Thread poster: Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2003

Hi...

I am trying to work in Acrobat Professional but when I open text boxes and start writing I get an error message that reads: "Font not available in the system, you may not modify the text".

I have tried installing ATM Light even when it supposedly does not improve performance in Windows 2000 and XP. Indeed, it did nothing.

Is there a font package that may be added to Acrobat or Windows and would solve the problem?

Any tips will be apppreci
... See more
Hi...

I am trying to work in Acrobat Professional but when I open text boxes and start writing I get an error message that reads: "Font not available in the system, you may not modify the text".

I have tried installing ATM Light even when it supposedly does not improve performance in Windows 2000 and XP. Indeed, it did nothing.

Is there a font package that may be added to Acrobat or Windows and would solve the problem?

Any tips will be apppreciated.

Best regards,

Andrés
Collapse

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:18
English to Romanian
+ ...
More details? Aug 2, 2003

I'm using Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional and I was not able to reproduce your problem. Means that I was able to use the TouchUp Tech tool without problems.

More info is needed, for instance:

1/What version of Adobe Acrobat are you using?
2/What font type is on the original pdf document?
3/Is this font type installed on your system? Is it embedded?
4/What editing tool have you used when you got that error message?

Anyway, don't think ATM wo
... See more
I'm using Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional and I was not able to reproduce your problem. Means that I was able to use the TouchUp Tech tool without problems.

More info is needed, for instance:

Anyway, don't think ATM would help you on this particular problem...

Regards from Bucharest,
Doru
Collapse

Andres Pacheco
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further details Aug 2, 2003

Doru Voin wrote:

Thanks Doru.

I am using the same version, and the tool I am using is TouchUp too.

The fonts in the file I am working with are mostly different kinds of OfficinaSans.

Have not seen the font in my system, but I am not very well aquainted with verifying that nor with importing fonts (I figure if I have the sets I should be able to paste them in the appropriate folder, though). The font types are indeed embedded, though I am not quite sure what that means.

Best regards from Buenos Aires,

Andrés

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:18
English to Romanian
+ ...
Fonts Aug 2, 2003

Andrés Pacheco wrote:

but I am not very well aquainted with verifying that nor with importing fonts

To see if one specific font is instaled on your computer (you said you're using Win2000, if I remember correctly):

Select Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Fonts. A list including all the fonts currently included on your system is displayed.

To install a new font:
You should copy the .ttf files on your C:\WinNT\System\Fonts folder.

Now we come to your real problem: getting the font. Please check if the font you mention is already installed. If not, ask the client to provide it for you. Alternatively, you may search the Internet and might find the font, but it takes longer...

I can only suppose this (missing font on your system) is the cause for your problems.

HTH

Doru

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:18
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
fonts not available if embedded as a subset Aug 3, 2003

There are 2 ways in which fonts can be embedded in a PDF file: fully embedded, or as a subset.

If they are embedded as a subset, it means that only a part of the whole font is available in the PDF file, so that the text can be correctly printed and displayed (with no font substitution) even on systems where that font is not installed.

But unfortunately a font embedded as a subset does not allow the text to be edited with touchup tool (message about missing font).
... See more
There are 2 ways in which fonts can be embedded in a PDF file: fully embedded, or as a subset.

If they are embedded as a subset, it means that only a part of the whole font is available in the PDF file, so that the text can be correctly printed and displayed (with no font substitution) even on systems where that font is not installed.

But unfortunately a font embedded as a subset does not allow the text to be edited with touchup tool (message about missing font).

Also, some fonts have some restrictions so that even if they are fully embedded in the PDF file they do not allow any text editing unless they are also installed in the system (most fonts are sw, and not freeware, so they need to be purchased as well).

You can check in File > Document Properties > Fonts to see what fonts are used in the document and if they are embedded as subset.

Then you can ask the client if he can resend the PDF file with fonts fully embedded, or supply you with the fonts needed (some corporate fonts may have some slight modifications and therefore differ from the commercial font with the same name; also the same font might be available in different formats - Type1, TrueType, OpenType - and you must be sure you get the correct type for your document)
HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

Andres Pacheco
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 8, 2003

Thank you, Doru and Roberta, for your help.

I learned a lot about fonts, and almost solved it. But upon the deadline, the client said they wanted a .doc file. Thus I just had to paste in Word and pass the text through Trados.

Painful job, but I did enjoy learning.

Best regards,

Andrés

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fonts in Acrobat Professional

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »