What does typesetting mean?
Thread poster: tip
tip
Thailand
Local time: 06:37
English to Thai
+ ...
Dec 23, 2003

My customer asked if I can do my language typesetting. What does it mean?

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 18:37
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Layout Dec 23, 2003

It means can you lay out the document. It's the old-fashioned way of saying desktop publishing

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
what typesetting means Dec 23, 2003

When you give your manuscript [in word] to a printer [today in electronic form], they create the pages as they will look when published.

There are various ways to do this. One of the most popular is to use a program like PAGEMAKER, which puts the texts into the lay-out that will be used to be printed. It's not just layout but also the FONTS and the SPACING that will be used.

When you print out the Pagemaker text, it then looks like what you will get when you actually have it printed. That is called a proof. Page proofs are used to make corrections to the final printed page before it is printed.

What you client is asking you to do can be done but you must charge extra for it. It is an entire profession.

Cheers

In the old days, printers used pieces of lead typeface. Each letter was engraved in revers on a lead piece and they formed the text BY HAND with these lead pieces. When a page was formed,[when the type was "set"] they would print it and give it back to the client for proofreading. Changes to the page proofs required them to go back to the lead pieces [a form, I think] and reset the type.

Cheers

P_K_Warrier  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:07
English to Malayalam
+ ...
Typesetting means.. Dec 23, 2003

tip wrote:

My customer asked if I can do my language typesetting. What does it mean?

Typesetting means, typing the language on a PC in a specific program, say Pagemaker, Word, etc. ready to print or mail.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:37
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The traditional meaning Dec 23, 2003

was setting a text into type. This meant also selecting the fonts and typefaces to be used.

After typesetting, the text was given back for proofing, and only after no mistakes were found any longer was it arranged on the page (layout), using galley sheets.

Desktop publishing makes it possible to integrate these two steps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does typesetting mean?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs