Mobile menu

Leave names etc untranslated in Trados- quick guide needed
Thread poster: Anette Herbert

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 29, 2003

I have read somewhere in Trados help that there is a function where I go through the document and somehow mark the things I want to remain and not translate so I don't have to write them in again.

Now that I need it I can't find how to do it. Can anyone help please?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
English to German
+ ...
Check the Trados site May 29, 2003

...there's a Support article that deals with this issue.

HTH - Ralf

[Edited at 2003-05-29 12:21]

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
German to Croatian
+ ...
Defining a list of variables May 29, 2003

Perhaps you had variables in mind:

"Use the Substitutions tab to define certain elements such as numbers, dates and acronyms as variables rather than normal words in Translator's Workbench.
Variable elements do not change in translation. Translator's Workbench recognises designated variables and treats them as non-translatable or placeable elements during translation. Variables can either be transferred directly from the current source segment to the new target segment or localised according to the conventions of the target language. If the current source segment is the same as a source segment from translation memory apart from its variable elements, Translator's Workbench produces a 100% match.

Taken From: Translator's Workbench Help, (c) 1994-2002 TRADOS Ireland Ltd., Dublin, Ireland."

I used it for product names that appeared throughout the text. The variable list can be loaded through Setup - Substitutions - (tick) Variables - Variable List - Add File

[Edited at 2003-05-29 18:16]

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:50
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thank You! May 29, 2003

That is exactly what I was after! Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Leave names etc untranslated in Trados- quick guide needed

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs