Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Does anybody know if it is possible to track one's ProZ profile page with Google Analytics?
Thread poster: Lutz Molderings

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2009

Hi

Does anybody know if it is possible to track one's ProZ profile page with Google Analytics?

I know ProZ offers a tracking feature, but it would be nice to be able to use Google's more advanced analysis tools.

I have already added the code to my profile, but so far Google has not tracked it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it works Apr 3, 2009

Well, I suppose I should have been a bit more patient.
Google has tracked my profile page in the meantime.

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
"...Google Analytic java script removed from the site, it will no longer appear on any pages." Apr 3, 2009

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:

I know ProZ offers a tracking feature

Hi Lutz,

how do you know?
Which tracking feature do you mean?
Google Analytics is not used any more.
Did you follow this thread?
http://www.proz.com/forum/german/124351-was_tut_google_analytics_ohne_mein_wissen_einverständnis-page4.html#1037185

Google Analytic code removed Jan 13

First please excuse the English post in the German language forum. Second, thank you all for your comments, feedback and concerns. We have elected to remove the Google Analytic java script from the site and it will no longer appear on any pages. If, in the future ProZ.com elects to utilize any analytic programs, regardless of the provider, we will inform the community using the requisite and prominent means as well as provide users with an option to opt-in or opt-out.

Again thank you for your comments and feedback.

Regards,

Drew MacFadyen

"...it will no longer appear on any pages...". I wonder how you can add Google Analytics code to your profile which is a ProZ page.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mean my private Google Analytics account Apr 3, 2009

Hi italengger

1. How do you know?
Well, I just checked my Google Analytics account and Google has identified my page and is now tracking it. There is no report as yet, but I guess this will take a few hours.

2. Which tracking feature do you mean?
There should be a tab called Visitors in your profile. If you click on it, you can see who has visited your page (viewer type, original IP Address, came from etc.)

3. Google Analytics is not used any more.
Right, but you can use your own Google Analytics account. I wasn't sure whether this would work, but it does. All you need to do is add the code just before the < / body > tag in your "About me" profile page and Google will sooner or later find and track your profile page.
I admit, since the profile page consists of only one page, there is not much to analyse, I just think it's quite interesting to know who visits my page, where these people come from, how long they spend looking at it, whether they come back again in the future etc.

4. Did you follow this thread?
No, I didn't. I think that thread is about ProZ removing Google Analytics from its website.
It seems some people did not like the idea of ProZ analysing its traffic, so ProZ finally decided to remove Google Analytics from its entire website.
I don't quite understand this, as for a website with more than 1.3 million unique visitors every month, these tools could really pay off. In my opinion, if you are concerned about your privacy and do not want to be included in statistical analyses, simply don't visit the website.

[Edited at 2009-04-03 08:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-03 08:25 GMT]

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
What about Terms of Service / privacy policy for Google Analytics? Apr 3, 2009

I think this is going to be an interesting issue. Lutz, I'm definitely missing the privacy statement on your profile as per Google Analytics' Terms of Service:

http://www.google.com/analytics/en-GB/tos.html
8. PRIVACY

8.1 .... You will have in place in a prominent position on your Website (and will comply with) an appropriate privacy policy. You will also use reasonable endeavours to bring to the attention of website users a statement which in all material respects is as follows:

“This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies”, which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyze how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States . Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. You may refuse the use of cookies by selecting the appropriate settings on your browser, however please note that if you do this you may not be able to use the full functionality of this website. By using this website, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above.”

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will add to my page Apr 3, 2009

Michele Johnson wrote:
Lutz, I'm definitely missing the privacy statement on your profile as per Google Analytics' Terms of Service:

Thanks Michele, I wasn't aware of this. I will add the privacy statement to my profile page.

But what about the built-in tracking feature that allows me to track my visitors for 30 days?
If I went to a bit of trouble, I could use this data in the same way Google uses it.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this thread

[Edited at 2009-04-03 08:34 GMT]

Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:06
English to Portuguese
Did it work? Apr 3, 2009

Lutz, did it really work? I came here to post that most likely ProZ wouldn't allow any custom javascript embedded into their pages. I can imagine there must be many security issues with this (not with the Google code specifically).

If this is working, I'll add this to my profile right away also.

About the Google Analytics Terms of Service: there are tens of thousands (millions maybe?) of webpages running google analytics nowadays. Virtually every single company website uses it. On a daily basis, everyone of us runs across multiple pages that probably have google analytics installed. Have you ever seen this huge statement displayed in at least one of them? I sure haven't.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, seems to be working Apr 3, 2009

Andreas Nieckele wrote:

Lutz, did it really work?

Well, I'm still waiting for Google to create the first report, but yes, Google has identified my profile page and seems to be tracking it.

And I agree: I can't say I have come across many websites that mention Google's privacy statement. I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
definitely working Apr 3, 2009

Just to confirm it is definitely working. I now have my first report.

[Edited at 2009-04-03 23:27 GMT]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
ProZ.com is the legal website owner and fully responsible for everything that happens on the site Apr 5, 2009

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.

Hi Lutz,

please read the thread (it takes some time, I know, but it is worth it, and it cannot be explained in a minute). The links are also important.

I do not think that users or members are entitled to include Google Analytics (GA) code in their profile on a the ProZ.com website. ProZ is the website owner, not the user/member! If users/members want to use GA on their own website they are free to do so (respecting the terms of privacy etc.).

If ProZ.com allows their users/members to use Google Analytics, it is against what Drew Faydon said two months ago, i.e. "We have elected to remove the Google Analytic java script from the site and it will no longer appear on any pages.

I expect Drew or Henry to comment on this.

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visitors tab Apr 5, 2009

So I guess you also want the "Visitors" tab removed from all ProZ profile pages?
What is the difference between checking who visits my profile page with Google Analytics and doing the same with the ProZ feature?
It's simply slightly more convenient with Google, that's all.

Question:
If I lure passersbys into my house by putting up a sign in front of my house which says "Free tea and cake" and then secretly keep track of the date and time when people knock at my door, yes, maybe even their names and colour of their pants, would you report me to the council if I had failed to add a Privacy Policy disclaimer to my sign?

I really don't see what harm is being done by my using a different tool to check my visitors than the tool already included in my ProZ profile, other than that my doing does correspond to Drew's exact wording.

I think we have to differentiate between ProZ analysing its entire traffic (1.3 million unique users) and me occasionally having a closer look at my 500 odd visitors per month, which, by the way, I have been doing since I became a member of the ProZ community.

[Edited at 2009-04-05 10:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-05 14:00 GMT]

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Please read this... Apr 6, 2009

Hi Lutz,

This should answer your questions:
http://www.datenschutzzentrum.de/tracking/20090123_GA_stellungnahme.pdf

@ ProZians who don't wish to be tracked in this way:

Check out Firefox plus "Customize Google" and "NoScript".

Germany
English to German
+ ...
My apologies, Drew! Apr 6, 2009

italengger wrote:

Drew Faydon

Correct spelling: Drew MacFadyen !

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Still waiting for an answer! May 4, 2009

NO answer so far. What a pity!

4 weeks ago Drew answered my email:
"Thank you - I will address this internally with staff and respond to the thread shortly."

@Jared/Drew:
Does not responding to the thread mean that Google Analytics is allowed?

Edited for typo...

[Edited at 2009-05-05 06:11 GMT]

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
@Lutz: Still no privacy policy on your profile or website? Aug 4, 2009

Hey Lutz, still waiting for the publication of a privacy policy on your profile and your website, which are currently both running Google Analytics. T&C's are T&C's, and just because everyone else is ignoring them, doesn't make it right for you. I find it particularly brazen considering your new role as a site moderator.

Lutz Molderings wrote:

Michele Johnson wrote:
Lutz, I'm definitely missing the privacy statement on your profile as per Google Analytics' Terms of Service:

Thanks Michele, I wasn't aware of this. I will add the privacy statement to my profile page.

But what about the built-in tracking feature that allows me to track my visitors for 30 days?
If I went to a bit of trouble, I could use this data in the same way Google uses it.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this thread

[Edited at 2009-04-03 08:34 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs