McAfee appears not to send large emails
Thread poster: Joanne Parker

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
German to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2003

Hello,

I've just received a very embarrassing email from a client. I tried to send them a completed translation that was 1 MB in size.
Each time I tried to send the mail, the mail would remain in my Outbox and McAfee kept saying that I had sent the same mail several times already and was I sure I wanted to send it? Since the mail hadn't left my Outbox, I said yes - repeatedly.

My client has now mailed me to confirm receipt of my translation - more than 10 times!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Joanne

PS. All my McAfee updates are current, and I've checked my PC and it doesn't have any viruses, apparently.

[Edited at 2003-09-08 11:31]

[Edited at 2003-09-08 11:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 06:03
English to Urdu
+ ...
I am having the same problem Sep 8, 2003

Joanne Parker wrote:

Hello,

I've just received a very embarrassing email from a client. I tried to send them a completed translation that was 1 MB in size.
Each time I tried to send the mail, the mail would remain in my Outbox and McAfee kept saying that I had sent the same mail several times already and was I sure I wanted to send it? Since the mail hadn't left my Outbox, I said yes - repeatedly.

My client has now mailed me to confirm receipt of my translation - more than 10 times!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Joanne

PS. All my McAfee updates are current, and I've checked my PC and it doesn't have any viruses, apparently.

[Edited at 2003-09-08 11:31]

[Edited at 2003-09-08 11:33]

I was having this problem in outlook express. However I dont think its to do with Mcafee, or maybe it is. I switched to incredimail, and in that I am unable to send emails with big attachments as .rar when I make them as .zip then they do go but take a long time. But still I think its to do with outlook at not mcafee about the files as being shown not sent but still they r sent. I try to delete them from outbox but they keep adding in delete folder but are also shown in outbox. I hope someone can come up with a better answer for it.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:03
Flemish to English
+ ...
Volume too big Sep 8, 2003

A problem which can by solved by splitting your filesn the Tools menu, click Accounts.
On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.
or download file splitter or WsFtp Pro (google them).

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Try another software Sep 8, 2003

Hi Joanne,

This was one of the reason why I switched from McAfee to Norton Anti Virus a while ago. Norton has not only a better updating function (automatic live update whenever you're online), I haven't had any problems at all with sending huge files (12-15 MB) with Norton running in the background. Of course, if the recipient has problems with receiving these amounts, I could always recommend Winsplit or similar programs. Originally, this program was developed years ago, when "huge" files (above 1,4 MB) had to be parted in order to fit in on a floppy disk, but still I use it now and then when zipping doesn't reduce the size enough.

Kind regards,
Erik

Peter Bagney  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too Sep 8, 2003

I had the same problem yesterday. In order to avoid the McAffee problem, you can deactivate the so-called Worm Stopper (open Virus Scan, then Options, then Advanced). Nevertheless, even with this deactivated, messages over about 300k supposedly refused to go out and stayed in the Out tray. In fact, since I fractioned the files endlessly until they fit, I sent the job some 25 times (so you can feel better now, with your 10!). In the end it turned out that the entire file also went out, even though I was getting an error message. Therefore: it seems to be an Outlook problem, not a McAffee problem. But why suddenly now? I don't know yet.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

McAfee appears not to send large emails

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs