Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it possible to integrate Google Translate with CAT software?
Thread poster: Paul Klassen
Paul Klassen
Canada
Local time: 16:16
French to English
Mar 30, 2009

Can anyone tell me how/whether it is possible to integrate google
translate with CAT software like Trados?

Thanks,

Paul

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-30 21:00 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:16
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish Mar 30, 2009

Swordfish is what you're looking for:
"Swordfish has a powerful plugin architecture that lets users process individual segments or complete XLIFF documents with external applications. The included GTranslate plugin, for example, obtains translations for segments or full documents from Google's Machine Translation engine."

http://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html
(at the very bottom)

However, there is a limit of words you can MT with Google. I think it's about 6k words, but I'm not sure in what period of time (day/week/month?).

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Mar 31, 2009

Hi Paul,
Wordfast allows you to query Google's MT, Word's MT, or Babelfish MT. However, this raises confidentiality issues.

Best,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer

Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Slight understatement :-) Mar 31, 2009

John Di Rico wrote:

Wordfast allows you to query Google's MT, Word's MT, or Babelfish MT. However, this raises confidentiality issues.

John's right. Using Google Translate (or any other public on-line MT engine) on professional translation jobs doesn't just raise confidentiality issues; it directly contravenes the confidentiality/non-disclosure clauses and/or agreements that a significant number of agencies require free-lancers to sign and adhere to.

It also contravenes the codes of conduct of many, if not all, professional translation associations.

Moreover, even if you haven't signed such a clause or agreement and don't belong to a professional association (or belong to one that doesn't explicitly prohibit unauthorised disclosure in its code of conduct), most clients will not look kindly on people who pass on their information to third parties without their express authorisation.

Andrew

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:16
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Metatexis Mar 31, 2009

Metatexis also allows you to integrate Google MT with thr translation memory. However, it does have limitations, Google Translate allows you to use this feature for a while, but after repeted queries coming from Metatexis, you get a block for an hour from Google Translate It's probably best for your MT results and for the workflow to use a local MT if available for your language.
HTH

Paul Klassen
Canada
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Google Translate & confidentiality Mar 31, 2009

Thank you all for your responses. Frankly, I have been using Google Translate interactively since I discovered it recently, and have found that it generates passable first drafts for certain types of documents (and not for others). I'm not sure how much time it saves me, since I do a lot of rewriting.

In a nutshell, all of your suggestions seem to involve an investment, and I'm not prepared to spend money on this right now. I currently use Trados 8 (which does provide for MT integration, somehow) and also have Across...though I haven't really started to use it yet.

I was, however, surprised at the attention many of you paid to confidentiality. I don't work for agencies, and rarely do my clients send me material that is identified as confidential. I'm not sure why I should treat material as confidential when it isn't confidential...notwithstanding the rather strict rules my professional corporation imposes.

Also, is it not the case that anything submitted to Google translate is only held in volatile memory for the duration of the translation transaction...what possible interest could Google have in archiving its own, unedited, translations (the editing takes place on my computer, off the 'net)? Clearly, anyone with sufficient skill and determination would be able to capture that text somehow, or presumably hack onto my computer and thwart my firewall, etc., but why? ...especially when the information will, more often then not, be available to the public in the near future?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Common sense and reason is the key Mar 31, 2009

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Paul,

Best,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer

See my post here: http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/130310-[mt]_is_most_often_used_alongside_[tm]_as_an_adjunct_to_human_translation_are_you_using_it-page3.html#1082609

Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Simple test Mar 31, 2009

Paul Klassen wrote:

I was, however, surprised at the attention many of you paid to confidentiality. I don't work for agencies, and rarely do my clients send me material that is identified as confidential. I'm not sure why I should treat material as confidential when it isn't confidential...notwithstanding the rather strict rules my professional corporation imposes.

i) Ask your clients if they'll grant you authorisation to upload their entire source texts into Google's database.

ii) Ask the relevant person at the OTTIAQ if this practice contravenes the Order's code of ethics.

If representatives from either group advise/warn you to stop using Google Translate on translations for anything other than personal use, then you should.

Andrew

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes for responsibility/no for chastisement Mar 31, 2009

Andrew Steel MCIL, MITI wrote:
i) Ask your clients if they'll grant you authorisation to upload their entire source texts into Google's database.

No one in their right mind should ever do that.

I use Google Translate with moderation, because I am aware of these concerns.

As I mentioned in the post referenced above, I wrote my own plugin for Swordfish which allows me to:

* send only one segment to GT at a time (no indiscriminate batch processing and I decide what and whether or not to GT)

* I can edit the text to be GTed in order to obfuscate it, should any data mining on any specific party be done through GT (I don't think there is any proof of that), so as to protect confidentiality

* there are text where the concern about confidentiality is lower, for example, recently I translated several advertising leaflets from Polish into English, the subject matter was power tools, and English texts about the same tools can already be found in abundance online (by the way, I did not use any CAT/GT for this job, because the originals were uneditable).

* there are texts which by law must be in the public domain, for example, public consultations about construction of a nuclear power plant. Such consultations involve several countries, hence the documents must be translated into several languages and posted online, here actually GT can help, because (I believe) it has been fed the whole acquis communataire, and perhaps other large corpora of parallel texts of administrative/legal nature.

I believe machine translation/GT can be put to good use, provided that it is used responsibly. I would disagree both with indiscriminate adoption/use, and with blanket rejection of MT/GT.

Regards,

Piotr Bienkowski

Paul Klassen
Canada
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 1, 2009

I'd like to thank you all for your input, especially Piotr for the thoughtful and reasonable perspective on using online MT. I may, in future, obtain Swordfish and try to do something like that.

I'm still curious about what happens to text submitted to GT.

Thanks again,

Paul

Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Odd... Mar 7, 2010

I think this is just a matter of neo-luddite craziness where one might be overly concerned about doing anything on the internet for fear someone else might see it.

As I understand it, when you integrate A.T. dll engines with Trados, it only queries the server and returns a translation. It does NOT store the source text on the servers unless you select the checkbox to update the TM upon updating and confirming the text that was returned, in order to move on to the next segment.

The mumbo jumbo about confidentiality is only at play when you are uploading your TMs and text to the translate.google.com's translator toolkit with open sharing AND TM-updates activated, in which case it would necessarily need to store that information on its servers. But, then you wouldn't be using an offline CAT Tool... you'd rather be working online via Google, with google's servers acting as your hard drive.

[Edited at 2010-03-07 17:18 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agreed about concerns being exaggerated Mar 7, 2010

If you're just using the google MT, you are not giving google anything they have a particular interest in keeping. It's just random monolingual text from their perspective. I wonder if their terms&conditions state that they don't save query texts... I'd guess they don't, but they surely state that google won't publish them or hand them over to third parties. The chances of any intelligible segments of text leaking out are absolutely minute.

Basically, if the company sent you the material via unencrypted email, which is fairly easy to steal (from your inbox or en route), then you feeding it into an online MT service is not going to be a significant added risk in any way. Unless they specified that the material is super secret, I don't see a problem with using Google MT on it.

BTW I myself don't ever use MT as just thinking about editing MT output makes me lose the will to live.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:16
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
OmegaT Mar 7, 2010

also integrates GT, in beta versions 2.1.1 [I think] and up. Latest version is 2.1.3.

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Even in stable version Mar 8, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote:

also integrates GT, in beta versions 2.1.1 [I think] and up. Latest version is 2.1.3.

Actually, it's been there since 2.0.4, so it's included in the stable 2.0.5.

Didier

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
For free? Perhaps... Mar 8, 2010

Paul Klassen wrote:
Can anyone tell me how/whether it is possible to integrate google
translate with CAT software like Trados?

It's amazing how many respondents here read your question only up to the word "software".

If you don't want to spend a dime, what you can do is to perform an extraction (not sure if Trados can do this) of your source text and then have Google translate it. Then use an aligner (you'll probably have WinAlign) to align the texts, and add it to your TM. Then add a penalty to the user ID of the aligned segments. Alternatively, add "Google" to the start of each translation before doing the alignment, so that you can see when a match is from the MT.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to integrate Google Translate with CAT software?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs