41
Member (2008)
English to Gujarati
+ ...
I have the same setup and I'm sure following tips should help you getting rid of your issues & work Aug 25, 2008

1) You need to have Windows XP properly installed (without any kind of errors during installation)

2) You already have SUPPLEMENTAL LANGUAGES SUPPORT (ticked on) from "Languages" Tab under "Regional and Language Options".

3) On top of "Languages" Tab under "Regional and Language Options" you notice "DETAILS" tab for "TEXT SERVICES AND INPUT LANGUAGES", click this and it shows you SETTINGS. The SETTINGS is divided into three options, DEFAULT INPUT LANGUAGE, you should ha
... See more
1) You need to have Windows XP properly installed (without any kind of errors during installation)

2) You already have SUPPLEMENTAL LANGUAGES SUPPORT (ticked on) from "Languages" Tab under "Regional and Language Options".

3) On top of "Languages" Tab under "Regional and Language Options" you notice "DETAILS" tab for "TEXT SERVICES AND INPUT LANGUAGES", click this and it shows you SETTINGS. The SETTINGS is divided into three options, DEFAULT INPUT LANGUAGE, you should have it EN by default.

4) Go to 2nd portion of "INSTALLED SERVICES", here select ADD, it takes you to INPUT LANGUAGE. The list displays world of languages, choose GUJARATI, Hindi, etc. Then you can select keyboard layout as GUJARATI, US, etc.

5) After that, select PREFERENCES, go to LANGUAGE BAR. It shows "Language Bar Settings", Tick first option and okay to come out of it. On returning to "SETTINGS" of "TEXT SERVICES AND INPUT LANGUAGES", select APPLY and okay, it closes that and you come out of "Regional and Language Options".

6) On bottom right of your desktop, you should notice EN as your default language and it should display you other languages like Gujarati, Hindi etc what you installed.

7) Run WORD and open a file, select GU for Gujarati from bottom right of your desktop, select Shruti font in word and see if you could type Gujarati.

It must run. Should you experience any difficulty, let me know or chat with me or call me.

Best regards!
Vimal
Collapse

nke
nke
Local time: 07:11
English to Gujarati
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Aug 25, 2008

Thank you all for all your help and the time and trouble you have expended. I am now working away at breakneck pace to fulful my deadline and shall manage it - thanks to you all!

Where I had been going wrong earlier - I had tried the Shruti first -and I assume with Mangal it would be the same - I had ticked switch to Gujarati - United Kingdom option in the default input settings thinking I could switch between Gujarati and English as I can in my Kruti 2000 fonts, and do all the word
... See more
Thank you all for all your help and the time and trouble you have expended. I am now working away at breakneck pace to fulful my deadline and shall manage it - thanks to you all!

Where I had been going wrong earlier - I had tried the Shruti first -and I assume with Mangal it would be the same - I had ticked switch to Gujarati - United Kingdom option in the default input settings thinking I could switch between Gujarati and English as I can in my Kruti 2000 fonts, and do all the word processing tasks without having to go the language bar each time for working in each of the langugages or making any change in the keyboard settings. But apparently that does not work in these fonts. Here, I can only put in Gujarati and change the whole keyboard input to Gujarati, even going on the internet and time and date displays and all.; that is why I thought I was doing it wrong.

Is there any way Shruti and Mangal can work in tandem with English and each other and not in isolation?

Rie Matsuda: Thank you so much for your support and for putting me in the way of those two great websites - it was good to come across them for my own wider knowledge. Am going to try the blogging instrutions out one day soon!

Ritu : You have very kindly helped me with the unicode fonts on a previous occasion - and once again to the rescue - many thanks indeed!

BR Brandis: Thank you so much for your suggestion, I shall certainly look into it. Now at least the basic steps instructions have worked I am now working away to meet my deadline. But i still have the above described issue - does 'integrated office solutions' mean i -leap can solve the problem of all the languages working together? I shall certainly look into this for a long term solution as soon as this job deadline is met.

Vimal Panchal; Many thanks indeed for such detailed step by step instructions. It gave me a proper understading into how it all works and the confidence to actually try them out, which I rather lack in such techie matters.

So it has taken all of you to help me 'change one light bulb' - as the famous series of jokes go!

All your help is much appreciated.

God Bless all you kind people!

Nke
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shruti and Mangal fonts office 2003 do not work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »