How to view Chinese character in Unicode in Dreamweaver ?
Thread poster: chance (X)
chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 25, 2003

Pls. advise me how to view Chinese character in Unicode in Dreamweaver 4.

My Dreamweaver is in French version, Windows XP is in French too. When I use Dreamweaver, it’s creation mode view shows only a black point at the place of a Chinese character.

Any other software can do it ?

Thank you.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
English to French
Dreaweaver Jun 26, 2003

chance wrote:

Pls. advise me how to view Chinese character in Unicode in Dreamweaver 4.

My Dreamweaver is in French version, Windows XP is in French too. When I use Dreamweaver, it’s creation mode view shows only a black point at the place of a Chinese character.

Any other software can do it ?

Thank you.

should do it. Mine is installed in English, and so is the help file. Search for "chinois" in your help file. If not there, here are the relevant portion of the english help file:

"Selecting Page Properties options:
Document Encoding specifies the encoding used for characters in the document. For English and Western European languages, choose Western. Additional options include Central European, Cyrillic, Greek, Icelandic, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean. If an option for the encoding you want is not available, choose Other to create a document with the encoding your operating system is using. All Asian languages use double-byte encoding.

To change the fonts that Dreamweaver uses to display each encoding, choose Edit &mt; Preferences or Dreamweaver &mt; Preferences (Mac OS X) and select New Document. Note that the fonts you select in the New Document preferences do not affect how visitors see your pages; visitors specify their own fonts (for a given encoding) in their web browsers."

Other relevant information:

"Setting Fonts preferences:
Choose Edit &mt; Preferences and click Fonts in the Category list.
Select an encoding type (such as Western (Latin1) or Japanese) from the Font Settings list, then choose fonts to use within Dreamweaver for that encoding, using the font pop-up menus below the Font Settings list. ...
Note: To appear in the font pop-up menus, a font must be installed on your computer. For example, to see Japanese text you must have a Japanese font installed."

But, in all cases, your system MUST have at least one chinese font to display chinese. You can get that on the net. Try www.101fonts.com/ for instance

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dreamweaver MX works well Jun 27, 2003

Bonjour Silver,

Thank you very much for your help.

I tried Dreamweaver MX and it works well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to view Chinese character in Unicode in Dreamweaver ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »