India
Local time: 07:30
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Sep 12, 2003

Dear colleagues,
For last few days while opening Internet (dial up) I get the following message

“ svchost has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program.... An error log is being created”

After this message the Internet becomes very slow and almost in all the case I was forced to restart the computer and internet only to again receive such message. I trised to fix with antivirus programs for msblast and, sobig but the problem still persists. Would anyone suggest any other virus which is doing this and where the antidote could be downloaded.
Thank you in advance. I am unable to work with my computer for last few days.
Sanjay

Direct link Reply with quote

truptee  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Take a look at this link, It's possibly a virus Sep 12, 2003

Hey Sanjay!

SecurityFocus HOME Discussion
... SVCHOST.EXE "crash" by Anonymous Aug 13 2003 12:02PM I start getting this message,
never saw it before after cpl years of w2k on one of my machines... ...
www.securityfocus.com/news/6689/comment/21372 - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6689/comment/21372

Do you think?

truptee  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
and more.. Sep 12, 2003

I found this too on a site... it's an exchange between a trouled and a computer wizard..
the 'troubled' one said..

thanks for the information.... i got rid with svchost.exe error.. i just followed what you said.. install the service pack 3 and run the fix blast utility and patch.. now my computer is running smoothly

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:00
English to Polish
+ ...
It's a Blaster virus Sep 12, 2003

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/blastera.html

Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Blaster virus Sep 12, 2003

It is Blaster worm/virus. My computer was infected with that last month. You need to take four steps as specified on Microsoft Website.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
English to Assamese
+ ...
IT IS THE BLASTER WORM Sep 13, 2003

Don't worry. I had it too. Just do the following. Get the patch and the service pack from Microsoft. Everything will work fine. Believe me.

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 04:00
English to Hungarian
+ ...
svchost.exe running in several copies? Sep 20, 2004

No errors generated in my case, just my computer became very slow, from time to time 100% of the CPU is used. Neither Norton Antivirus, nor anti-spyware software find anything (other than a couple of tracking cookies, here and there), but I can see in the Task Manager 5 copies of svchost.exe running (I checked: no scvhost / svchosts, i.e. not a virus) and one of them is qualified as "network service provider" (in wrong Hungarian by the way). Parallel to that, there is a huge increase in the number of the reg. keys and RegCleaner regularly skips about a hundred of these. Perhaps, still, some virus? But I have the latest updates!

What I am doing now is that after the start of the computer, I open the Task Manager and terminate the suspicious process (the one with the wrong Hungarian), which apparently is the only one running (or using memory), but there are 4 others indicated - and on my computer there are 2 such files - shall I perhaps eliminate one of them? And which one?

I searched the web and found a couple of sites mentioning similar problems, but it turned out to be either a virus, or the user played games regularly on the web or something like that. In my case none of those reasons is (shall be) true, so I'd need some advice: did you ever experience similar problems?

TIA, Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

svchost has generated errors

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs