Mobile menu

Can you export or convert text from CorelDRAW files?
Thread poster: Pilar García-Romeu

Pilar García-Romeu  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2003

Translating in CorelDRAW is very pains taking. Can you convert files to text or doc format?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
German to Polish
+ ...
Have a look at this thread Jun 16, 2003

http://www.proz.com/topic/11745

Regards
Andrzej


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
German to English
+ ...
yes you can, but... Jun 16, 2003

At least in CorelDraw 10, it is possible to export the text of a drawing using a wide variety of WP formats (ASCII text, Word, WP, etc.) I just tried it, and the result is a list of all the text items in the drawing. Just select the text you want to export (or select nothing if you want to export all of the text), click on 'Export' in the file menu, and in the selection window, select the destination folder and the type of format you want, and enter a file name.

However, unless you have to translate a large block of text (hard to imagine why anyone would use CorelDraw for large blocks of text, but you never know...), you may find the Find & Replace Text function to be quite satisfactory -- particulary in the typical situation where you have to translate legends, captions, etc, which quite often involves a lot of repetition.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Pilar García-Romeu  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much!!! Jun 16, 2003

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

http://www.proz.com/topic/11745

Regards
Andrzej


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Pilar García-Romeu  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Kenneth. It works!! Jun 16, 2003

Kenneth Cox wrote:

At least in CorelDraw 10, it is possible to export the text of a drawing using a wide variety of WP formats (ASCII text, Word, WP, etc.) I just tried it, and the result is a list of all the text items in the drawing. Just select the text you want to export (or select nothing if you want to export all of the text), click on 'Export' in the file menu, and in the selection window, select the destination folder and the type of format you want, and enter a file name.

However, unless you have to translate a large block of text (hard to imagine why anyone would use CorelDraw for large blocks of text, but you never know...), you may find the Find & Replace Text function to be quite satisfactory -- particulary in the typical situation where you have to translate legends, captions, etc, which quite often involves a lot of repetition.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SysfilterMaker
Germany
Local time: 03:37
text export and import filter for Corel Draw Jun 16, 2003

Pilar García-Romeu wrote:

Translating in CorelDRAW is very pains taking. Can you convert files to text or doc format?


--> There will be a filter that can export text from Coral Draw files and import the translated files... if you like I can send you a free trial version for testing.

wp


Direct link Reply with quote
 

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:37
English to Bulgarian
Easy enough Jun 16, 2003

In CorelDRAW, select the text you want to transfer (e.g. to MS Word).

Press Ctrl+Shift+T. The Edit Text window opens. Select the text -> press Ctrl+C (copy to clipboard) -> Alt+Tab to the (already open) MS Word session -> Ctrl+V (or whatever shortcut you use) to paste text.

Of course, you can only do that if the text has not been converted to curves in Corel. Else, it becomes a vector object (curve) which is not editable as text.

Note: if the text you want to select is grouped with other objects, you don't need to ungroup them. Just hold Ctrl and click on the text. If the status line shows 'Child group', click again to reach the next grouping level, etc. - until the status line reads "Child Artistic (or Paragraph) Text".

Hope this helps.


P.S. Indeed, CorelDRAW is definitely not a word processor; it is first and foremost a powerful graphics application, and could be pretty clumsy - even confusing - if used for word processing.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you export or convert text from CorelDRAW files?

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs