Black-out: no connection
Thread poster: Soizic CiFuentes

Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:17
Member (2003)
English to French
Nov 15, 2003

I experienced a black-out a week ago in my neighborhood. Nothing big for most but I was a nervous wreck since I had a deadline to respect. Fortunately I was almost done. Another project manager had emailed me a small urgent project that I had to decline because of the other deadline. I might have been able to do it but I had preferred to stay on the wise side. How well inspired was I! Now imagine if I had accepted. With the black-out I never would have been able to be on time and it would have been bad for my reputation.
What kind of back-up do fellow translators use when facing such a situation?
The second manager is a new client and I have store her info in my computer. I would not have been able to call her to let her know about the delay.
What a lesson!

Direct link Reply with quote

mrippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:17
English to Italian
UPS and a laptop connected to your network Nov 15, 2003

soizic wrote:

What kind of back-up do fellow translators use when facing such a situation?

Hi,
I use an UPS protecting my server and I have also a laptop connected to my network. With a reasonable data back-up policy, this protects me quite well from power failures. I would also reccomend some protection criteria in case of hard disk/CPU failures.
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines/cable issues, for delivering very urgent jobs.

[Edited at 2003-11-17 01:05]

Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:17
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Good ideas Nov 16, 2003

Thanks Massimo! I am going to save your email. Your suggestions are very helpful.

Soizic

[/quote]
I use an UPS protecting my server and I have also a laptop connected to my network. With a reasonable data back-up policy, this protects me quite well from power failures. I would also reccomend some protection criteria in case of hard disk/CPU failures.
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines issues, for delivering very urgent jobs.

[Edited at 2003-11-15 20:53][/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Black-out: no connection

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs