Thread poster: tip
tip
tip
Thailand
Local time: 06:35
English to Thai
+ ...
Dec 23, 2003

My customer asked if I can do my language typesetting. What does it mean?

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 19:35
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Layout Dec 23, 2003

It means can you lay out the document. It's the old-fashioned way of saying desktop publishing

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
what typesetting means Dec 23, 2003

When you give your manuscript [in word] to a printer [today in electronic form], they create the pages as they will look when published.

There are various ways to do this. One of the most popular is to use a program like PAGEMAKER, which puts the texts into the lay-out that will be used to be printed. It's not just layout but also the FONTS and the SPACING that will be used.

When you print out the Pagemaker text, it then looks like what you will get when you actually
... See more
When you give your manuscript [in word] to a printer [today in electronic form], they create the pages as they will look when published.

There are various ways to do this. One of the most popular is to use a program like PAGEMAKER, which puts the texts into the lay-out that will be used to be printed. It's not just layout but also the FONTS and the SPACING that will be used.

When you print out the Pagemaker text, it then looks like what you will get when you actually have it printed. That is called a proof. Page proofs are used to make corrections to the final printed page before it is printed.

What you client is asking you to do can be done but you must charge extra for it. It is an entire profession.

Cheers

In the old days, printers used pieces of lead typeface. Each letter was engraved in revers on a lead piece and they formed the text BY HAND with these lead pieces. When a page was formed,[when the type was "set"] they would print it and give it back to the client for proofreading. Changes to the page proofs required them to go back to the lead pieces [a form, I think] and reset the type.

Cheers
Collapse

PULAKKAD WARRIER
PULAKKAD WARRIER  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:05
English to Malayalam
+ ...
Typesetting means.. Dec 23, 2003

tip wrote:

My customer asked if I can do my language typesetting. What does it mean?

Typesetting means, typing the language on a PC in a specific program, say Pagemaker, Word, etc. ready to print or mail.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
The traditional meaning Dec 23, 2003

was setting a text into type. This meant also selecting the fonts and typefaces to be used.

After typesetting, the text was given back for proofing, and only after no mistakes were found any longer was it arranged on the page (layout), using galley sheets.

Desktop publishing makes it possible to integrate these two steps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does typesetting mean?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »