Thread poster: angibi
angibi
angibi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 13, 2003

Excel files are divided in pages that I retrieve clicking on the tabs at the bottom: if I want to search for one word with the "search" feature, how can I search in the whole document, instead of having to click on each page to look for it??

It must be easy but I just can't figure it out.

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Keep "Control" pressed, and click on each tab. Dec 13, 2003

That selects all pages, then go ahead with the search (ControlF)

However, if the term you are looking for is on two or more different pages, the search will only find one of them. I've no idea why.

Linda Switten
Linda Switten
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
select workbook Dec 19, 2003

Hi,

it is very simple. Just click CTRL-F. You will have an option in that window to display the options, if they aren't already displayed. There you just select next to within "workbook". You give in the term/phrase that you want to look for and then you hit find all. In the CTRL-F window, all terms will be displayed in one go (so it doesn't only find one at a time) then with the corresponding page/sheet and cell number.

Good luck.

Regards,

Li
... See more
Hi,

it is very simple. Just click CTRL-F. You will have an option in that window to display the options, if they aren't already displayed. There you just select next to within "workbook". You give in the term/phrase that you want to look for and then you hit find all. In the CTRL-F window, all terms will be displayed in one go (so it doesn't only find one at a time) then with the corresponding page/sheet and cell number.

Good luck.

Regards,

Linda
Collapse

angibi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
click CTRL-F Dec 20, 2003

tortuga wrote:

Hi,

Good luck.

Regards,

Linda

Thank you! But when I click that nothing happens: I just hear a "click" noise!!!

Linda Switten
Linda Switten
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
what doesn't work? Dec 20, 2003

Hi,

can you specify when exactly you just only hear a clicking noise? Is it the CTRL-F that doesn't work? Is it the find all? Where exactly does the process stop?

Regards,

Linda

angibi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's the CTRL-F! Dec 20, 2003

tortuga wrote:

Hi,

can you specify when exactly you just only hear a clicking noise? Is it the CTRL-F that doesn't work? Is it the find all? Where exactly does the process stop?

Regards,

Linda

It's the CTRL-F that does not work. But I tried Cilian's suggestion on my husband's computer, with a higher version of Excel, and it worked (it does not with the older version on my computer). Maybe it depends on the version.
Thank you!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

search in Excel

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »