What to do with JPEGs?
Thread poster: uFO

uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 01:53
Korean to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2003

In the text I have received from a private client there is one little chart which is a picture inserted in a word document in JPEG format. I don’t want to make a big deal about (there is about 15 words in the chart). I tried to decode it with text recognition software, but it didn’t work. Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:53
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Give the translation next to the picture Dec 3, 2003

If you want to do your client a favour, put the translation of the words next to or underneath the picture.

[cat=chat, dog=chien, bird=oiseau]

Regards,
Gerard

uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 01:53
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
details Dec 3, 2003

It's like a pie chart with coloured sections referring to different countries. The names of the countries need to be translated. I cannot take them out (probably I can, but I don't know how).If I just write them under the chart, it will be unclear what is what and English names will be still visible.

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There are several easy ways to do it. Dec 3, 2003

You can use a graphic editor (like photoshop or corel paint) and just erase the original text and write the translation. This is the easiest way.

If you work in word, you can also make text boxes with white background and no border, place them over the original text, and group everything.

If they're just a few words, your client will appreciate the extra work, and it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to do it.

Regards

Edwal

http://www.proz.com/home/4951/

[Edited at 2003-12-03 18:39]

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:53
Member (2002)
French to English
Insert chart Dec 3, 2003

Word (Insert/Picture/Chart/Chart) will let you insert your own pie chart, which you can label accordingly.

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
English to French
Comments Dec 3, 2003

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

You can use a graphic editor (like photoshop or corel paint) and just erase the original text and write the translation. This is the easiest way.

If you work in word, you can also make text boxes with white background and no border, place them over the original text, and group everything.

If they're just a few words, your client will appreciate the extra work, and it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to do it.

Regards

Edwal

You assume the background is white or at least, a solid color. That's not necessarily the case, and if not, it's gonna take a bit more then a simple "erase", which you can not actually do, since jpeg doesn't support layers (you can paint over the text, or you can erase to recover the paper color -usually white- but you can't erase the text in a jpg file).

If the background is a plain color (especially if white) follow the instructions, and do it.

But in case it is not a plain color, it will take some time to get a good result, that is, if you can. Don't touch it. I would advise you type the translation in a separate file, as was previously suggested.

The graphic file was probably not created directly in JPG and that means your customer probably has a layered format, either Corel or Adobe, allowing him to enter the text, with the right font and all. Let him do it. (Besides, do you have Corel or Photoshop?)

If he insists in having you to do it, and that you don't have the needed software, download the gimp (excellent freeware), but by all means charge for your time.

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
I couldn't agree more!! Dec 3, 2003

[quote]sylver wrote:

You assume the background is white or at least, a solid color. That's not necessarily the case, and if not, it's gonna take a bit more then a simple "erase", which you can not actually do, since jpeg doesn't support layers (you can paint over the text, or you can erase to recover the paper color -usually white- but you can't erase the text in a jpg file).

If the background is a plain color (especially if white) follow the instructions, and do it.

But in case it is not a plain color, it will take some time to get a good result, that is, if you can. Don't touch it. I would advise you type the translation in a separate file, as was previously suggested.

The graphic file was probably not created directly in JPG and that means your customer probably has a layered format, either Corel or Adobe, allowing him to enter the text, with the right font and all. Let him do it. (Besides, do you have Corel or Photoshop?)

If he insists in having you to do it, and that you don't have the needed software, download the gimp (excellent freeware), but by all means charge for your time.

I've done quite a lot of graphic editing and although it can be sometimes a 10 minutes task, even something that looks very simple might also turn into a nightmare.
If your case is the latter, and the client wants YOU to do it, I would advice you to charge the graphics editing by the hour.
Best of luck!
Grace.

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestions Dec 3, 2003

You assume the background is white or at least, a solid color. That's not necessarily the case, and if not, it's gonna take a bit more then a simple "erase"

When I say "erase" I don't mean necessarily to delete pixels. Perhaps you can make a white (or background color) box and cover the word with it. When translating plain, businesslike reports (not ad brochures or high-end DTP-ed material) you can use white, the background color or an approximate fill Since the document is in Word, I suppose that is the case.

If it's a DTP-ed document, I agree.

Well, I do have Corel. But if not, I gave a suggestion using Word.

Did I said do it for free? I don't think so.
I was only giving a time-estimate based on my experience and what he said (15 words).

My policy is: If it's easy and fast, I don't charge. If it's not-so-easy and not-so-fast, I charge.

Anyway, if I can deliver a better work with a few minutes (emphasis in "few") of extra work, I do it.

[Edited at 2003-12-03 22:48]

[Edited at 2003-12-03 22:50]

olimpia martinelli
English to Italian
+ ...
It is the best solution if u have a picture editor Dec 4, 2003

Your client would appreciate!!! Otherwise just add a comment to your word document with the words translated!!!

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

Regards

Edwal

[Edited at 2003-12-03 18:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do with JPEGs?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs