TRADOS left hidden segment numbers in Word doc after cleanup - what to do?
Thread poster: Ljiljana Krstic

Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 06:59
English to Serbian
+ ...
May 29, 2003

Trados has left me hidden segment numbers in a Word document after cleanup?
Is there any way to clean up text completely, to plain text ONLY?
Ié tried to save it as ''text only with line breaks'' as a colleague advised, but segment numbers are still there!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Deleting hidden text May 29, 2003

Any hidden text can simply be deleted in Word, using the advanced search and replace function. Enter "any character" in the find box, apply the "hidden" formatting attribute to it, and leave the replace box empty.

Marc

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Brutal cleanup - HTH May 29, 2003

If the text you want to get rid of is hidden, you could try to search the hidden text and raplace it with nothing (to be performed in Word only, no Trados involved):
1. Open the Replace dialog
2. Clic the More button
3. Clic on Format and select Font
4. Select the Hidden checkbox and OK. The Find what field will state Format: Hidden
5. Make sure the Replace with field is empty (no space, no formatting, no nothing)
6. Replace a few instances one by one to doublecheck the parameters are what you need then hit Replace all.

At the end, all the hidden text should be gone from your file and you'll be able to save it in whatever format you need.
Best luck

PS If you save as text only a word file containing hidden text, sometimes the hidden text becomes not hidden - I may depend on word version and/or platform, I haven't been able to come up with a pattern yet :-/

Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS TO ALL May 30, 2003

problem solved

TTV  Identity Verified
France
German to French
Using of macros May 30, 2003

Ljiljana Krstic wrote:

Ié tried to save it as ''text only with line breaks'' as a colleague advised, but segment numbers are still there!

Did you clean with the "normal" method, that is using WORKBENCH. Sometimes it gives problems. Assuming you have done so, I give you my method:

1) save the uncleaned version of your file

2) make a "normal" clean-up with WORKBENCH of a copy of your uncleaned version, in order to definitly update your translation memory.

3) make another copy of your uncleaned version. Now you will clean-up this copy so:
a) open the file in Word
b) go to Tools - Macro - Macros - tw4winClean.Main - execute that macro
c) if you have notes in your document, you must execute that macro one more time with your cursor in the notes
d) the only thing left to do is to change back the colour of the text to automatic by using Search/Replace.
e) If you want, you can delete the "tw4winMark" style in Format/Style.

Now your text should be completly cleaned. Make a test.

If my explanations aren-t clear enough or if you still have problems, subscribe to TW_Users group (Yahoo groups). You will find a lot of very competent people ready to help you.

Good Luck - René

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS left hidden segment numbers in Word doc after cleanup - what to do?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs