Thread poster: Pablo Grosschmid

Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 24, 2003

Hi Henry, hi All,

I apologize if this subject has been already discussed.
I spend time and resources to keep preventive measure against a HW or SW crash, coffe or schotch on the PC, laptop theft, etc. I have been looking for Web storage solutions, but did not find anything affordable and trustworthy. Since I assume that many translators have the same problems, fears and needs, maybe Henry could set up such a thing in ProZ (to help us while improving the Site's cash-flow).

Ideal would be a Web Storage Area (with boxes of different sizes starting at, say, 20 GB), where we could "park" in a single and sure place all that stuff that steadily accumulates, with auto backup online for folders with variable content. If it could also be used for transfers of large files among members, happiness would be somewhat nearer.

[Edited at 2003-11-24 18:51]

[Edited at 2003-11-24 18:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:07
English to Bulgarian
Have you tried the Xythos Web File Server? Nov 24, 2003

http://www.sharemation.com

Free registration, excellent for storing files, as well as sharing (incl. selective sharing). Regretfully, only 5MB of space, plus I think they have some traffic limitation, like max 5 MB/hour (not sure, never reached it ) Not the fastest site I've seen either.

Anyway, I've been using it for nearly two years, to store files that I need to access comfortably from anywhere, as well as to share files selectively.

Note: believe it or not - no ads !!!

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Your internet provider Nov 24, 2003

Doesn't your internet provider offer such a facility ? Usually you have 50 or 100 Mg free to use on their server.Or maybe more, it depends. People usually use it for a webpage.

Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Range 20 to 100 GB Nov 24, 2003

Thanks for the info, can be helpful for those who need it only for latest working files, I already have 200 MB at a website hoster, but I was really thinking of storage in the range of 20+ GB (I have already nearly 50 GB of stuff).

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
Danish to English
+ ...
storage Nov 24, 2003

I have installed a secondary 40 GB drive on my PC. These can be purchased as stand-alone or as unit that can be inserted inside the PC. I have the drive marked D where my primary is C. Once in a while I backup the whole C to the D, whereas I have a read/write CD on which I store my translation projects. Each client has its own CD. I just copy from C to the CD in the same format as on my C drive. Additionally, I used 100 MB Iomega zip for small backups.

I have found the D drive the easiest to work with.

Yes, I have drives marked A, C, D, E, F, where the A is the small floppy, C the primary 80 GB drive, D a 40 GB drive, E the read/write and F the Iomega zip.

This works for me.

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
USB HD Nov 24, 2003

With current prices, I find it more convenient to have an external USB HD, and just keep it separate from my PC when not in use.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
That's first time I hear about USB HD, txnx, I'll check it out, Nov 24, 2003

but normaly I backup all permanent files on secondary remowable HDD (as it is not USB, it needs restarting the computer at the turning on and off) and write all daily backups on 1 or 2 rewritable CD's. Withy current speeds it takes about 5-7 minutes a day. But the idea of USB HDD seems excellent, txnx once more

Uldis
Luca Tutino wrote:
With current prices, I find it more convenient to have an external USB HD, and just keep it separate from my PC when not in use.

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
external harddrive: USB 1.1 versus 2.0 Nov 25, 2003

I recently bought an external USB HD (20 GB) which works with USB 1.1 and 2.0 - I only had USB 1.1 on both my laptop and my desktop. It was extremely slow (12 Mbit/s), so I installed a USB 2.0 PCI card into my desktop and a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card into my laptop. The transfer rate is now 480 Mbit/s (40x times faster!). The other advantage of USB 2.0 is that it has 5V output so that the HD doesn't need the external power source as it does for the USB 1.1. I now backup everything onto CD-ROMs as before, and also have everything needed for daily work on the external HD along with reference materials etc. so that I can easily swap between the desktop and laptop when they are not in the same network. You can get these externals with huge capacities (e.g. 160 GB), but they are also large and heavy (over 1 kg), while mine weighs only 200 g.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Storage and Backup

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums