Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:21
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2009

I searched the archive for this, but with 1,954 hits, I thought I'd take the easy way out and ask.

I am not accustomed to working with powerpoint files, but now I have to. My CAT tool does not support them. What's the best way to proceed? Work right in the "Outline" section, overwriting the source text with the target text? Or copy the text into a ordinary text file and run it through my CAT (so as to make use of glossaries and TMs which may be relevant), and then copy and paste the
... See more
I searched the archive for this, but with 1,954 hits, I thought I'd take the easy way out and ask.

I am not accustomed to working with powerpoint files, but now I have to. My CAT tool does not support them. What's the best way to proceed? Work right in the "Outline" section, overwriting the source text with the target text? Or copy the text into a ordinary text file and run it through my CAT (so as to make use of glossaries and TMs which may be relevant), and then copy and paste the target text into the powerpoint "Outline" section? Or something else? This is only 1500 words, so it should not take me forever, I hope.

Thanks,
Susan
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:21
German to English
+ ...
"How best to translate powerpoint files?" Mar 9, 2009

I always do them in OmegaT. Convert to OO Impress, then remove the inevitable inappropriate line breaks.

I tidy up the formatting (e.g. reinserting line breaks) after conversion back to PPT.

OmegaT also presents the notes to you for translation.

Marc

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Wordfast + Werecat Mar 9, 2009

I use Werecat, a free tool in the form of a template for MS Word that extracts the text from PowerPoint to Word. I then translate it with Wordfast and once completed I use Werecat again to send the translation back to PowerPoint.

It's very easy and I have never had any problem; however, the segments must be translated "as is", i.e. you cannot shrink or expand the segments, otherwise you might have problems to send the translation back to PowerPoint. It is always a good idea to check
... See more
I use Werecat, a free tool in the form of a template for MS Word that extracts the text from PowerPoint to Word. I then translate it with Wordfast and once completed I use Werecat again to send the translation back to PowerPoint.

It's very easy and I have never had any problem; however, the segments must be translated "as is", i.e. you cannot shrink or expand the segments, otherwise you might have problems to send the translation back to PowerPoint. It is always a good idea to check the formatting of your translated PowerPoint file since there might be slight corrections to be done in case of heavy formatting, i.e. different font size or color within a segment that might have been omitted.

And another thing: if your PowerPoint contains embedded objects, either tables or graphs, you will have to edit and translate them directly in your PowerPoint file.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No need to do it manually Mar 9, 2009

Kristina Mijic wrote:

And another thing: if your PowerPoint contains embedded objects, either tables or graphs, you will have to edit and translate them directly in your PowerPoint file.

if you use OmegaT When converting PPT files to ODP and back with OpenOffice.org, make sure to tick everything in Tools → Options → Load/Save → Microsoft Office.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, OmegaT! Mar 9, 2009

Marc P wrote:

I always do them in OmegaT.
Marc

Oh! Aren't you the guy who recently wrote on the OmegaT list, something to the effect of "Why would anyone ever want to translate PowerPoint in a CAT tool?" I didn't really know what you meant, but I always take my gurus' word for it.

Thanks to you and the others who replied,
Susan

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Oh, OmegaT! Mar 9, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

Oh! Aren't you the guy who recently wrote on the OmegaT list, something to the effect of "Why would anyone ever want to translate PowerPoint in a CAT tool?"

Not me. PDF, perhaps?

Marc

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast DOES support Powerpoint Mar 9, 2009

1. Open the Powerpoint file.
2. Open an empty (new) Word document.
3. Select the next (first) segment (alt-down or the toolbar button).
4. Wordfast will automatically fetch and replace the segments as you go.

The same thing also works for Excel.

T.

Torben AXELSEN
Torben AXELSEN  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:21
Member (2007)
Finnish to Danish
+ ...
Try alternatively MetaTexis Mar 9, 2009

It can be downloaded for free and will take care of the job:
http://www.metatexis.com/

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Werecat + other CAT tool Mar 9, 2009

Kristina Mijic wrote:

The Wordfast/Werecat combination works well for me too.

I suppose that you could use Werecat to extract the text and translate with another CAT tool, not necessarily Wordfast? I have never tried, but since it's just a Word file - it should work with any tool, assuming that the tool can be set to ignore the placeholders and leave them intact.

Also - I saw a (short) demo for MemoQ on a Powerpoint file, it seems like another good choice.

Ljiljana Krstic
Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
translate as client wishes Mar 9, 2009

[ Work right in the "Outline" section, overwriting the source text with the target text?

My main criterion is always a client's wish: if the client demands the translation in the original format, then the easiest way is to translate in Power Point, overwriting the source text, as you suggested.
The easiest and simplest method, more so because it's such a small project
You will neither have the problem with word-count, as I can see you already know the number of words.

Mikael Adolfsson
Mikael Adolfsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Why not use Trados TagEditor? Mar 10, 2009

In my experience TagEditor is very simple to use when translating Power Point files. It opens the lines line by line, and after you have translated the file it´s just to clean it up, and the translated file is done! Normally everything is in place, and you can send it to your customer.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:51
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
TagEditor Mar 10, 2009

I always translate Powerpoint files in TagEditor.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OmegaT Mar 10, 2009

Marc P wrote:
I always do them in OmegaT. Convert to OO Impress, then remove the inevitable inappropriate line breaks. I tidy up the formatting (e.g. reinserting line breaks) after conversion back to PPT.

I also use OmegaT (among others). Convert the PPT file to ODP format using OpenOffice.org. When doing ODP files in OmT, I select paragraph segmentation because it's easier to see where you're at. Also keep the ODP file open to see if what you see in ODP is what you see in OmT (I say this because PowerPoint files sometimes contain hidden stuff that is seen by OmT but not by the user).

It is anyway a good idea to keep the ODP file (the one in the /source/ folder) open all the time, so that you can easily make changes to the source text, save it, and then reload OmT to reflect the changes in OmT itself. This is useful when one or two slides use weird breaks that may work better if fixed before translation.

OmT can also translate PowerPoint 2007 files directly (without converting to ODP), although your mileage may vary based on how cleanly the client formatted the file in the first place. Keep in mind that although OpenOffice.org can open PPTX files, it can't save it, so if you want the ability to make changes to the source file during the translation process, you'd have to go the ODP route if you don't have Office 2007.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More than one way to skin a CAT Mar 11, 2009

Thanks to all who answered. When it turned out that my familiar OmegaT did the job just fine after all, I went with that. I didn't want to have to learn a new CAT tool in the midst of a sizable job (especially since mine worked). I was operating under a misconception, without having tried it on OmegaT.

Harklas
Harklas
OOo messes up my .ppt Feb 24, 2010

My .ppt all looked like %&/& after saving them in OOo, and I can't edit them as I don't have MS Office and don't want to buy it.

The alternative versions above all include Wordfast/Trados or sth.

I tried to have the .ppt converted to a .pptx before feeding it to OmegaT, but I can't make that work.

Last chance is now the Novell OpenXML package, to see if it can make a .pptx for me. Failing that. I'll just clean the mess using someone else's MS Office.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How best to translate powerpoint files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »