Thread poster: ellitrad
ellitrad
ellitrad
France
Local time: 01:46
German to French
+ ...
Aug 20, 2003

I got this virus today through a mail with email adress [email protected] subject Re:your application (with attachment); opening the mail (not the attachment)my mail program got crazy, sending automatically messages to my whole adress book, blocking everything. How to eradicate: stop the Internet connection. The virus generates a exe.file C:\windows\winppr32.exe which you have to delete; if deleting (through Windows Explorer) is not possible, first... See more
I got this virus today through a mail with email adress [email protected] subject Re:your application (with attachment); opening the mail (not the attachment)my mail program got crazy, sending automatically messages to my whole adress book, blocking everything. How to eradicate: stop the Internet connection. The virus generates a exe.file C:\windows\winppr32.exe which you have to delete; if deleting (through Windows Explorer) is not possible, first desactive this exe.program with Task Manager, then delete. Be aware of messages with subjects as "Re:details" "Re:your application" "Re:wicked screeensaver" "Re:thank you!"Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:46
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Look this other thread Aug 20, 2003

There seems to be a solution

http://www.proz.com/topic/13464

ellitrad
ellitrad
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Aug 20, 2003

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

There seems to be a solution

http://www.proz.com/topic/13464[/quote]

Apparently we did NOT open the attachment and it spred anyway, only by opening the email. The solution I used to delete it worked perfectly, and checking the emails on the server before downloading them seems to be a good way not to be contaminated (possible with wanadoo.fr in France)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sender's address is spoofed Aug 20, 2003

What's important to note here is that the sender's address shown is not genuine - recent email worms usually combine sender's adress, recipient's address and reference line at random.

IOW the chances of that message having been sent by Marta are extremely remote - what is certain is that the infected system sending the message had Marta's address stored.

Best regards, Ralf

ellitrad
ellitrad
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
infected address book Aug 21, 2003

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

IOW the chances of that message having been sent by Marta are extremely remote - what is certain is that the infected system sending the message had Marta\'s address stored.

I clearly didn\'t mean Marta was the sender, and I share your point of view, I just posted this topic because I thought that other ProZ members were at risk of being infected too, and apparently this worm is quite new in France.
Regards
Marie Ellie

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just to avoid misunderstandings... Aug 21, 2003

Hi Marie,
I clearly didn't mean Marta was the sender, and I share your point of view, I just posted this topic because I thought that other ProZ members were at risk of being infected too, and apparently this worm is quite new in France.

I know you didn't want to implicate Marta - it's just that we had loads of misunderstandings when the Bugbear worm (IIRC the first worm to spoof addresses) started spreading.

Sobig as such isn't that new, but the Sobig.F variant is - and it seems to be very aggressive, judging by the number of reported attacks or contaminations. Thanks for posting the warning.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

virus alert : Worm W32.Sobig.F

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »