Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:33
English to German
+ ...
Work around Dec 21, 2003

Possible causes are:
- a wrong code page (you could try switching 850 and 437 in autoexec.bat and config sys),
- an unusual font or language in Word,
- or what the heck..

My preferred work around would be to customize the Autocorrect function of Word. This way you could continue to type the old numbers or even better mnemonics.

Have fun,

Harry

[Edited at 2003-12-21 09:31]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
Member (2004)
English to Italian
press the Num Lock key on your keyboard.... Dec 21, 2003

G

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use ANSI instead Dec 21, 2003

The ANSI codes consist of a NILL followed by three numbers, ie ALT+0185 for ¹ and so on.
Use Charmap in Windows to see the proper code for each character.

You may find some help here: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/

Kind regards
Jerzy

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answers but... Dec 21, 2003

I've tried all of these solutions. I think I have some malware installed that is not being picked up by Ad aware or Spy bot. Something like Huntbar or similar that hijacks special characters.It isn't Huntbar because I checked for it (I had it before and managed to remove it). Spy bot did find 'onsrvr' on my system and removed it all (I checked).

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
(provisional?) solution Dec 22, 2003

Just to be able to continue with your work, you could copy all special letters you need (up to 12) to your clipboard, and write with pen and paper which letter is saved under which "button", for instance:
01: ¿
02: ¡
03: `
04: ñ

You have to copy them from an existing document, of course, since you can't produce them now.
If your clipboard isn't visible yet, you can get it by clicking with your right mouse button (all mouse buttons are right, but I me
... See more
Just to be able to continue with your work, you could copy all special letters you need (up to 12) to your clipboard, and write with pen and paper which letter is saved under which "button", for instance:
01: ¿
02: ¡
03: `
04: ñ

You have to copy them from an existing document, of course, since you can't produce them now.
If your clipboard isn't visible yet, you can get it by clicking with your right mouse button (all mouse buttons are right, but I mean not the left or the middle one) on the tool bar and select clipboard or by selecting somewhat and press two times in a row on Ctrl + C.
You move the clipboard to the upper right corner of your document and the only thing you have to do to produce a ¿ is to click on the first "button", "sheet", item (or whatever you'd like to call it) of the clipboard.

After exercising some time ... it works quite well, actually easier than the Ascii code method, but there is an awfull drawback: you can't copy and past text, because you clear the first button when you copy the 13th time.

By the way, I think putting a ¿ or a ¡ in front of the sentence , like Spanish does, is quite illuminating. It tells you in front that a question or an exclamation will follow. In Latin an exclamation was often preceded by "óh" to signal the listener. See for instance http://members.tripod.com/~lklivingston/caesar/5-3.html : Oh Cassius, Brutus gave the word too early.
This ó evaluated into ! and was moved to the end of the sentence. Now the reader mainly has to discover the "pitch" of the text from the grammatical structure, and find this confirmed at the end of the sentence. The Spanish linguists / lawmakers or whatever were so clever to preserve this old methode and adapt it, so you can see whether you are at the beginning of the end of the sentence.
¡Buen pájaros, estos españoles!

¿¿¿But ... why actually don't they do the same with the full stop, so a raised . in front of the sentence???

[Edited at 2003-12-23 10:29]
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Another workaround... Dec 23, 2003

From the Windows Start menu choose Run, enter CHARMAP.EXE and then OK. Chose the chracter you need and then click Select and Copy to copy it in the clipboard. Depending on the version of the OS you are using (I assume you are using Windows), you could need to install the Character Map utility in Add/Remove Windows Components.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have become a lot wiser Dec 24, 2003

Thank you for all your replies. I have become a lot wiser and I like that. When I find a way of resolving the issue permanently, I will post again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »