CatsCradle 2.5: Can an expert tell me exactly how to save a web site?
Thread poster: Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 21, 2003

Can any expert tell me exactly how to save a web site using CatsCradle 2.5?

I have read all the tutorial. It is very user-friendly, but it seems that I'm doing something wrong at the very beginning saving a page.

Here is what the tutorial says:

Getting Started : Preparation and opening a web page.

CatsCradle is designed both for translating a whole ‘web site in a folder’, and also individual web pages. Before you start, make a copy of your
... See more

I have read all the tutorial. It is very user-friendly, but it seems that I'm doing something wrong at the very beginning saving a page.

CatsCradle is designed both for translating a whole ‘web site in a folder’, and also individual web pages. Before you start, make a copy of your original web site folder or web pages to be translated. Although CatsCradle keeps a backup of each source page translated, you should always work on a copy of the source files and not the originals.

Thanks very much

Elias sauza
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:04
English to Swedish
+ ...
WebReaper Jun 21, 2003

If the site you wish to translate is on the Internet, reap it with WebReaper, http://www.webreaper.net/

If the site you wish to translate is on on your hard disk, just copy and paste in Windows Explorer.

Best of luck!

Sven.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
English to French
Experting, experting ;) Jun 21, 2003

Elías Sauza wrote:

CatsCradle is designed both for translating a whole ‘web site in a folder’, and also individual web pages. Before you start, make a copy of your original web site folder or web pages to be translated. Although CatsCradle keeps a backup of each source page translated, you should always work on a copy of the source files and not the originals.

Thanks very much

Elias sauza

If I understand you right, you already have the HTML files right? Now, all you need to do is to copy them into an other folder before you start working, so that if you have a problem, you can always start again with the originals.

Alternatively, you can also save them in the same folder with different names.

To make it real simple, create a new folder in your working directory, (the place where your files are. In Windows Explorer, "file/new/folder" to make a new folder)which you can call "originals", "Save",...

Then select the files and copy then into your new folder.

Done

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:04
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I've lost money copying a site from the Internet Jun 21, 2003

If you need to translate the contents of a site for a customer, don't copy it yourself. Programmes like the one mentioned before and e.g. HT Mirror Maker turn dynamic pages into static HTML and 'make up' pages during their job. Ask you customer for a folder containing all files he wants to be translated.

If you want to translate your own site, just download all files with a programme like CuteFTP and leave the folder structure like it is.

Regards,
Gerard

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
here's a great tool Jun 21, 2003

www.sparkleware.com/superbot/

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
English to French
Web site catchers/extractor Jun 22, 2003

David Greatrix wrote:

www.sparkleware.com/superbot/[/quote]

superbot looks good, but I would advise against it for translation purposes.

"Thanks to SuperBot's HTML rewriting technology, the copied websites look and feel just like the online versions."

A translator should keep the code intact, with only the changes needed for translation purposes.

Further, as Gerard mentionned, Dynamic pages are not extracted in full, if at all. The only real way is to get the source files. Too much risk otherwise, that you will miss materials.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:04
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 23, 2003

Thanks very much to all for your valuable information. Thanks Sylver. I believe catscradle is a good choice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CatsCradle 2.5: Can an expert tell me exactly how to save a web site?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »