adding comments in Acrobat Reader
Thread poster: Sarah Ponting

Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:21
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2003

I've got a short text to revise and the client asked me to write my notes directly to the pdf file in the form of comments. I know Reader won't let you alter the file, but the notes/comments are apparently saved in the form of a separate file that accompanies the original.

I've consulted the manual, but although it does mention comments, I can't find how to add them. I've checked that the file is not protected, so this isn't stopping me. Is anyone familiar with this function?

TIA

Sarah

PS Perhaps it's only possible to add comments using the full version of Acrobat and not Reader?

[Edited at 2003-11-28 10:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

moconnor
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
You need Adobe Acrobat Nov 28, 2003

Hi

I think your client is a bit confused as my understanding is that you need the full Adobe Acrobat product to be able to add comments of your own onto a pdf (which does indeed create a separate .fdf file that can be sent directly with the pdf, or extracted and sent individually, as required) - unfortunately, Acrobat Reader will allow you to view existing comments only, even if the pdf file is not security protected.

Mike

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
You can download Nov 28, 2003

a 30-days evaluation version from Adobe. However, it is a 200 MB file, so it is hardly acceptable for modem users.
Regards
Andrzej

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
UltraPDF Nov 28, 2003

Hi Sarah, I think you may be able to do something similar to what you want by using UltraPDF, made by the same people who make and distribute PDF995.
I'm sure that one of the versions they make is free (paid for by advertisements) and it certainly allows you to attach other files to your .pdf files as well as a whole host of other things, so it might be a way of achieving what you have to do just now for this particular client, rather than splashing out on the full version of Acrobat.

Cheers.

Sandy

pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:21
English to French
+ ...
Adobe Illustrator Nov 28, 2003

This is what I use.
Open the PDF file with Illustrator.
Then add your comments and save your doc as a PDF format.
I hope this can help.

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Acrobat vs. Adobe Reader Nov 29, 2003

moconnor wrote:

you need the full Adobe Acrobat product to be able to add comments
Mike

Now, there are two flavors of Acrobat (version 6.0), Standard and Professional, costing $449 and $299, respectively.

Incidentally, Adobe now calls the freeware "Adobe Reader," not "Adobe Acrobat Reader," although it is still listed under the "Acrobat Family" in the Adobe website. They seem to want to make a clear distinction between the real Acrobat and the free Reader, because so many people confuse the two.

Considering the high prices of these programs, I have acquired my copy through ebay.

Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 29, 2003

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll probably buy the full version of Acrobat as it's such a nuisance not being able to manipulate pdf files, but for this was such a small and urgent job that it wasn't worth the trouble.

Sarah

moconnor
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Acrobat functionality Dec 1, 2003

Fuad Yahya wrote:

Now, there are two flavors of Acrobat (version 6.0), Standard and Professional, costing $449 and $299, respectively.

Incidentally, Adobe now calls the freeware \"Adobe Reader,\" not \"Adobe Acrobat Reader,\" although it is still listed under the \"Acrobat Family\" in the Adobe website. They seem to want to make a clear distinction between the real Acrobat and the free Reader, because so many people confuse the two.

Considering the high prices of these programs, I have acquired my copy through ebay.

That\'s right. Off the top of my head, the main differences are that you will need Acrobat Pro if you need to use form field functionaility in pdfs, and also if you require the Acrobat Catalog tool to create searchable indexes - both more useful for technical authoring than translating, I would think. The ability to add and modify comments as far as I know is available in both Pro and Standard.

I\'m a member of the Adobe.com Acrobat user-to-user forum, and so many people confuse the Reader with full Acrobat...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

adding comments in Acrobat Reader

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs