Mobile menu

Off topic: cannot open an old wordperfect file
Thread poster: mientxu_b
mientxu_b
Spain
Local time: 08:47
English to Spanish
Dec 15, 2003

In 1993 I typed a huge novel written by my father(it took me three months)and filed it in a disk. I worked with wordperfect at the time. Now there is an editor interested in publishing it, but I cannot open the file to see if it is all in one disk.
I'd be very grateful for your help

Mirentxu

Direct link Reply with quote

nothing
Local time: 07:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try with word Dec 15, 2003

Word can open files from several versions of Wordperfect. You will loose some formatting but you can read it and then save it as something else. If the version of Wordperfect you used is older than 5.0, try opening it from word as "recover text from any file" as file type. You will get lots of other text too, like programme codes, but at least you can get your father's novel.

maq
English to Swedish
+ ...
Microsoft Works Word Processor Dec 15, 2003

I have opened WordPerfect files with Microsoft Works Word Processor. Works files can then be opened with Word. But perhaps it depends on which version of WordPerfect it is.
Good luck!
MQ

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Wordperfect 5.x/ 6.0? Dec 15, 2003

If this was 1993, you probably used WP 6.0, possibly 5.1 (DOS based).

MS Word has filters for opening WP files, but your file could have a WPD extension, in which case MS Word won't "see" it, unless you tell it to look for all files (*.*).

You could also try looking for one of the 14 people still using WP

Make sure you have a backup copy of the original file somewhere and expreiment on another copy.

davidgreen
German to English
download word perfect converter Dec 15, 2003

Try cnet.com or other similar sites for free download of wordperfect converter application. otherwise, another possibility is to try opening the novel with notepad or wordpad. otherwise, type "cannot open word perfect file" into google and see what you get. Good luck, i'm sure you'll get it open one way or another.

mientxu_b
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved, thanks a lot Dec 19, 2003

nothing wrote:

Word can open files from several versions of Wordperfect. You will loose some formatting but you can read it and then save it as something else. If the version of Wordperfect you used is older than 5.0, try opening it from word as "recover text from any file" as file type. You will get lots of other text too, like programme codes, but at least you can get your father's novel.

mientxu_b
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER

mq wrote:

I have opened WordPerfect files with Microsoft Works Word Processor. Works files can then be opened with Word. But perhaps it depends on which version of WordPerfect it is.
Good luck!
MQ

I have opened the wordperfect file with Microsoft Works Word Processor as you suggested, it's been very easy. Thank you again and Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

mientxu_b
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER

PAS wrote:

If this was 1993, you probably used WP 6.0, possibly 5.1 (DOS based).

MS Word has filters for opening WP files, but your file could have a WPD extension, in which case MS Word won't "see" it, unless you tell it to look for all files (*.*).

You could also try looking for one of the 14 people still using WP

Make sure you have a backup copy of the original file somewhere and expreiment on another copy.

mientxu_b
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER

David Green wrote:

Try cnet.com or other similar sites for free download of wordperfect converter application. otherwise, another possibility is to try opening the novel with notepad or wordpad. otherwise, type "cannot open word perfect file" into google and see what you get. Good luck, i'm sure you'll get it open one way or another.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot open an old wordperfect file

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs