Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Searching alternatives to Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express (Office 97)
Thread poster: Barbara Cashin (X)
Barbara Cashin (X)
Barbara Cashin (X)
Local time: 10:22
German to English
Nov 11, 2003

I've been using Microsoft Outlook (Office 97) for some time and recently I have been having continuous problems with sending mails with attachments. I can receive all mail. Almost all mail with no attachment goes. Mails with attachments sometimes go and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they go but I get a message to say they haven't gone. The combinations and permutations are rather endless. My husband is the techie here and found that fax software can cause a problem so it is advisable to untick... See more
I've been using Microsoft Outlook (Office 97) for some time and recently I have been having continuous problems with sending mails with attachments. I can receive all mail. Almost all mail with no attachment goes. Mails with attachments sometimes go and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they go but I get a message to say they haven't gone. The combinations and permutations are rather endless. My husband is the techie here and found that fax software can cause a problem so it is advisable to untick it in the setup. There was a slight improvement but still no consistency.

A) Has anyone else had this problem and if so, do you have an answer.

B) For some reason (and believe me, we've looked into that too and know that we would be OK with Office 2000 which we have on another machine, BUT we don't want to change to getting mail on that machine - it would mean buying a new firewall, new virus checker) we can't operate the filter function either - this would allow us to filter out at least some of the 100-200 odd junk mails we get every day. So the question is:
Is there anyone out there using another program? We tried the sponsored version of Eudora and again found occasional problems with sending mails. Some went, some didn't. The professional version of Eudora looks quite attractive because it has a junk mail filter function. I would quite like to buy it, but I still have this ---- problem. I don't want to fork out money for a program which I will end up not using.

I have been sending out mails with attachments through mail2web, but then I have no record of having sent it and I would like a neater solution.

Any information / help re fixes, alternatives will be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

JessicaC
JessicaC  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
English to Swedish
+ ...
Try Mozilla Nov 11, 2003

You could try products from the Mozilla project which is Open Source software.

Mozilla is the Web browser/Email/News etc combo.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a standalone email client.

Works great for me and also has good anti-spam functionality.

http://www.mozilla.org

Good Luck
/Jessica

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
The Bat Nov 11, 2003

I've just started using "The Bat", which was highly recommended by my fiancé who likes to test all these programs first.
It is far less susceptible to security vulnerabilities such as virus infections.
It allows a customization of the interface etc.
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

Sergey Kharitich
Sergey Kharitich  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:22
English to Russian
+ ...
The Bat! Nov 11, 2003

Hello!

Another great option is The Bat! (www.ritlabs.com/en). I have been with it for two years - not a single problem so far. You can download it for free, but will have to buy it after 30 days (sort of trial period). One GREAT advantage - the viruses composed specifically for Outlook (you know, many people dislike Microsoft and all their software) do not hit The Bat! - there is a technical reaso
... See more
Hello!

Another great option is The Bat! (www.ritlabs.com/en). I have been with it for two years - not a single problem so far. You can download it for free, but will have to buy it after 30 days (sort of trial period). One GREAT advantage - the viruses composed specifically for Outlook (you know, many people dislike Microsoft and all their software) do not hit The Bat! - there is a technical reason for that. Besides, according to a friend of mine, a professional programmer, there have been no new viruses that would affect The Bat! in the recent two years, so..

All my recommendations.

Sergey
Collapse

Gonzalo Garcia
Gonzalo Garcia
Spanish
+ ...
Eudora Nov 11, 2003

I've had no problems with Eudora in the past two years; but I don't think the change from sponsored to paid mode will solve the problems you've experienced with it.

All the best,

Gonzalo

[Edited at 2003-11-11 22:02]

Emilia Corsanego (X)
Emilia Corsanego (X)
German to Italian
+ ...
against junk e-mails Nov 11, 2003

try MailWasher
www.mailwasher.net

Good luck

Emilia

Tobias Ernst
Tobias Ernst  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
probably its not the mail program Nov 11, 2003

Hi!

>Has anyone else had this problem and if
>so, do you have an answer.

If your problem with sending mails really does persist after you have switched from Outlook to Eudora, then it is extremely likely that the mail-client (mail program) is not the culprit. You should investigate other sources of errors. These could be

a) Your e-mail provider. In order to check whether he is the problem, simply get a free e-mail account from a different provider (l
... See more
Hi!

>Has anyone else had this problem and if
>so, do you have an answer.

If your problem with sending mails really does persist after you have switched from Outlook to Eudora, then it is extremely likely that the mail-client (mail program) is not the culprit. You should investigate other sources of errors. These could be

a) Your e-mail provider. In order to check whether he is the problem, simply get a free e-mail account from a different provider (like www.fastmail.fm, yahoo, hotmail or similar - they all can be accessed via outlook) and see if sending mail works with that provider.

b) Your internet provider. In order to check whether this is the problem, get another internet account of the "pay as you go" type (without monthly fees) and try whether sending mail works better when you use that account. (Note, that if your e-mail provider and internet provider are identical, then you usually cannot access your e-mail when using a different internet provider - but if you have an independent e-mail provider, like yahoo or fastmail.fm, then you can access your e-mail independently of your internet provider).

c) The operating system of the particular computer you are using. What could have happend is that the TCP/IP-stack simply got wrecked up (happens with Windows 9x, though unlikely with Windows 2000 or XP) and you need a clean reinstall. What could also have happend is that one of the filters/firewalls you were talking about can't tell friend from enemy and is actively blocking you. To check that you ideally would have to get a different machine (or a spare hard disk / partition in your own machine), install a clean copy of Windows + Outlook on it, and see what happens then.

Buying new software is not what you want to do right now. Although there are far better e-mail programs out there than Outlook, the basic things like sending+receiving do work sufficiently in Outlook, so the problem is buried elsewhere, and buying new software won't help.

If you ask me what mail program I'd recommend, though, then I'D also suggest Mozilla. The fact that it is free does not make it worse than the others - its rather the other way round. Personally, I am using it basically on the grounds that it is the only mail program that does IMAP *and* can handle cyrillic, german and unicode characters and any mix of them, but other things about it are nice as well, e.g. the spam filter functionality.

Oh, and as for mail2web: In a free minute, why not try out www.fastmail.fm. That's a web based mail provider who does feature a "sent mails" folder. What's more, if you have an IMAP capable mail program (as Mozilla), you can automatically synchronize your e-mail program with the web page. That is, I usually work in Mozilla on my own computer (online or offline, Mozilla can do both), but when I'm on the road I can go to any internet cafe and log on to the Web page and see the same stuff that I see when using my Mozilla client.

Anybody who wants to try fastmail.fm, please enter Tobias "underscore" Ernst "at" eml "dot" cc into the "referrer" field. TNX.

With best regards,
Tobias.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
What about Pegasus? Nov 11, 2003

[quote]Barbara Cashin wrote:

Is there anyone out there using another program? We tried the sponsored version of Eudora and again found occasional problems with sending mails.

Have you tried Pegasus?

http://www.pmail.com/

It's free mail client that supports multiple addresses, can be used on a LAN, and is advertising-free.

I have found it works very well.

Cheers,

Giles

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Pegasus is great but... Nov 11, 2003

I like Poco 2.1!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
A very personal choice Nov 11, 2003

Hi,

IMHO an email program is a very personal choice. I have tried many, concentrating on those with the option *preview on server*.

My suggestion is to download the most famous email programs and try them one by one. Some of them aren't exactly very user-friendly at the beginning, but they offer very interesting options and features. It depends on your needs and preferences, therefore I won't suggest any program.

Still, I wouldn't choose a completely freewa
... See more
Hi,

IMHO an email program is a very personal choice. I have tried many, concentrating on those with the option *preview on server*.

My suggestion is to download the most famous email programs and try them one by one. Some of them aren't exactly very user-friendly at the beginning, but they offer very interesting options and features. It depends on your needs and preferences, therefore I won't suggest any program.

Still, I wouldn't choose a completely freeware, as they normally go with spyware....

Giuliana
Collapse

Mario Marcolin
Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Eudora Nov 11, 2003

Dear Barbara,
I have been using Eudora for ages, most recently the professional version which is worth every penny of the licence money. (As long as you clean out old mail regularly)

Since you're having attachment problems with both Outlook and Eudora, I don't think it's the software itself that is faulty. Perhaps something to do with network settings, attachment size or limitations on attachment imposed by your ISP..

Best regards,
Mario

Veritas
Veritas
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try Pegasus Mail! Nov 11, 2003

Regardless of your problems with Outlook Express, given that every e-mail virus specifically targets the program, I would change to another e-mail client as swiftly as possible.

Firewalls and anti-virus software are all very well, but they are by no means impregnable and the simple fact is that you are much more susceptible to virus attack if you are using Outlook - just look how many enterprises and organisations are temporarily paralysed every time a new virus emerges.
... See more
Regardless of your problems with Outlook Express, given that every e-mail virus specifically targets the program, I would change to another e-mail client as swiftly as possible.

Firewalls and anti-virus software are all very well, but they are by no means impregnable and the simple fact is that you are much more susceptible to virus attack if you are using Outlook - just look how many enterprises and organisations are temporarily paralysed every time a new virus emerges.

I've been using Pegasus Mail (http://pmail.com) for about 5 years and have only praise for the software.

It has absolutely every feature you could wish for and everything is fully configurable. It does take a little while to get used to and it's not as pretty as some other mail clients, but it does what you want it to, and if it doesn't then the user manual tells you how to change it.

Good luck.

Andrew Steel
Collapse

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
e-mail provider might be the problem Nov 11, 2003

Hi,

I have been using Eudora - the sponsored version - and find it excellent:-)

However, the problem you mention is certainly not related to the e-mail program but to the e-mail provider. If you have problems sending/receiving certain sort of messages that is for sure a problem with your provider. They will probably confirm this if you contact them.

You can also test your service sending the same messages to different accounts (different providers) or askin
... See more
Hi,

I have been using Eudora - the sponsored version - and find it excellent:-)

However, the problem you mention is certainly not related to the e-mail program but to the e-mail provider. If you have problems sending/receiving certain sort of messages that is for sure a problem with your provider. They will probably confirm this if you contact them.

You can also test your service sending the same messages to different accounts (different providers) or asking friends to do the same with your files.

In my opinion you should try this before buying/choosing a different software.

Hope this helps
Best regards,
Mónica Machado (MIL)

English into European Portuguese Translator
Member of APT and IOL & Associate Member of ITI
Portugal
E-mail: [email protected]
http://monicamachado.planetaclix.pt
Collapse

Wayne Sutton (X)
Wayne Sutton (X)
French to English
It was the ISP in my case Nov 11, 2003

I had a similar problem in France a while back with W98 and Outlook Express. I went through the whole routine of trying another mail program, disabling the antivirus, reinstalling W98 etc etc until the Microsoft hel
... See more

I had a similar problem in France a while back with W98 and Outlook Express. I went through the whole routine of trying another mail program, disabling the antivirus, reinstalling W98 etc etc until the Microsoft help desk indicated that they had had had numerous calls on the same subject and the one thing they all had in common was the ISP. The ISP in question finally owned up but it took literally months for them to sort it. In the maintime, I signed up to a second ISP to make sure that customers got their files on time.
Collapse

JessicaC
JessicaC  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Open Source code less likely to contain malicious code Nov 11, 2003

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Still, I wouldn't choose a completely freeware, as they normally go with spyware....

Giuliana

I would like to make the opposite statement.
Open Source software which is normally free
(to use) is less likely to have spyware, back
doors or other malicious code since the
source code is open for (review by) everyone by its license.

In closed-source products only the programmer
knows what's inside.

/Jessica

[Edited at 2003-11-11 22:02]

[Edited at 2003-11-12 08:07]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching alternatives to Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express (Office 97)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »