DVD regions
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2003

How can I watch European DVDs in the US? I have a regular US DVD player (region 1) and would like to watch DVDs from Germany (region 2?) or Latvia (region 5?). Do I need a multi-region player? Can I watch them on my laptop's DVD drive, or are those region-specific also?

Thanks for any info you might have!

Direct link Reply with quote

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:26
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Multi-region Aug 20, 2003

Hi Daina,

Yes, you do need a multi-region DVD player to watch European films.

At home we have a multi-region one, and we can watch various films from all over the world. Please note that they are now introducing DVDs that are specially protected so they cannot be played on multi-region players (why they've done this I don't know) but so far I've only ever come across one film that had this special protection.

As for your laptop/PC, my partner has set his laptop to play European DVDs, and I have set mine to play Region 1 DVDs. Since we usually have our laptops with us when we're away, we've got both types of film covered.

To do this, go to your Control Panel and then choose Sounds and Multimedia. Then choose the Hardware tab and select your DVD player. Choose Properties and on the Advanced Settings tab you can choose which DVD region your DVD player should use.

Note that you can only change this setting max. 4 times (with Windows 2000 at least), after which time your DVD player will only ever play the last region you set.

HTH,

Joanne

Tobi
Local time: 20:26
English to German
+ ...
software solution for your problem Aug 20, 2003

hi daina,

you can use the software dvd region-free (http://www.dvdidle.com/) or dvd genie (http://www.inmatrix.com) to change the region code of your software dvd player without the 5 times restriction.

moreover, you can check whether your dvd player can be made code-free with a simple code to be entered via the remote control. you should find info about this in the internet.

as far as i know, this is not illegal.

i hope it works!

best regards,

tobi

Ruben Berrozpe  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Two DVD players Aug 20, 2003

Considering what Joanne says about multiregion players, I think the wisest option right now is to own two players - one of them bought at the US, another one at the EU. Multiregion players were very common during the first days of DVD but control has gone tighter since then and right now they're harder to find. Also this extra protection could discourage you even further. As for cost, now I find players in Spain for less than 100 euro, so this should not definitely be the problem.

Computers are another bad option. Most computer can switch zones 5 times before zone goes fixed. I had a patch once that extended that into 15 times, but have never seen an indefinite option. Maybe others will help, I'm not really a pirate in this.

Well, bottom line: yes, zones are stupid. They were conceived for progressive film releases (first in the US, then in Europe/Japan, etc), but the fact is they only create problems to people who just want to buy films on the internet and can't find the film they're looking for in their particular zone.
I think you can get most of the film production in the world between zones 1 & 2. So two players for less than 200 euro should be fine with you.

Rb

[Edited at 2003-08-20 08:51]

Elena Bellucci
Partial member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
pc software for DVdD Aug 20, 2003

As far as I know the 5 time switch problem on pc can be eliminated buying a software that bypasses zone limits. DVD readers have no problem changing zone, but common DVd driver softwares you find on computers usually sets this limit. I have power dvd and it seems to be able to change zone as many time as I need.

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I have heard.... Aug 20, 2003

(and this is only heard mind you) that if you buy a dirt cheap DVD player and you know a "man who can", then you can have the regional settings thingy turned off.....

Don't ask me any more than that

Alison

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:26
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Try an Ebay search Aug 20, 2003

There are a number of Multiregion DVD players at Ebay. However, a friend of mine bought one and he said the image quality was somehow poor --but not bad, and a few weeks later, the DVD player just stopped working. It could've been just him. But be careful when buying one.

Claudia

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice Aug 20, 2003

I think we'll keep the region 1 player set to region 1 and use the laptop for region 2. If we are able to get DVDs from Latvia, I'll look into getting some software so that I can switch one of them back and forth.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:26
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
This is the site for getting help ! Aug 20, 2003

The site I mention is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks. It is just a pity you didn´t inform in this forum about the brand name and the model of your DVD, so I could tell you if it is possible to enter a determinated key sequence from your remote control and so modify the zone assignment. You will have to find it for yourself.

These codes are generally provided by the DVD manufacturer itself and are not illegal to use.

I don't recommend to have somebody messing up with the DVD innards. It can void the warranty

Mucha suerte!

xxxT_Herrmann  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Its all about the software and some keys on your remote Aug 21, 2003

Generally, all DVD Players around the world are capable to read DVDs from all regions.

There are no different ways of encoding, they are not written differently, or wathever myths the industrie pleases to spread.

Every DVD Player has hidden menus, usually invoked by hacking cryptic keysequences into your remote like "open tray - play - play - stop - stop - menu". This will usually enhance the onscreen menu by several functions, of wich one should be "select region". 0 stands for read all.
If you scour support forums, video enthusiasts sites etc. I am sure you'll find the proper "remote code sequence" to activate these menus.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVD regions

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs