https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/151682-how_can_i_change_key_on_keyboard_to_type_another_letter.html

How can I change key on keyboard to type another letter
Thread poster: Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Rossa Ó Muireartaigh  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:46
Member (2004)
Japanese to English
Nov 24, 2009

HELP

I spilt water on my keyboard and now some of the keys don't work, most importantly the 't' key.
How can I change my keyboard so that another key will give me the letter 't'.

thanks,

Rossa

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:46
German to English
Plenty of free software out there Nov 24, 2009

The process is called keyboard mapping. Google it and you'll find plenty of free options.

But really, have you looked at the prices for keyboards at your electronics shop lately? I managed to spill the better part of a cup o' Joe into my last keyboard. You can get a basic replacement for about 10 euros, and a Microsoft branded keyboard cost about double that. (I went for the better keyboard because I actually use the built in volume control and calculator keys). Ignore the high end
... See more
The process is called keyboard mapping. Google it and you'll find plenty of free options.

But really, have you looked at the prices for keyboards at your electronics shop lately? I managed to spill the better part of a cup o' Joe into my last keyboard. You can get a basic replacement for about 10 euros, and a Microsoft branded keyboard cost about double that. (I went for the better keyboard because I actually use the built in volume control and calculator keys). Ignore the high end stuff unless you need heightened ergonomics or are a gamer.

My point: this is your primary interface with the computer. Not the place to be thrifty, unless you're far from civilization and really are forced to make do with what's on hand.

HTH!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You did not specify your operating system, Nov 24, 2009

so do it to have a reasonable answer.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OS and type, please Nov 24, 2009

Rossa O'Muireartaigh wrote:
How can I change my keyboard so that another key will give me the letter 't'.

1. What operating system do you use?
2. Is it a laptop keyboard, a multimedia keyboard, an entry-level keyboard...?

Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Japan
Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
It is a laptop (alas) and it's Windows Vista Nov 24, 2009

Unfortunately it is a laptop so I cannot get a replacement keyboard so quickly.
I am using Windows Vista.
Actually I just found a software called KeyTweak that let me put 't' to the right of 'p'. I now have to unlearn my many years of typing.

Ray Liu
Ray Liu
Local time: 20:46
English to Chinese
Generally, you can change your keyboard layout Nov 24, 2009

If you are using window xp or vista or 2000 or 98

go to Control Panel -- Region and Language --- keyboard

Edwin den Boer
Edwin den Boer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
Replacing seems easier than QWER_YUIOPT Nov 24, 2009

Well, unless you're travelling, you can still connect a separate keyboard to the laptop, can't you?

[Edited at 2009-11-24 23:55 GMT]

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
If it's any consolation... Nov 24, 2009

... I spilt coffee into my laptop and it curled up and died.

So now I get hysterical if anyone comes within so much as 50m as me with liquids - but more to the point, I have been looking into the equivalent of "pluvial insurance".

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
For Windows, Nov 24, 2009

use Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to create a custom layout.

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
Latin to English
+ ...
Re getting new keyboard Nov 24, 2009

The fact that you are using a laptop does not prevent you getting a stand-alone keyboard and plugging it in to a USB port. In fact I have exactly that setup because I find it more ergonometrical -- one is farther back from the screen -- and because the stand-alone keyboard has the keys more widsly spaced and has a separate numerical keyboard. If you're willing to dispense with "bells and whistle" type functions that just repeat those ow Windows you can get a totally saticfactory keyboard for l... See more
The fact that you are using a laptop does not prevent you getting a stand-alone keyboard and plugging it in to a USB port. In fact I have exactly that setup because I find it more ergonometrical -- one is farther back from the screen -- and because the stand-alone keyboard has the keys more widsly spaced and has a separate numerical keyboard. If you're willing to dispense with "bells and whistle" type functions that just repeat those ow Windows you can get a totally saticfactory keyboard for less than $20. regards, TomCollapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My spacebar... Nov 24, 2009

The spacebar (on my laptop) broke about three weeks ago. Actually, the left-hand side broke, but the right-hand side still worked. So I thought that I may have to learn to tap the spacebar with my other thumb. But I was able to lift up the spacebar and figure out how it works and learnt that I had to fix a broken ring on the right-hand side of it to get the left-hand side working again.

If you're confident that the key is broken, try taking it off and seeing if you can fix it.

Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Japan
Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice Nov 24, 2009

Thank you all for the advice and consulation

I think I will hook it up to another keyboard (could be better for my back and posture in the long run) in the mean time and maybe see if Toshiba can fix it for me the next time I'm in Japan.

You are right Edwin- QWER_YUIOPT is a pain (particularly for the small finger on my right hand).

Rossa Ó Muireartaigh
Japan
Member (2004)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Erratum Nov 24, 2009

'Consolation' not 'consulation'

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
German to Lithuanian
A laptop-keyboard can be replaced, I think Nov 24, 2009

In the owners manual of my DELL laptop it is even shown, how to replace the keyboard.
You should ask a technician.

Regards,
Egiz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I change key on keyboard to type another letter

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »