Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:30
Czech to German
+ ...
Nov 18, 2003

Hi all,

does anyone have experience with AbiWord? Is it worth while downloading?

Thanks in advance!

Charlotte

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Abiword Nov 18, 2003

I use Abiword from time to time. It is a "lightweight" word processor with fewer features than MS Word, although features are being added all the time; styles and tables for example were not available in earlier versions but have now been added.

It is not really fair to compare Abiword to Word. Consider using Abiword if you have an old PC or laptop on which Word runs very slowly.

For a more comparable alternative to Word, the obvious choice is OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice
... See more
I use Abiword from time to time. It is a "lightweight" word processor with fewer features than MS Word, although features are being added all the time; styles and tables for example were not available in earlier versions but have now been added.

It is not really fair to compare Abiword to Word. Consider using Abiword if you have an old PC or laptop on which Word runs very slowly.

For a more comparable alternative to Word, the obvious choice is OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org offers much the same features as Word, as well as being a full office suite like MS Office, capable of handling files in Excel and PowerPoint format as well as Word files.

A compromise, with more functions and better compatiblity with MS Word than Abiword, but much faster than OpenOffice.org, is Textmaker.

Abiword and OpenOffice.org are free. Textmaker costs around 50 Euros, but was on offer recently for 11.11 Euros plus postage.

There are several other alternatives to Word, notably Hancom Office.

Marc
Collapse

Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Can you somehow... Nov 11, 2005

...use AbiWord with Trados? The only solution I came up with would be export to XML and import into TagEditor, then clean, reimport and save as doc/rtf.

I have not used AbiWord much, but it seems to me very slow in some instances, for example when pasting large amounts of text. What takes one or two seconds in Word can take twenty in AbiWord.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:30
English to Spanish
Heartsome XLIFF Editor supports Abiword Nov 11, 2005

silvermane wrote:

...use AbiWord with Trados? The only solution I came up with would be export to XML and import into TagEditor, then clean, reimport and save as doc/rtf.

Hi,

Heartsome's tools ( http://www.heartsome.net ), support Abiword native XML format. You can translate .abw files using HS XLIFF Editor.

If you need Trados compatibility, Save the Abiword file as RTF and then use RTFStyler (included in Heartsome's tools and freely available at http://www.maxprograms.com ) to convert the RTF into "uncleaned RTF". Translate with HS XLIFF Editor and you will have a Trados-compatible uncleaned file. You can clean the translatd file with RTFCleaner (also included with heartsome's tools and available at Maxprograms).

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo

Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
$$$ issues Nov 12, 2005

Heartsome's tools ( http://www.heartsome.net ), support Abiword native XML format. You can translate .abw files using HS XLIFF Editor.

Sure, but it costs bucks. I would not risk to pay 100 USD for a tool that I would have to learn from the ground up instead of working directly in the word processor.

So is there a trados6.dot equivalent for AbiWord/OpenOffice or not?

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:30
English to Spanish
Don't risk, get a demo Nov 12, 2005

silvermane wrote:

Sure, but it costs bucks. I would not risk to pay 100 USD

There no risk. You can request a demo and buy only if you like the tool.

Rodolfo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AbiWord?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »