https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/11967-geriatric_mouse_and_windows_98_probs.html

Geriatric mouse and Windows 98 probs
Thread poster: sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 08:11
German to English
Jun 20, 2003

All of a sudden my mouse has started to move painfully slow across the screen and Windows 98 takes longer than usual to load in the mornings.
I know this same sort of thing has been addressed a few months back but I can't seem to find it in the forums.
Any advice to remedy the cause?
-sylvie

[Edited at 2003-06-20 11:12]

[Edited at 2003-06-20 11:13]

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
How long since you performed a defrag? Jun 20, 2003

This could be a first step to start the troubleshooting.

I'm only a very basic user of Windows but a defrag can be a miracle in case of slowness of the system.

Good luck!

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Try this Jun 20, 2003

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/tips/Win98/Mice/changing_speed_of_mouse.htm

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:11
English to Bulgarian
There can be a number of reasons Jun 20, 2003

Performing a defrag (preceded by ScanDisk) is a good idea.

There can be a number of other reasons, though. Here are some:

1) Some website that you have visited may have loaded a module that 'eats' CPU cycles and memory. Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and look through the list. If you notice anything that you have not explicitly installed, write it down as a suspect. If you're sure it does not belong to your software environment, uninstall it. However, there a
... See more
Performing a defrag (preceded by ScanDisk) is a good idea.

There can be a number of other reasons, though. Here are some:

1) Some website that you have visited may have loaded a module that 'eats' CPU cycles and memory. Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and look through the list. If you notice anything that you have not explicitly installed, write it down as a suspect. If you're sure it does not belong to your software environment, uninstall it. However, there are some modules that are loaded by your regular software, even though their names might seem unknown to you. Best of all, have someone qualified do the check for you.

You can also go to Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information - Tools - System Configuration Utility - Startup (that's Win98) and uncheck those startup items that you're sure you don't need. If it turns out later that you do need them anyway, you may check them again.

2) You may have (willingly or accidentally) changed your computer settings - like tightening the security level of your resident antivirus protection, or adding some software which includes constant monitoring of the computer's operation.

3) It is summer now. If your computer doesn't get enough cooling, it may slow down (as both the CPU and the video card constantly overheat). This is very likely the case if you have not 'dusted' the inside of your computer for a long time, or if you recently moved it so that now its ventilation openings are blocked... or if your CPU or videocard fan is dead. If you used to hear strange noises from the fans during operation, and now they have stopped, immediately inspect the fans and replace them if necessary. Failing to do so on time may cause your computer to 'fry'.

BTW in case 3) your computer would start normally, and slow down after some time.

Of course, the reason might be a hardware malfunction (memory, hard disk, motherboard) but this is relatively rare (unlike the abovementioned cases).

Hope this helps.
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, invguy Jun 21, 2003

I do a defragmentation one a week and I'm now going through your checklist of suggestions. I've just uninstalled 2 suspicious software items that may have contributed to the cause. I've noticed a marked improvement in mouse reaction speed.

Your number 3 has me freaked. I'm going to take off the back end and check the fan right now.

If anybody has any other good tips such as these please contribute!

-sylvie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Geriatric mouse and Windows 98 probs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »