I can't ask questions! (9/7) - I can now! (10/7) :-)
Thread poster: Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:28
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2003

I don't know what is going on - yesterday I couldn't get the proz mail to work and today I can't ask questions! I can (and have) answered questions, but can't ask them:-( It appears to be only me that is having this problem as lots of questions are being asked. What can I do?

Please help someone!

Many thanks in advance:-)

Sheila

[Edited at 2003-07-10 07:07]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please be more specific Jul 9, 2003

Hi Sheila,
Can you please be more specific? What exactly happens if you try to ask? Are you using KudoZ.net or the web interface (if the latter, are you using the old or new design)? Which browser/operating system are you using?

Also, I would suggest to post this under "ProZ.com Tech Support".

Good luck, Ralf

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My problems! Jul 9, 2003

Hi Ralf,

Well, I am using IE 5 and Netscape 4.7 and get error messages with both. When I try to send a support request my computer freezes up completely - hence I resorted to this method. I have tried using both the old and the new designs and the web interface. Neither design works (in this respect). I am able to answer questions etc. (with the new design - albeit forced to give short replies in the answer box - otherwise I also get an error message).

The message on
... See more
Hi Ralf,

Well, I am using IE 5 and Netscape 4.7 and get error messages with both. When I try to send a support request my computer freezes up completely - hence I resorted to this method. I have tried using both the old and the new designs and the web interface. Neither design works (in this respect). I am able to answer questions etc. (with the new design - albeit forced to give short replies in the answer box - otherwise I also get an error message).

The message on Internet Explorer (in Spanish) is:
Error al intentar cargar Acceso a la dirección URL: http://www.proz.com/index.php.......

And in Netscape 4.7 it says the socket is not connected!(

What is wrong with my computer??? I have no problems with any other site (or program) as far as I know. I'm using a PowerBook Mac G4 with OS 9.1.4 in case that's of any use.

Many thanks in advance!

Sheila

P.S. I had to shorten this answer because otherwise I couldn't send it - same error message as before on IE 5!

[Edited at 2003-07-09 16:16]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
Local time: 18:29
English to German
+ ...
How do you connect to the Internet? Jul 9, 2003

This is a wild guess, but I'm beginning to sense a 'déjà vu'...

A few months ago, the carrier I use to access the Internet (I use a leased line) reduced the packet size, i.e. the number of bytes contained in each IP packet. I had to reset the packet size setting on my proxy server in order to send or upload anything that was longer than a KudoZ answer, for example. Could this be related?

Best regards, Ralf

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could be, Ralf Jul 9, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

This is a wild guess, but I'm beginning to sense a 'déjà vu'...

A few months ago, the carrier I use to access the Internet (I use a leased line) reduced the packet size, i.e. the number of bytes contained in each IP packet. I had to reset the packet size setting on my proxy server in order to send or upload anything that was longer than a KudoZ answer, for example. Could this be related?

Best regards, Ralf

It may well be but I don't know - I am using an ADSL connection and the other day (using the same connection) I had no problems asking a question. How do I go about finding and changing the proxy server packet size? Excuse my ignorance, but I've never done this before:-)

Thanks for all your help,

Sheila

[Edited at 2003-07-09 16:27]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Very unlikely with ADSL Jul 9, 2003

I assume your machine is linked directly to the DSL modem/splitter, right? In that case, the problem I described would not be relevant.

Anyway, it's probably worthwhile contacting your ISP, describing the problem (in essence, it looks like you cannot upload anything beyond a very limited amount of data).

Best, Ralf

PS Send me your email address privately - I'd like to test if you can upload something to our web server.

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sheila Jul 9, 2003

the same thing happened to me yesterday. The difference is that it did go away quickly after disconnecting and restarting the machine. Are you using MacOsX.2 with Internet 5.0 and Word 98 via Classic? If so, welcome to hiccup country. Wouldn't know the reason, but rebooting does usually get rid of problems. Classic but not totally perfect.
HIH
P

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OS 9.1.4 Jul 9, 2003

Paul Roigé wrote:

the same thing happened to me yesterday. The difference is that it did go away quickly after disconnecting and restarting the machine. Are you using MacOsX.2 with Internet 5.0 and Word 98 via Classic? If so, welcome to hiccup country. Wouldn't know the reason, but rebooting does usually get rid of problems. Classic but not totally perfect.
HIH
P

Hi Paul,

No, I am still back in the Stone Age with OS 9.1.4, worst luck - my computer is a mere 2 years old but already feeling its age!

Did you mean you had problems asking a question yesterday too? If so, that makes me feel better - I am not the only one:-) The only thing is - so far rebooting doesn't seem to have helped. Once I finish the urgent translation I am working on, I'll try to experiment a bit more.

Sheila

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe it was a temporary bug? Jul 10, 2003

I have just managed to ask a question! (using the old design) - so maybe it was a wee bug affecting Mac users? Who knows, in any case I hope it continues to work in the future.

Thanks Ralf and Paul for your help:-)

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't ask questions! (9/7) - I can now! (10/7) :-)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »