Can't open PDF files in mail attachments
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 30, 2003

I have been getting some PDF files lately attched to e-mails from an agency - they are grey and I can't open them or save them.
I have Acrobat Reader but I don't seem to be able to open them though there either.

ANy ideas anyone?

TIA

Anette

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:28
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Dear Anette Jul 30, 2003

Could you provide some more details on your problem? What extension has the attached file, ".pdf" or is it just "winmail.dat" or something else?

In any case, if you have problems and cannot open the file(s), my first advice would be asking your customer to resend the files.

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
You may need a newer version of Acrobat Reader Jul 30, 2003

I had a similar problem a few years ago because I was still working with an old (prehistoric) version of Acrobat Reader which wasn't compatible with PDF files produced by the latest version of the program.
I recommend that you download the latest version of Acrobat Reader (I'm currently using version 5.1).

You can download the la
... See more
I had a similar problem a few years ago because I was still working with an old (prehistoric) version of Acrobat Reader which wasn't compatible with PDF files produced by the latest version of the program.
I recommend that you download the latest version of Acrobat Reader (I'm currently using version 5.1).

You can download the latest version for free at:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Good luck !!

[Edited at 2003-07-30 11:14]
Collapse

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
level of security Jul 30, 2003

I had the same problem -
that there was a pdf-attachment, but in grey and not to open.
It depends on the security-level of your InterneExplorer.
I don't remember where, but you can change this level (in your case it's too high).

HTH

didi

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Change security settings Jul 30, 2003

I had this problem with other types of documents too. If you are using Outlook Express, go to 'options', there you will see 'security' and see if the line saying something like 'don't allow to keep or open attached files that may contain a virus' is checked. If so click on it to uncheck.

Then you may need to ask to be sent the documents again.

This problem could be caused by your/your agency's firewall too...

HTH

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
It's a security issue... Jul 30, 2003

The attachment is made unavailable either from your own software configuration or by an antivirus program you are running. You can change these settings easily, or if you don't want to do that a fast way to get the attachment is to click on the "forward" button and you'll be able to open it.

Good luck,
Rossana

[Edited at 2006-01-18 10:13]

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody! Jul 30, 2003

and thanks Rossana. I knew there was a way because I happened on this by chance but I had forgotten how!
I am not skilled in firewalls and security settings, and I want them high since my problems with pop-ups etc and other invasions. This trick works fine for me!

Rossana Triaca wrote:

They attachment is made unavailable either from your own software configuration or by an antivirus program you are running. You can change this settings easily, or if you don´t want to do that a fast way to get the attachment is to click the "forward" button and you´ll be able to open it.

Good luck,
Rossana

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
German to English
+ ...
related problem Jul 31, 2003

I have a similar problem. I can no longer open the file straight from my email inbox, though if I download it to my computer I can open it then. Any suggestions? It's not really a problem, just slightly annoying when a client has sent me a job to look at.

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 13:28
English to Bulgarian
IOutlook Express 6.0 Security settings Aug 1, 2003

I recently downloaded IE/OE 6.0, and there is this really useful option. The point is, some viruses activate themselves as soon as the e-mail they are linked to appears in the preview pane - you don't even need to start an executable file.

To prevent this, there is an option that bars all attached files from being executed or saved to your disk, unless you explicitly allow it.

In OE 6, go to Tools - Options - Security - Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened tha
... See more
I recently downloaded IE/OE 6.0, and there is this really useful option. The point is, some viruses activate themselves as soon as the e-mail they are linked to appears in the preview pane - you don't even need to start an executable file.

To prevent this, there is an option that bars all attached files from being executed or saved to your disk, unless you explicitly allow it.

In OE 6, go to Tools - Options - Security - Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus.

If that option is checked, the attached files appear greyed out - you can see the name and size but can't open them. You can only see the text content of the message in the preview pane.

If you want to open the file, uncheck the option... and don't forget to check it back again afterwards

I don't think it was there in the previous OE versions... AFAIR they introduced it with 6.0.

HTH
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open PDF files in mail attachments

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »