https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/12188-problems_with_overwriting_text_in_graphics.html

Problems with overwriting text in graphics
Thread poster: GAK (X)
GAK (X)
GAK (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
English to German
+ ...
Jun 28, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I have a word document with some graphics to translate. But every time I want to overwrite the text in the graphics the programme shows: object is damaged or doesn't exist.

Can someone tell me what to do?

Greetings
Anett Kiefer

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
German to Croatian
+ ...
Try text boxes Jun 28, 2003

I sometimes use text boxes without borders which I place over the text in a graphic. This works well as long as there is not too much text or the text boxes do not crowd the image.

Mikhail Kriviniouk
Mikhail Kriviniouk  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:54
Russian to English
+ ...
I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro Jun 28, 2003

To produce quality output I replace images used in Word docs or in Powerpoint (god save us from it) ppts. Images I edit with the above prog, which is distributed with modems etc. generally easily available. Less functional than Photoshop, but generally enough for most things, loads much faster and costs nothing. Cut the text in the image, then add my translation to it using the text input tool of ... See more
To produce quality output I replace images used in Word docs or in Powerpoint (god save us from it) ppts. Images I edit with the above prog, which is distributed with modems etc. generally easily available. Less functional than Photoshop, but generally enough for most things, loads much faster and costs nothing. Cut the text in the image, then add my translation to it using the text input tool of the program... http://www.jasc.comCollapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
nothing? Jun 29, 2003

Mikhail Kriviniouk wrote:

To produce quality output I replace images used in Word docs or in Powerpoint (god save us from it) ppts. Images I edit with the above prog, which is distributed with modems etc. generally easily available. Less functional than Photoshop, but generally enough for most things, loads much faster and costs nothing. Cut the text in the image, then add my translation to it using the text input tool of the program... http://www.jasc.com[/quote]
Sure PaintShop Pro is not freeware. For professional puposes you have to buy the licence.
But Photoshop LE or Elements comes free with many scanners etc. and it is legal to use it. PSP costs about 160 Euro, as far as I know.
I the program does not support some grapfic format one can always capture the area from the Word-document and save it in an easier format, translate the text and exchange it to the original image. But this I would do only if paid by the hour.

Mikhail Kriviniouk
Mikhail Kriviniouk  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Jasc PSP price Jun 29, 2003

I went to Jasc site, it's $99, so not free, sure. But trial copy is available, if desperately need to finish a job you need to submit the day before yesterday. My copy came free with modem drivers CD... Has the same function of capruting anything that is displayed on the screen of you computer. Again, I'm not promoting any software house, far from it. The advice above is what I rely on, just using a different package. Conclusion i... See more
I went to Jasc site, it's $99, so not free, sure. But trial copy is available, if desperately need to finish a job you need to submit the day before yesterday. My copy came free with modem drivers CD... Has the same function of capruting anything that is displayed on the screen of you computer. Again, I'm not promoting any software house, far from it. The advice above is what I rely on, just using a different package. Conclusion is clear, if you want you output to be good for sure, use image editing software, and of course put an extra charge for having to fiddle about. Good luck to all!

[Edited at 2003-07-01 12:14]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with overwriting text in graphics

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »